“Cool place”

Sura Design Hotel & Suites
Ranked #129 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Hotel location is great, hotel design is cool, rooms are fine too. Staff is friendly. Only breakfast was not the best, or I guess I expected a lot from otherwise great hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank S J

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I stayed at the Sura hotel from May 27th till june 2nd , 2012 .Let me first give u a summary of the property ,
1. Location wise personally I think u will not find a better place , right in the middle Old City within walking distance of all the attractions . Located in a calm alley ensures u a good sleep.
2. The room was small and not impressive but the decoration was modern with a touch of the east (Stayed on 4th floor , silver floor ) , good amenities and toiletries .
3. House keeping a bit lousy , took them 2 days to get the room fully equipped and when we first checked in the minibar was not full , some items even used .At check-out the receptionist asked for 30 TL for mini bar , but when I explained that I didn't use any item he respected my honesty and didn't charge a dime !
4. They gave us an early check-in which was very nice and we didn't quite expect it .
5. The breakfast was exceptional , compared to other hotels in Istanbul , and everything was of superb quality .
Overall I certainly will go back to the Sura hotel , It wasn't 100 % but satisfying and maybe if they concentrate more on house keeping and public relations it could be your Ideal heaven in Istanbul.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mamzool
Reviewed May 27, 2012

My experience at this hotel was very disappointing. The first night at the hotel they had plumbing problems, all water was not working in the bathrooms and they did not have enough room keys to provide to my group upon checking into the hotel. The breakfast buffet was okay. Also, when we requested to have our sheets changed, it looked like they just remade the bed. The next day after a long day of sightseeing we came back to the room to find the window open and our clothing being used to prop open the window, ridiculous. When we tried to complain about the service, there is definitely a language barrier. The staff is not friendly and do not speak much English. There are other great hotels options to choose in the area and I for sure will not be back to this establishment.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank SFLadies
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Just spent three night long weekend in Istanbul at the Sura. Hotel is brilliantly well located for all major monuments in the old City of Sultanhamet within a short walk and tram transport into Beyoglu. The hotel is also in a nice quality side street off the main square with some lovely alternative eating options.
Decor of hotel is excellent and very design conscious which differentiates itself from the big chains. We booked a suite room, which was very attractive and delivered the level of luxury we desired. First impressions were somewhat marred by chaos over private transfer from airport which left us waiting on the airport pavement for an hour. Hotel staff were unclear on whether the car had been ordered and to which airport and seemed to crumble under pressure.
Service levles and staff friendliness was an issue. Lots of front desk staff but no clear purpose or role. Only one check in desk can lead to frustrations when checking in/out at same time as big groups. Balcony and balcony furniture werent clean on arrival (pigeons a big problem around the mosques) so had to request cleaning before we could walk on terrace. Requests to restock room with towels, coffee, toilettries were rather hit and miss which was disappointing for the best room in the house. Housekeeping also start early - being roused at 8.30am on a sunday morning wasnt ideal, particularly as we indicated we didnt want to be disturbed.
If the hotel can pick up its staff and customer service levels to the same standards as its decor, this hotel would be an absolute gem and I would not hesitate to return or recommend it to others. We still enjoyed our stay and rate the hotel high.

Room Tip: Rooms on either side of hotel will still be quiet, but rooms over the garden provided light and an a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We booked three rooms for our family - two of them inter-connecting. The rooms were beautifully decorated, spacious and clean. The large bed was very comfortable. The hotel is wonderfully situated within walking distance to the Blue Mosque, the Grand Bazaar, and other historical sites with a tram spot very close by for getting further afield. Wonderful choice of restaurants all close by. Breakfast in the hotel was superb and the two nights we dined there were wonderful.
The staff were very helpful and attentive and went out of their way to assist with our various requests. There was a language barrier (as to be expected from an Aussie) but nothing seem to daunt the staff (except don't try ordering a marguerita from the bar ~ you could get anything!). I thoroughly recommend this hotel to couples and/or families for their stay in this wonderful part of Istanbul.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank iceblueu
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I loved everything! The location just in the middle of everything , the spatious rooms, the decoration (though the curtains kept going down), the service. And the price too. I would recommend it without hesitating!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I booked Sura Hotel by Booking.com. After that I had to change my reservation and the problem started. I knew my reservation didn't accept changes, but we and Booking. com tried many times called the hotel and they didn't give us any kind of feedback. I have sent something around 5 mails, 3 calls and nobody answered. It's a disrespect.
So I decided go anyway. I came there around 11 PM and my daughter bed wasn't at the room.
So, I asked the reception and they try for one hour find a solution for the problem. In the end, after many mistakes and 3 broken cribs, my daughter slept in a mattress without blanket and sheet.
The hotel has good rooms and good location. But the service is poor. Is not a hotel prepared for families.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family