“Wonderful journey”

Ranked #211 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Los Angeles, California
“Wonderful journey”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed at the Minel Hotel for 10 days and I have got to say it was really home away from home. The rooms are small (very clean) but when you are on holiday the last thing you do is stay in your room. The buffet breakfast was amazing and I never got hungry until dinner time (and I eat a lot). The location is perfect to all the landmarks (Topkapi, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia) as it is a 5 minute walk. The tram is accessible to get around Istanbul. The staff was great and I always felt comfortable.The price you just can't beat it. Istanbul is an amazing city that will leave a lasting impression in my mind.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jflo73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We liked everything in this hotel! It's located in the historical centre, but inside of the houses and not near the tramway. The room service was every day. The room was comfortable and clean. The personal was very friendly and always ready for help. And the special point is its breakfast! There isn't the breakfast like this in the typical European hotels. The cook is Georgian woman and so no words need!) I hadn't eaten so much for a breakfast before) Come and try it yourself!

Room Tip: The hotel hasn't elevator, therefore if this point is problem for you the better way is to ask a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

I have visited Istanbul a couple of times now I stayed at the Minel Hotel. And I must say that this hotel is the best hotel that I have stayed at! From the minute I walked in, I was greeted with a welcoming smile from the staff and this excellent hospitality continued for the rest of my stay at the hotel. Also the price is very reasonable .The rooms were beautiful and well taken care of, breakfast was always great. The best part of the hotel is the extremely friendly and helpful staff who were always willing to tell me about great restaurants, bars and shopping spots that I should go and explore. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a true Istanbul experience!

• Stayed November 2013
London
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We arrived in Istanbul in the early hours of the morning, but had to wait for over an hour at Ataturk Airport for the transfer service which was provided and arranged by the Minel Hotel. At 30 Euros for a one-way transfer, we thought this was expensive considering we shared a minibus with three other tourists on their way to a different hotel (we later found a number of travel agencies arranging shared shuttle services at 5 Euros per person).

Upon our approach to the hotel, we noticed that the area outside of the hotel was untidy with a number of old mattresses stacked up opposite the front door entrance. Once we entered the hotel, we immediately noted the lack of a real reception area and any form of comfortable seating area. However, the staff kindly offered us breakfast whilst we waited to check in.

Whilst being escorted to our room upon check-in at 2pm, we found that there was no lift, despite the building consisting of 6 floors. Although this was expected from our study of the website and previous reviews, we had not expected the dangerous, narrow, curved marble stairs. The stairwell had a number of timed lights on the walls, however these automatically switched off after a few seconds, plunging us into darkness half way up or down.

The rooms were clean and tidy, but very small with little space to manoeuvre. The broken toilet seat was reported shortly after our check-in, but still hadn't been fixed upon our departure from the hotel.

On a positive note, the staff were friendly, and the breakfast was decent. However, there are nicer hotels in the area which are better value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank C M
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This is a lovely great small hotel,hurt of the old town(Sultanahmet).You do not need to have a taxi,bus and train..Just walking distance from hotel to Blue Mosque in a 5 minutes or to Hogia Sophia same distance and Topkapi Palace is just 3 minutes fare way..They have a great breakfast and always smiling face ,you feel like at home.. Also for location super because it is so quite and not noisy . Free wifi is always great like me traveler because i take a lot of photos to send my company and friends..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Istanbul was our favorite city on our recent holiday, and the Minel Hotel was a great choice for our stay. The location can't be beaten, with all the old city attractions literally 5-10 minutes walk away. The tram is also just down the end of the alley, so it's very easy to move around the city. The staff were always available and very friendly, especially Irfan, who was always happy to give advice about getting around Istanbul or to sit, have a cup of tea and a conversation.

The rooms are bright & tidy but small, so my partner & I booked a 2-bed room which gave us a the extra space to lay out suitcases etc. A little noise is the only other 'problem', but it's not a big deal.

If you want to stay in Istanbul, do yourself a favour & stay at the Minel !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank RedClubman15
London
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights on our travels. This was slightly more expensive than some of the other 'traveler hotels' in Istanbul but it is fantastic value for money. The location is brilliant as it is minutes away from the Blue Mosque etc and there is also a tram stop within a few minutes walk. The room itself was a tad small but very well done so you had all you needed and it was all decorated to a good standard. The thing that really sets this place apart is the absolutely lovely staff and the amazing breakfasts. The food available at breakfast is a cut above the rest and all home made! The staff there were also so helpful answering all our questions and making our stay generally as fab as possible. I would have no hesitation in recommending a stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple