“Friendly Hotel”

Ranked #211 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Tehran
“Friendly Hotel”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in June 2012 for 3 nights . It was my second trip to Istanbul.In my opinion there are two excellent location in Istanbul for choosing hotel. Around Taksim square and around Sultan ahmet square .First time I chose Taksim and this time Behind the Haja Sophia sq( near Sultanahmet sq).Both locations are perfect . If you are fan of old city and historical sightseeing ( instead of shopping and night life) I highly recommend this hotel.The hotel is very friendly and some how a family business. Nataly is the wonderful key person( of this family) and usually you can find her from 8am till 5 pm. She is so kind and speaks English very well therefore has the roll of concierge perfect.( if you dont know turkish it is very valubale).Hotel has just 10 rooms.
Rooms types are different so check the type before confirmation.My room was modern, clean and pleasant.WIFI was free and good .
We had noise pollution from outside ( if you are kin about noise).
Breakfast was average or good , not excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Alireza123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Eternity Hotel has a great location just a few steps away from Topkapi Palace and Hagia Sophia. It’s really right in the centre of the main attractions of Istanbul. Natalie at the reception was extremely helpful and added to making our stay in Istanbul perfect. We stayed on the top floor in Eternity Azure. Watch out, there is no elevator. Plus is gets really hot in the top floor rooms. There is AC, but you really can’t sleep without it. The view of the private balcony to Mamara Sea (not the Bosporus, be aware) is very nice. However, what is not mentioned anywhere and worth knowing is that next to the private balcony of the room, there is a common balcony for all residents of the hotel … the big window of Eternity Azure has view on the common balcony!!! So being in Eternity Azure feels a bit like living inside a shop-window. There are blinds, but still. During our stay it was extremely hot, so hotel guests did not use the common balcony. But that was luck. Nonetheless I was disappointed not to have been informed about this fact prior to booking the room. It is an expensive room, it is really unfair to hide this important detail. I would definitely not recommend Eternity Azure to honeymooners. Overall the room does not look as fancy in real than on the website. A common thing with hotel rooms, I know - however, believe me the book shelf you see on the website just doesn't exist. That's kind of strange. The hotel is located at the end of a very busy street and it is quite loud. Breakfast was average. If you want an cappuccino, you need to pay extra. For the price of the hotel room, I would have expected it to be included. I have to add that Eternity Hotel was our second hotel in Istanbul and we adored the first one (which was cheaper and better). Overall Eternity Hotel did not match my expectations, which were pretty high thanks to the good ratings published here. Unfortunately I have to disagree with them. If you have more than two days to visit Istanbul and you appreciate stylish bars and the modern part of a city, you are better off to check on the hotels in Pera. I think you get a better deal for your money there and with the tram you are still only a few stops away from Sultanahmet district.

4 Thank CH_traveller_12
, General Manager at Eternity Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear Hotel Guest

Fırst we would lıke to thank you for your stay ın our hotel,and thank you for your good words for our crew and thank you for your time spent to write your review

BUT Please accept some of our objectıons about your revıew ın order to ınform correctly the next guests who wıll prefer to spend theır vacatıon ın thıs neighborhood and ın thıs very particularly modern buıld and decorated hotel wıth good hotel guests ratıngs(wıth thıs opportunity we would lıke to thank them agaın ), in this historical neighborhood of Istanbul

1-All the rooms have air-conditioning workıng 24 hours a day non stop ,every room has also theır remote control for just ın case you would lıke to adjust theır temperature to a desıred level

2-The vıew of the prıvate balcony ıs MARMARA SEA,ISLANDS, and the begınnıng of the 30 kılometer long BOSPHORUS STRAIT ,(ı hope you were not expecting to see the whole length of the STRAIT from the balcony)

3-The bıg glass of the room you have been welcomed ıs a non see through glass ıf you look from outsıde –ınsıde,but from ınsıde you can see outsıde and ı am very surprısed to read you dıd not notıce ıt !! (even dough you have been ınformed after you wanted to know what kınd of glass ıt was) Plus as you have mentıoned too,there ıs a ceılıng to floor blınd for someone who wants to use ıt

4-The book shelf has been destroyed by hotel guests just before you and it wıll be replaced as soon as the carpenter decorator wıll delıver us the new one

The room you have been welcomed as you know ıs on the 3rd floor of the hotel and the noıse of the Street wıth the bars and pubs(whıch ıs quıte far from our locatıon )can not be heard in the entire building and also when you are ın your room because of the solıd doors and double glazed wındows !

As for our buffet breakfast: 18 various cold breakfast dishes,cheese, ham salami etc.,plus homemade warm served pies ,10 different tastes of jams and honey, two different kind of olives,fresh fruit's,dry fruit's,fresh vegetables,four different kind of cornflakes, cold and hot milk, tea varieties, coffee, fresh egg varieties, fresh and concentrated fruit juices,8 to 10 different type of cookies, homemade cakes ,fresh yogurt, yogurts with fruits ,croissants, 5 different kind of daily fresh breads ıs average to you ??

Unlımıted coffee and tea variety's are served at the breakfast tıme and all the other brands lıke cappuccıno and espresso etc. ıs subject to charge lıke ın every other hotel and ıt ıs declared ın our hotels breakfast room wıth a sıgn with theır prıces on a spot where anybody can see.

As fort the stylısh bars and the modern parts of a cıty comment .Istanbul ıs a cıty wıth all kınds of entertaınment for all kınd of tastes.But thıs neighborhood happens to be a hıstorıcal dıstrıct of thıs great cıty wıth hıstorıcal monuments lıke TOPKAPI PALACE ,AGIA SOPHIA MUSEUM and many many others. And ın my humble opınıon , ıt ıs more suıtable for the guests who are more ınto vısıt,see and admıre these invaluable monuments rather than stylısh bars whıch can be found everywhere around the World and ın Istanbul too ıf that ıs what desıred

Wishıng you the best in your personal endeavors.
Hannover, Germany
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We spend 3 nights in this high standard hotel. The staff members behaved in very kindful and friendly way. They organized very nice trips ( by boat to the black see ) for us and in the afternoon we got an individual dinner.
We have promised to come back :-) and we will.

11 Thank RaBe1988
Palos Verdes Estates, California
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have used Trip Advisor since 2006 and have stayed at 10s upon 10s of hotels and B & Bs based on TA reviews and rating. Generally they are, plus or minus a bit, in accord with my own impressions i.e. the TA reviews have great predictive value. Only once before have I encountered so complete a disconnect between the TA rating and the reality of a hotel property as I think there is with this property.

While there is much to recommend the Eternity (new, clean, great staff), the notion that it is excellent vs average + is, in this reporter's opinion, a complete fantasy. Much as it pains me to do so (because the folks that run the Eternity are such a great bunch), I will have to be the first one to write a mediocre review of this property.

Lets start with the good: the staff is wonderful. Helpful, genuinely friendly, knowledgeable, personable and engaging. Special kudos to Herman and Natalie. It appears to be a family run place and its a nice family. The hotel is new and it is spotless. The cleaning crew does a great job.

Now the bad (and the so-so). No elevator. If this is important to you (as it is to me) this is not the place for you unless you plan on staying on the ground level (which, for reasons listed below, is probably not a good idea). If you are older or have bad knees (as I do) or are overweight (as I am), this likely is not the place for you. That's the bad from my standpoint. Of course, if the lack of an elevator is not a big deal for you then shoot for the 3rd floor rooms - they have the best views..

The so-so is the location of the breakfast room below ground level. So many of the hotels in the Sultanahmet area have rooftop terraces with nice views that would make breakfast so much more pleasant and interesting While there is a street level patio / terrace it fronts on a very busy street (and is only a few feet from it). I would rate the buffet breakfast here pretty standard for this type of hotel in Istanbu. - good but nothing stands out except the friendly service.

And that brings us to:

The ugly.

Many of the reviews make much ado about the great location of the hotel. Well, it IS well located with respect to its juxtaposition to major attractions in Sultanahmet - right along with probably about 2-300 or more other hotels. Its a small area and there are many, many, many hotels that qualify as well located to the major attractions. But the actual location of this hotel is, in my opinion, horrible.

It is right at the end of a busy restaurant street which also just happens to be the main feed street to Topkapi Palace. It is a narrow street that is literally filled for most of the day with tour busses large and small. A street down to the Bosphorus T-intersects with it right in front of the hotel and one of the areas major cab stands lies just across the way. The combination makes for constant gridlock and given the Turks love of their car horns, constant noise from honking. Though the double pane windows help somewhat, we found this a constant annoyance when we were in the room.

I believe that most if not all of the rooms front on this street. That many of the reviews describe the location as quiet is a bit of a mystery to me. Many of the small boutique hotels in this area front on relatively quiet street. This one certainly does not (although it is not a busy main street, it is certainly not a quiet one..

As I said, Im sorry to write a somewhat negative review of a hotel owned and staffed by such lovely folks. If it had an elevator and was located a block or two away off the approach to the Palace and away from the cab-stand (hotels which can be had at a better price, i.e. I did not think the Eternity was great value for the money), I would stay again in a minute.

But, as it stands, I'll have to pass on the Eternity Boutique if I ever visit Istanbul again (which I just might do I thought it one of the worlds most interesting and engaging cities - and I've seen a whole lot of them.) Hope this was a helpful review that presents both sides of this property objectively and fairly.

6 Thank noclvrname
, Manager at Eternity Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Dear hotel guest
First of all we thank you for all the good words about our dear and devoted crew and about our hotel being new, clean and spotless which we are proud to say ıt is.
But please accept our objection about some of your comments of your valuable review
1- Your remark of no elevator is specified in every booking-company sites that we are proudly a member of,
and we are truly sorry that you had knee problems but in this case you could be welcomed in our
entrance floor if you would wish to do for your comfort.(Please be informed that 99 percent of the hotels in this area are renovated historical buildings and no elevators are permitted in the buildings because of their historical status)
2-If our buffet breakfast with 18 various cold breakfast dishes cheese, ham salami etc.,
coffee, fresh egg varieties, fresh and concentrated fruit juices,8 to 10 different type of cookies, homemade cakes ,fresh yogurt, yogurts with fruits ,croissants 5 different kind of daily fresh breads are just good and nothing stands out as you say , what can we say about this comment of yours ?? (sorry but it is not common to serve Beluga caviar in Turkey for breakfast) also if you had the wish to take your breakfast on our hotel terrace which we happened to have one on our third floor as you knew, our crew would be more than happy to serve your breakfast there as we do to many of our guests, all you had to do was ask for it.
3-As for the location: sorry but it happens to be the best location in the area with wide open front and the
quietest point (at the end and faraway) from the busy and loud street you are pointing
As for the cab stand across the street , in our opinion is one of the best thing for many hotel guests ,
ours and the other hotels nearby, who need a reliable taxi service ,to be able to find one the moment of their request
4-It was a very unfortunate coincidence that due a nearby road construction the traffic towards to the historical sites and to historical TOPKAPI PALACE and to AGIA SOPHIA MUSEUM
was driven from the hotel front street and the square for a short period of time and to coincide with the time of your stay, but the hotel should not be blamed or make it sound like responsible for this unfortunate and unavoidable event

5-The most inappropriate comment of your review ,in our humble opinion :The comment of yours about all the other guests ( whom we had the pleasure to welcome ) reviews and opinions as a (complete fantasy) was the saddest and improper comment we have read in you review and i think many of our guests will share the same feeling about that too !!

Wishing you the best in your business and personal endeavors.
Paris, France
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I am a frequent traveller and have stayed in many hotels. This is the first time I am posting a review in TripAdvisor so this shows that the hotel really deserves a high recommendation. I can safely say that this is the BEST hotel I've stayed in! Charming family-owned boutique hotel with 5-star service! Felt so at home and enjoyed the company of the owner, Herman, and the rest of his uber friendly staff (Natalie and the others ---sorry didn't catch their names) Surely one thing that made me really enjoy my visit to Istanbul!The hotel is, first of all, located in the heart of the Old Town Sultanahmet. All the major tourist attractions like the Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, and Blue Mosque, are literally stone's throw away! The hotel is relatively new, very modern, and most importantly very clean! The rooms are all unique and well designed. The breakfast buffet is delicious with many yummy homemade treats! The staff always greeted us with a genuine-friendly smile and was ready to move mountains just to satisfy us. Lastly, the owner, Herman, was just best. He treated us like his own personal guests and definitely made us feel at home! We were actually pretty sad to say goodbye to him at the end of our stay... we already miss our afternoon chats and coffee breaks with him!
Eternity Boutique Hotel is THE hotel to stay in when you visit Istanbul.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Rachel R
Brisbane
Reviewed June 19, 2012

The reviews for this hotel are consistently good for a reason ... it's the perfect place to stay in bustling Istanbul. Our room was small but modern, it was clean, had a fantastically comfy bed and a great shower. From our window we had views of a small mosque and the Bosphorous in the distance.
The breakfast spread was great and all of the staff were very helpful, especially Natalie.
It's the location that has to be emphasised. The hotel is 30 seconds walk from Aya Sophia, a couple of minutes from the Blue Mosque, right next to one of the exits from Topkapi Palace and on the same street as a bevy of restaurants, bars and shops.
In five minutes you can be on a tram heading over the Golden Horn to the Galata/Tophane area with its awesome (and less touristy) bars and restaurants.
You could spend a lifetime exploring remarkable Istanbul. But if you only have a few days, this is the area you want to stay in. We can highly recommend Eternity Boutique Hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the cheaper rooms that didn't have a balcony. It was perfect for a place lik...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Emma P
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I was a little skeptical of all the good reviews these little boutique hotels had on tripadvisor which had me a little hesitant to trust them but luckily I was already in Istanbul when I was checking these out. I was staying with a friend and wanted to branch out for a few days to do some sightseeing so I got to visit a few of the hotels before making a selection. I realized that the reason these little hotels are all in that area is because there is no room for a Hilton to move in or build anything larger, so either you have to stay farther away from the action and take a cab in or pick one of these smaller hotels and just walk to the sights, which was fine with me.

Eternity was my pick because it was literally a 2-5 minute walk to the mosques, underground cistern, and grand bazaar which were on my to-do list. The only thing closer was the Four Seasons and I wasn't going to dish out that kind of money to save 20 steps.

My room was pretty nice, everything looked new and clean, bed was comfy and the shower was a nice relief after using my friends tiny shower for the past few days. The breakfast downstairs was a nice touch and I ended up eating there both mornings of my stay. As I was walking around I did keep my eyes open to see if I could have stayed closer to some of the sights...that potential buyer's remorse I suppose. There were so many options I wasn't sure if i'd made the right choice but I was happy with my stay and I had a feeling some of the other hotels weren't so modern or renovated inside based on their exterior looks. Everyone was helpful when I asked about the attractions and how I should get there or places to eat, that's always a plus. The only catch 22 is that this place is next to two mosques, which is kind of where I wanted to be but at the same time didn't realize I'd be listening to prayer in the middle of the night....I suppose there is no escaping that unless I stayed farther out of the area. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay close to the sights and night time activity without having to cab it everywhere.

Room Tip: There were rooms on the top floor with balconies or like an outdoor patio, I didn't stay in one...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business