“See it from your cab”

Walls of Constantinople (Istanbul City Walls)
Book In Advance
Ranked #97 of 1,119 things to do in Istanbul
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: These stone walls were built by Constantine the Great to protect Constantinople, what is now known as Istanbul, from attack by land and sea. The walls largely remained intact until sections began to be dismantled in the 19th century, as the city outgrew its medieval boundaries. Many parts of the walls survived and are still standing today.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

There is nothing really to bring you here.
But it gives you the size of old cities that came to compose IST.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"parts"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I walked the wall from the Yenikule tower (south) right down to the Golden Horn. This was my most favourite excursion in Istanbul of many I did there. The walk took me around 3 hours, with frequent stops for sightseeing and photo opportunities. I used the "Rough Guide to Istanbul" as a guide and everything they have described there was accurate and valuable, since there were no signposts along the route. This was a great trip through history and I can recommend it to everyone who likes walking, hiking, history, anthropology and military history.

P.S. My favourite: climbing the wall just after the Edirne gate by using ladder-style steps. Although the clib itself might be scarry, the view from the top is rewarding and mesmerizing. Since this is the highest of all seven hills of Istanbul, one can see the whole city, the Sea of Marmara, the Bosphorus and the Golden Horn.

11  Thank SAvisitor2
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We went by tram to see the city walls. We had a very nice walk in many parts of the walls. I'm a big history fan, therefore I found the walls very interesting, especially if you analyzed them carefully. In many parts you can see many Greek inscriptions from the Byzantine empire and interesting decorations. But if you are not particularly into history, I would pass and see some other more entertaining sites.

2  Thank Traveltheclock
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Having planned one day to visit Istanbul, I tore out the article from The Telegraph Travel Supplement a couple of years ago describing the authors exploration and fascination of the Istanbul City Walls and the walk he did of the length of it.
He gave the impression that you could walk along the whole of it, and I assumed this was along its top which as had been detailed by other contributors, just doesnt exist!!

Maybe my imagination got carried away with his desription of its charm and dropping down along his route to visit little churches etc.

I did have a brillian day walking its length. Sadly I missed Chora Church and the bit there where you could get on top of the wall but instead I walked through a little square where I was "forced" to sit with the grocer and his mate and share their breakfast of taramasalata, hommous, fresh bread, olives, cheese, with the owner of the bar next door bringing us copious amounts of mint tea!! As a lone female Im always cautious but these people were lovely as was my breakfast!
I found some really old timber houses and was teased by the wall passing above and eventually found a way to get onto it about half a mile from its start next to another Mosque and The Golden Horn.
There are very few places along its length that you can climb onto it so I made do with walking alongside it, and found the lovely area where there are "alotments" at its base, full of various green crops and towards the end of this area were a couple of stalls where the holders were selling their beautifully fresh produce. Some of them dont like being photographed on their plot tho so best respect that.
The wall continues through Attaturk Park where there is a what I understand is a modern Camera Obscura, the building of which is very attractive, with fountains and cafe in the park.
It finally ends in an old area of town with a castle you can visit (entry payment) and then walk back towards the Bosphorous past some very romantic old town houses.

There are a couple of old signs on the wall to tell you something about it but these are difficult to read through age. There are bits of it where down and outs hangout so keep your wits about you and at a particularly attractive point just short of Attaturk Park there were a lot of Romanian looking gypsies hanging around and sitting with their children on the grass. Interesting though and you'll also be lucky to get photos of them, they also dont like their photos taken.

All in all a fascinating days walking but not "romantic" in the way that the Telegraph writer described it. I felt like a bit of an adventurer. Well worth doing.

5  Thank Gail T