“Fantastic location, walking distance to the attractions of Sultanahmet”

Sura Design Hotel & Suites
Ranked #110 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
Kuala Lumpur
“Fantastic location, walking distance to the attractions of Sultanahmet”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Took about 30 minutes from Ataturk Airport and cost about TL42. Make sure you have the address and phone number written down to assist the taxi driver to locate the Hotel. The Hotel is on a very small street and for my entire 4 day stay there I never figured out which direction traffic was supposed to travel on the street.

Check in was very fast and my room, located on the second floor, was quite nice. I think the floors are colour coded and I got the turqoise floor, a bit of an assault on the senses but grew on you. I had opted for a room facing the garden behind the Hotel which is slightly more expensive but came with a walk out balcony which was very nice during the sunny afternoons. The room had a bit too many mirrors for my liking but it was quite spacious. Seemed to have a problem with detecting the wifi on my iphone but after I detected it on the lobby floor, it seemed to then resolve the issue.

Breakfast is located in the basement and is quite adequate given that it was included in the room rate. Only complain here was that I couldn't figure out their opening times. On the first day I went down at 6.30am and was immediately shown to a table but the following day I was told that they only started serving from 7.30am.

Best thing about this Hotel is it's location, you are about 10 minutes walk from the Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and the Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Mosque) ...need I say more!!!

Room Tip: Get the garden view rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed November 9, 2013

My sister and I visited Turkey at the end of September 2013 and had a wonderful stay at the Sura Hotel.

Sura is ideally located next to Sultan Ahmet, the main high street in Istanbul, with local attractions, such as Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque and Hajjia Sophia within walking distance from the hotel.

The hotel was very clean, rooms were spacious and the staff extremely friendly and attentive and gave us genuine advice about the best way to get around the city. We met Oya, the guest relations manager of Sura, a lovely lady who really made sure we enjoyed our stay in Turkey to the fullest.

Breakfast is definitely something to look forward to, offering a range continental dishes, as well as a few local Turkish cuisines. The Turkish tea and fresh pomegranate juice is something not to miss out on. The Kebab House, the hotel’s restaurant also serves delicious Turkish dishes.

It was one of the best trips my sister and I ever had, a beautiful and unique place, rich in its history and culture that we sensed in every small shop we entered and through the people we met.

I highly recommend the Sura Hotel to everyone and I will be staying there again on my next trip to Turkey.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Samia E
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We are familiar with several highly popular hotels in the Sultanahmet section of Istanbul in the same price range of Sura. In general they are all fine, but we place Sura at the top of the list. What we liked best about the hotel is the spaciousness of our room - you do not feel cramped or confined. This is important to us when we stay in a hotel for 5 days or longer.
There are other useful and delightful features to Sura: great location, original modern design of rooms and public spaces, quietness ( especially in garden rooms ), friendly and professional staff and excellent food in the breakfast room and in the restaurant.
In the midst of the tumult, noise and excitement of Istanbul Sura Hotel perfectly stands as an oasis of tranquility.

Radstock, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

before i went, i must have looked at over 2 dozen hotels and didnt know how to choose. in the end i went for somewhere right in the old city, with at least 30sqm room size (double). and included breakfast. turned out to be a great choice. the decor is unusual, lots of marble and 'bling' and mirrors everywhere! but it was great. we had a room with a balcony overlooking the garden and you could see the top of the blue mosque too. it was a stones throw away, along with many other attractions and also a tram stop. the staff were fine, the food was fine, and we ate in their kebab and grill house one evening and the portions were huge. i would recommend this hotel. it was quiet, obviously apart from the calls to prayer, and had all the usual things like kettle and hairdryer. take your own coffee and coffee mate though, but there is a little market shop on the corner of the road that sells both, and also 3 in 1 sachets.

Room Tip: room over looking the garden was perfect. use the lifts, avoid the stairs, they dont do handrails i...
2 Thank zoradi t
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The hotel location is very good - but there are plenty of hotels in Sultanahmet that this could be said about. I know there are plenty of great reviews about Sura, but we did not find it that good really. First of all the decoration is tasteless, far too much mirror and gold that is looking outdated and in desperate need of renovation.The corridors were dark and airless and the doors to the rooms were ridiculously small! The room furnishes looked too worn and there were stains on the carpet, the couch and the bed cover. The pillows were lumpy and bed was too soft.
Service was not great either, the staff looked like they really could not be bothered especially the breakfast staff. During our whole 6 day stay, we never sat at a table that was cleaned - yes the plates were removed but the crumbs were left and things like serviettes, sugar etc. were not replaced. We would look for a clean table while the staff are having their chat and one of the girls was preoccupied with the split ends of her hair! At all the other hotels we have stayed at, the breakfast staff would refresh your tea/coffee etc, here you do not get that or any service at all. I never ask anything from the wait staff, but I do expect a decent table. On many occasions , they would run out of tea, coffee, hot water etc and the breakfast generally was boring. Did not look professional at all.
The customer relations lady sitting at her own desk there was useless - without getting into detail, we did ask one question to her to which she answered and when we did what she recommended we thought that what she said was ridiculous and that she had not applied any common sense.
If I ever go back to Sultanahmet, I would try another hotel for sure.

1 Thank TravelExp34
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel (for the third time) and found it delightful as always. I travel frequently to Istanbul and have a few places I stay regularly, but this has moved to the top of the list. It's located on a small street just off Divan Yolu ( the street with the main tram line) and just a 2 minute walk to Hagia Sophia, the Basilica Cistern and Blue Mosque. If you're looking for Old World charm with quaint bits of pottery displayed and the aroma of aged rugs lining the floors.......keep on moving because this hotel looks like Kelly Wearstler meets Istanbul meets Las Vegas. The entry gallery is lined with life size white plaster horse heads hanging on the wall separated by brass screens and the floor is a large scale diagonal marble design that will have you thinking that you're going to meet Donatella Versace at the check-in desk. That wowie-zowie moment aside, you will be pleasantly surprised by the very friendly and professional staff once you've made it to reception.
Each floor has a different color theme and the rooms are nearly as dramatic as the lobby. I have my favorite, but check out the website and find the one that does it for you. The rooms are good sized (for Istanbul) and equipped with a Nespresso machine, hot water kettle, thick terry robes and a shower that really shows off the beauty that only big expanses of marble can deliver. The sinks are stone vessels with a gold lining and the lighting makes me think that 40-something isn't that bad after all. Some of the rooms have balconies overlooking an equally high-style garden with the higher floor rooms allowing a partial view of Hagia Sophia. The staff was attentive when I requested a few things be sent up to the room and they were extremely pleasant throughout my stay(s). There is a new general manager who has been overseeing things with a keen eye and the very minor glitches I had initially (prior visit) are not an issue anymore. Try the restaurant downstairs...the food is delicious and the staff doesn't try to drag you in from the street like many of the local restaurants do. Very civilized and very much appreciated.
Overall, it's a very cool hotel in the perfect location.....you will enjoy the coming back to a bit of glam after schlepping around among thousands of tourists in this ancient and ever-surprising city.

Room Tip: The "01" rooms have a free standing tub and a huge bathroom but the 05, 06 and 07 rooms ha...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple