“Excellent with a fatal flaw”

Le Meridien Istanbul Etiler
Ranked #125 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
Minsk, Belarus
“Excellent with a fatal flaw”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three days, in the junior suite. We had a very bad experience which i will detail later, but I will write a full review objectively to highlight both the good and the bad...

The good:
1- Very clean, modern furniture and decor, and overall appears to be relatively new.
2- Staff are very friendly and helpful.
3- Breakfast buffet has great selection, and all fresh. We went down for breakfast at various times, some early some late, and the food was always fresh and plates full. Only thing that it can get a little crowded at the buffet as it is small, but the seating area is quite large, no big problem.
4- In room dining is decent as well, quick service.
5- Prices are on the high side, but not so bad compared to similar establishments in istanbul.
6- Noise isolation is good in room, so that is a plus compared to many istanbul hotels where noisy streets or even next room noise can be heard.

The bad:
1-The airport pick up is the most expensive I have ever seen, 110 euros!!! while taxis outside the hotel would not charge more than 75 TL (~32 euros).
2- House keeping department need major quality control and monitoring. so many mistakes. When we arrived, although the room is booked for two guests, we only found it set up for one when it comes to toiletries, towels, and bathrobe. Second day, they cleaned the room, and forgot to put back the coffee mugs, spoons, etc.
3- The fatal flaw: I had just bought my gf a perfume set, and as we left the room to get lunch while house keeping clean it, we came back and it was gone!, thankfully our valuables were locked in the safe, but that was shocking. We called the reception to report the problem, they sounded like they took it seriously as they assured us they will alert the manager and call us right back...no body called after that...and as we checked out the next day...I mentioned it again and the person at the reception said with careless tone we are sorry about that sir, no further action or offer to compensate us. Now i know it is just a perfume set, but my gf really was disappointed as she liked the gift and felt something precious was taken away from her, and to see the hotel do absolutely nothing was a fatal flaw which made me decide to never stay there again.
5- location is not that impressive as there is nothing interesting within walking distance, you could walk 20-30 minutes to the nearest mall which also has a nearby street full of cafes but that's about it. However, for us we knew that before hand but it was a romantic getaway so we just wanted a nice room with nice service and quality time together so we didn't care. Yet that incident was a black spot on a reasonably good experience.

Overall, to stay objective, great hotel, excellent facilities, prices are good for a hotel of that class. Just don't leave any valuables in the room, and don't use their airport pick up, and don't expect good housekeeping service. By the way house keeping don't speak english, at least not the ones who came to our room and we had to use sign language.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LM-Istanbul-Etiler, General Manager at Le Meridien Istanbul Etiler, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Coldplay99988,

First of all thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

It is good to hear your positive comments about our rooms, staff, and dining facilities. We really appreciate that.

Regarding to your language comments, its our main focus to implement language training all the time for our associates. Looking to your comments about transportation we recommend taxi as an alternative for arriving the hotel, that can cost you less while limousine service is available upon request.

We very much regret the loss of your perfume and our lack of professional and efficient communication in the aftermath. We have already taken your incident for re-training as it clearly highlights inconsistency in service but certainly no devious intention. As we sincerely would like to rectify your recent impression, you can always kindly contact me personally at the hotel or by calling my office number at +90 212 384 02 00.

Hopefully we will see you back soon in Istanbul at Le Meridien Istanbul Etiler.

Kind Regards,

Sabine Dorn Aglagul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed at the Meridien Etelier, Istanbul for a week in March 2013. The hotel is brand new (1 year old), extremely modern, and the staff and service are really friendly and very helpful. The food was also quite good, especially the lunch buffet. They give you a pass for a free daily expreso in the lobby bar, which is a nice touch. The rooms are lovely, although getting the temperature just right was tricky, and the closet space for clothes was a bit small. The gym and swimming pools are great (I just used the indoor one because it was still cold outside). The decor is a bit too modern for my taste, but still is very nice. The location - on the top of a hill in a residential neighborhood - is a negative; one must take a take to the metro or to one's destination. However, it is not insurmountable and I understand that a metro stop within walking distance will be built within the next year or so. Overall, a comfortable place to stay.

1 Thank Robin G
LM-Istanbul-Etiler, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Istanbul Etiler, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

Warmest greetings from Le Méridien Istanbul Etiler!
We are very happy to read that you had a memorable week with us. We very much appreciate your elaborate feedback and were delighted to read that you enjoyed the services at Latitude Bar and La Torre Restaurant, Explore Spa, pool, gym and rooms.
We would like to kindly mention that there are larger closet sizes for different room types available at our property including walk-in closets for suites. In this light, we will make sure these options are clearly presented for your future visits.
Thank you very much again for your lovely review.
Kindest regards,

Elif Aydınlıgil
Guest Relations Manager
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The property is modern with great amenities. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, the first night's accommodation was a king room, the second a suite located on 26th floor with a great balcony view. The staff are extremely helpful and happy to oblige. A great pool and gym with TechnoGym equipment. I would recommend this property if you need to stay in the Etiler area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
LM-Istanbul-Etiler, General Manager at Le Meridien Istanbul Etiler, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for your pleasant comments regarding our rooms, staff and SPA services.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Best Regards,

india
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights and was very impressed by the property.
Checkin was prompt and good spg recognition. The hotel manager came up to welcome me, which I think was a nice gesture. This is a brand new property with a modern contemporary architectural design.
I was upgraded to a one bedroom residence on the 27th floor complete with a sitting room and a small kitchenette including a espresso machine, microwave, dishwasher, minibar.
The view was outstanding from the terrace of the room overlooking the bridge and Bosphorus .
The toilet was a five fixture toilet with a bathtub and a shower cubicle. Nice toiletries.
The manager sent me a bottle of red wine with some Turkish delights. Again a nice gesture.
Being a platinum member, club lounge on the 14th floor was accessible where all day beverages were served including the continental breakfast and the evening drinks.
There is a bar lounge with a wonderful view on the roof level and a restaurant serving morning buffet breakfast as well as lunch and dinner on the 4th floor.
Hotel staff is very helpful. The location is half hour from Taksim but near to good eating places like babek. Shopping malls are about 10 mins by taxi.
The Spa is not to be missed.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
LM-Istanbul-Etiler, Executive Assistant Manager at Le Meridien Istanbul Etiler, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are more than happy to read your comments about our property and see that you enjoy your stay with us.
The description of the property and services being recognize leverage the team spirit and will help us to keep our focus on improving our services to further develop our guest’s satisfaction.

On behalf of the Le Meridien Istanbul Etiler team thank you for your observations.

Kind Regards,

Fernando Calvo
Executive Assistant Manager
London
Reviewed March 20, 2013

General points first. The rooms are excellent, spacious and well laid out. Nice bathroom too. The pool and spa are excellent; the pool is fairly large and very pleasant, as too is the sauna and steam room. The spa treatments are good, I had a very thorough and relaxing massage in a nice environment. Good gym. The whole leisure area is up-market, pleasant and well put together.

The top floor bar is great - interesting layout and lighting, a balcony for when the weather is nice and interesting food. The food is only small dishes. I had a modern version of mezze which was seven small portions, all delicious. Can't comment on the restaurant as I did not eat there but it looked fine. I did not feel the menu was particularly Turkish/Mediterranean even though that is the claimed style.

The building is rather brutal architecturally, in a style reminisent of new brutalism prevailant in the late 1960s. The furniture and style in the lobby and adjoining areas did not fit together; can't quite put my finger on it but seemed to be a variety of things thrown together rather than a coherent approach.

It is an excellent hotel for someone travelling on business assuming the locations suits where you will be visiting. However, for the tourist, particularly for the first few times in Istambul when you are still soaking up the historic centre, it is poorly located. You could walk to the metro station but it is along uninteresting streets and up and down hills. By metro I would have to allow about an hour to the centre and probably the same by taxi.

One evening I asked where I could find some bars and restaurants and was directed to an area where I was told there would be lots. It was a selection of grim cafes and tacky looking restaurants and not where I, or most people staying at such a hotel, would willingly choose to eat dinner. Maybe I missed the good places but I had walked for over 20 minutes and there were no sign of any. Contrast this to a city centre hotel where there would be many interesting places to select from.

So, for business in the surrounding area a excellent choice but for holiday tourism avoid even if like me you got a very cheap promotional rate - the location is isolated and poor for the tourist.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
LM-Istanbul-Etiler, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Istanbul Etiler, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Greenpan,

We were delighted to read your positive comments on our rooms, our roof top bar BOAZ, the treatments you received at Explore SPA and gym. It is a pleasure to read that you have been pampered with the many different services we offer to our guests.

Your reference to the architectural characteristics of our property is perceieved as another compliment by us. Le Méridien Istanbul Etiler is set to become a landmark property as an iconic building bringing the comtemporary together with its surroundings.

As you have kindly mentioned, our hotel is ideally located nearby the business hub of Istanbul and the lovely bosphorus districts where our visitors have an opportunity to also explore more of the sophisticated and hidden treasures of our city. We were saddened to realize, however, that we have failed to provide you with a better understanding of our surrounding areas.

In this light, we very much look forward to your next visit and for the opportunity to provide you with an inspring experience.

With warmest regards,

Elif Aydinligil
Guest Relations Manager
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Modern design, comfortable rooms and upper class breakfast buffet is making difference. Last time i stayed in a room with balcony, which has a wonderful view. Bedding standarts are suits to my preferences.

• Stayed February 2013
LM-Istanbul-Etiler, General Manager at Le Meridien Istanbul Etiler, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for choosing Le Meridien Istanbul Etiler and sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and comfort of our rooms and F&B services were up to expectations.

We are looking forward to welcoming you at your favourite place in Istanbul soon,

Warm Regards,

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Check in was fast and efficient, and the overall look of the hotel was very impressive (although you have to go through a scanner when you enter!). The location of the hotel is out of the way and not somewhere a tourist should consider as, taking into account the massive traffic congestion that you would expose yourself too you would be at the whim of the traffic to get around to see the sites. The room was impressive (one on the executive floor) which at first glance had all the nice things that you would expect. Accept for slippers ! now I just thought this was a oversight by the cleaning crew but even when I mentioned this to the staff at reception none appeared in the room. As I have said he room was very attractive and the shower (good shower pressure) and the toilet facility's separate to the main bathroom which was a nice touch. One annoying point and that is the basin in relation to the mirror is at odds so when you are caving a shave you cannot look directly into the mirror. Now there is a small shaving mirror that has a back light but for me that was more of a gimmick rather than one that I would use. Turn down service was poor with not enough care taken, curtains left askew etc. Couple of nice touches, free complimentary water in the room and you could turn off all the lights using a single switch by the bedside. The gym area seemed fully stocked with workout machines and my college said that the spa was one of the best she experienced. The swimming pool area was nice and well heated and there was a jacuzzi next to the main pool which was nice a big. There is a executive lounge area which was quite good but very small, there was seating upstairs and food downstairs. Not worth the extra €30 per night in my opinion but each to their own. There is bit of a trendy bar on the top floor offering ''bar'' snacks which again in my opinion was not worth the money that said it is worth taking a trip up to visit it. Constant theme within the hotel and that it had low mood lighting throughout. Overall a good acceptable stay.

1 Thank onetrubrit
LM-Istanbul-Etiler, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Istanbul Etiler, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback you have provided regarding your stay. We very much appreciate your positive comments on our rooms, hotel, Explore SPA and gym facilities.

As the Le Méridien Istanbul Etiler team we strive to deliver an excellent experience for our guests and in this light were saddened to realize that, overall, we were not able to provide you with an exceptional impression. Since we offer two pairs of slippers in each guest room, we were especially alarmed to read that this had been an issue during your stay and would like to sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

We perceive your valuable feedback as a further opportunity to reassess our services and would like to express our gratıtude for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Warm greetings from your Le Méridien Istanbul Etiler family,