“Two of our best meals in Istanbul”
Review of Privato Cafe

Privato Cafe
Ranked #113 of 14,394 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beyoglu
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We read the reviews here and thought that perhaps some gaming of TripAdvisor was going on--surely a small cafe on a side street couldn't be the top-rated restaurant in Istanbul?

But we've now gone twice--once for lunch, and just this morning for breakfast (we made a special trip on our last day to go for breakfast here). The food stands out for its freshness, flavor, and difference--the meals we had were among the top three we had in Istanbul. The food is simple and flavorful, with lots of herbs and unusual flavors. I had the feeling we were eating food that would be considered more traditionally Turkish, and it was all light and delicious, unlike most of the oily, heavy food you get at other places. It's also just right in terms of portion size--no mammoth portions, just human-sized, and carefully prepared. The staff are lovely too.

A real find. If we came back this might be the first place I stopped.

2  Thank M A

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Just perfect detail for an autstanding breakfast... It is a must to visit when in Istanbul. Jams made to perfection, typicity with a twist.

2  Thank Mark B
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We have only been in Istanbul for five days but have been back to the lovely cosy atmosphere of Caffe Privato three times: twice for the delicious farmhouse Turkish breakfast (homemade FRESH jams with fresh bread, local cheeses, eggs, cheese and dill pastries, and grilled halo I. Oh and the most divine little pancakes I've ever had), and once for dinner (equally yum). The warm vibe makes you feel you could hang out there all day, reading a book or a paper. Listening to their wonderful eclectic mix of music that always seems to hit the right note. They were really accommodating with our requests and I only wish there was a cafe like this where I lived - it would be my local daily sanctuary from the city. Thank you for your wonderful hospitality.

2  Thank Rose M
Reviewed September 7, 2012

If you stay around Galata Tower start your day with Caffe Privado's outstanding breakfast. If you find yourself strolling around the area in the evening pop-in for a drink and their meze plater. Any time during the day try their home-made lemonade. It is the BEST in Istanbul. .

2  Thank MinikaW
Reviewed September 4, 2012

...but definitely worth looking for! From Galata tower, walk up the 'music shop' street towards Istiklal, then just take the first small alley to the left. I went there on a Sunday to try out their breakfast, which was a real feast. Everything homemade and very tasty. The owners are laid-back and very friendly, one after the other stopping by your table to chat for a little while. Being on my own, it made me feel really welcome.

1  Thank Britta J