“Excellent location, helpful staff, good value”

Sura Design Hotel & Suites
Ranked #142 of 1,171 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I was a bit wary after reading some of the reviews, but this was misfounded. Great location for sightseeing - very close to a tram stop but could not be closer to the Blue Mosque and Agia Sophia or the Yerevan Cisterns. Our room faced the garden and was comfortable and quiet. Fantastic shower. the bathroom light broke one day and was fixed before we had finished breakfast. Breakfast was excellent. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are quiet - I do not know about the others!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank AnneOng

Reviewed June 13, 2012

I think this is the perfect hotel for a first trip to Istanbul; just the right mix of boutique, exotic, modern, clean and comfortable. After checking in, we were really hungry so we had a nice lunch at their outdoor cafe, which was surprisingly good. We wound up eating there more than once as we started to crave their pida pizzas and lovely Turkish coffees.

The rooms at the Sura are very glamorous and exotic; our room was on the Lapis floor. The bellman was a very striking fellow who went on to show us everything, and I mean EVERYTHING about our room, right down to the brochures on desk. It was charming, bordering on surreal. Being on the Lapis floor meant our room was done up in shades of sleek blue satin, and the flatscreen tv was hidden behind a wall-sized, dark mirror. While we definitely had one of their smaller corner rooms, although the triangular shape never proved too challenging.

Our travel companions had a bigger room on the Amber floor, with a Donatella Versace feel in the beige and gold rooms with giant, round, lit up emblems on the wall and ceiling. I was kind of jealous until I read in the brochure that Lapis has a healing quality, perfect for vacationers.

If you do stay at the Sura, do have the partake in insane, giant breakfast buffet. Our package didn't include breakfast, but when we settled up at the end, it was definitely reasonably priced and well worth the expense.

Located in Sulthan Ahmet, it's perfectly situated by all of the big attractions; Ayasofya, the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, the Grand Bazaar, and our favorite, the Cisterns.

Room Tip: I noticed there was a deluxe room with a lovely tub right in the bedroom. I would definitely request...
2  Thank therealmissrita
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The Sura Hotel is located very centrally in Sultan Ahmet and is about a 5-10 minute walk away from the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Top Kapi Palace. The Hotel is new and is decorated tatefully, we had a good room. However, the service was bad. We were told there'd be a turn down service every evening and only 2 out of the 6 days we were at the Hotel did our beds get turned down. Used cups and sauceers weren't changed on a daily basis, the bed linen wasn't changed regularly, we had to call Housekeeping half a dozen times before our complimentary water bottles were left in our room. I think the main problem is that the Staff either do not speak English or speak very little English and that needs to be rectified. On a more positive note the Breakfast buffet was really good with a wide range to choose from!

Room Tip: The Garden View rooms on the 3rd Floor
2  Thank Amitresh
Reviewed June 7, 2012

if their is such a thing as ultra art deco palace,this hotel would fall into that,,unbeleivably cool place to kick back after a long day of sight seeing..Breakfast was included with our stay and the buffet lacked no lustre...from the rack of fresh bee honeycomb dripping with flavours of wildflowers and citrus,unreal...fresh figs,dates,sun dried apricots,local cheeses at least 6 different breads and pastries,a real Turkish expertence!..we dont eat eggs much, so no comment on them ,typical scrambled and omlette station,juices all 4 kinds were exceptionally delicious..We went to Istanbul to experiece the culture and the cultnary diversity,and we found tons of it!

Room Tip: A room with a garden view balcony is bliss especially during call to prayer!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Johncook59
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Just spent 4 night at Sura hotel with my husband and 5 year old daughter. It's situated very close ( walking distance) to all the attractions in the old city. Surrounded by some good restaurants. When I booked the room requested for a king size bed but was provided a twin room with a baby cot but it was sorted with in few minutes and they provided an extra bed for our daughter. When ordered room service sometimes it took a bit longer than expected but overall the service was good and the staff were friendly. The breakfast at the hotel was good. The room decors were great the only issue i had with the room was there's no wardrobe. I would recommend Sura hotel it's in a great location and staff are very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank NGUN
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Hotel location is great, hotel design is cool, rooms are fine too. Staff is friendly. Only breakfast was not the best, or I guess I expected a lot from otherwise great hotel.

3  Thank S J
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I stayed at the Sura hotel from May 27th till june 2nd , 2012 .Let me first give u a summary of the property ,
1. Location wise personally I think u will not find a better place , right in the middle Old City within walking distance of all the attractions . Located in a calm alley ensures u a good sleep.
2. The room was small and not impressive but the decoration was modern with a touch of the east (Stayed on 4th floor , silver floor ) , good amenities and toiletries .
3. House keeping a bit lousy , took them 2 days to get the room fully equipped and when we first checked in the minibar was not full , some items even used .At check-out the receptionist asked for 30 TL for mini bar , but when I explained that I didn't use any item he respected my honesty and didn't charge a dime !
4. They gave us an early check-in which was very nice and we didn't quite expect it .
5. The breakfast was exceptional , compared to other hotels in Istanbul , and everything was of superb quality .
Overall I certainly will go back to the Sura hotel , It wasn't 100 % but satisfying and maybe if they concentrate more on house keeping and public relations it could be your Ideal heaven in Istanbul.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple