“Central location, friendly staff”
Review of Hotel Momento

Hotel Momento
Ranked #350 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Central location, friendly staff”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed at this hotel as part of a tour for a number of nights. First of all, the location is very good. It's very close to the tram line and the Grand Bazaar. It is also within walking distances to the Blue Mosque, Hagis Sophia, and Topkapi Palace.

First impression of this hotel wasn't the best as the traffic backed up the street and it was very noisy. However, once we were in our room with window closed, little noise came through and we managed to have a very good night sleep.

The rooms were clean and tidy, and provided all the essentials even including toothbrush/paste. Our shower leaked a little, but it wasn't too much of a hassle. I found the staff very friendly, they were willing to help. The food at the restaurant wasn't that great, but we didn't get to try all their food so it might not be the same for other dishes.

Overall, pleasant stay, would recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alice W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our recent trip to Istanbul for a week was quite successful as we stayed in a hotel which was closer to all the interesting places. Hotel Momento is located in a very convenient area with lots of shops all along the roads. The great Grand Bazar, Sultanahmet (Blue Mosque), Haggia Sofia, Topkapi Palace, Cistern- all were very closely located. We walked for 3/4 minutes to the main road to take the tram and after two stations, we found all these historical sites. One could easily walk to these places. The roads are safe and not crowded. It is lots of up and down hills and a pair of good walking shoe is what is needed.
The hotel is not very big, rooms are small but cozy, neat and clean. Though next to the road, no sound came through. The small toilet was also very neat and tidy with very clean towels. I loved the breakfast which had varieties of options.
The hotel did not keep any welcome drink or did not leave any complimentary water in the room. Tiny bottles of water was charged 2 Turkish Lira whereas big bottles of water outside the hotel was less than a Lira. A board next to the lift read 'no food and drink from outside is allowed. Of course, we needed water and we bought it from outside.
The sea was also close to the hotel. It was a pleasant walk on the hilly road to the sea where plenty of restaurants were all along the sea.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kaniz K
Kyneton, Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our three night stay in September, 2011 for although the room we were in on the first floor was quite small the friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff compensated for this. The Momento is close to major tourist attractions like the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar and Saint Sophia the best of all. It is quiet and the breakfast was very good

Room Tip: I understand the rooms at the front of the hotel are the best and the top floor has good views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank John W
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed here for four nights and had two different rooms. Rooms were not overly big but very adequate and very clean with comfortable bed. Close to main tourist attractions. Great breakfast with lots of choices and very clean. Staff was very nice. Would definitely return and recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank anna1636
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 10, 2012

It was ok, worth going, however not definite must. We had weird room view (we lived at the first floor) but otherwise it was ok. Location is good (given the price), rooms are clean and nice, stuff is friendly and helpful, breakfast is quiet descent but eatable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lr2kate
Istanbul
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I am currently staying at the Hotel Momento in Istanbul. Let me first start with the positive. The hotel is a very nice boutique hotel in the center of the tourist area. You can walk to all of the Old Town attractions, Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, etc. That is where the nice comments end.

First, the hotel highly recommended a tour company for a Spice Bazaar/ Bospherous River cruise which, I thought would be nice. Well, it was great until I was left at the Spice Bazaar by the tour company, and had to find my own way to the river boat (5 other tourist were left in the middle of the Spice Bazaar as well). Once we met up with my tour company, there was no apology issued (I let it go at the time because the cruise itself was lovely); however, after the cruise I literally, was dropped off in the middle of the street at least 10 miles from my hotel after the tour was over and told to walk to the end of the street where my hotel was suppose to be and wasn't. When I called the hotel to find out why I wasn't dropped off at the hotel like I paid for, I was. When I got to the hotel, the front desk reception called the tour company after much prodding from me. I was outraged that he wasn't outraged that a "professional tour company would just drop one of its guest off miles away in the middle of a street.

Secondly, I came back to the hotel with a guest to have a drink in my room that I paid for; however, I was told that my guest could not accompany me upstairs. I told them that my guest was not staying the evening and they should even get a photocopy of his passport, but I was told he was absolutely not allowed upstairs. Now, I paid the two person rate when I made the room booking; however, I was the only person staying in the room, so if I wanted another person to come to my room, it should not have been a problem. I understand that this is an Islamic state; however, trust me when I say, there are plenty of non-married couples shacking up together in rooms...all I wanted to do was go change my wet shoes and have a drink!

Thirdly, I have found some of the male staff member to be very rude and condescending towards me. I don't know if it's because I am a single woman traveling alone or if I am of a minority race, but I find it very distasteful. In particular, comments have been made about me in Turkish while blatantly looking at me and I have heard things being said under the breath. The particular staff members names I could get were Furkan and Abdullah.

I reported these incidents to the GM, Arzu, and she was nice enough to listen and offer me the number of the booking company to see if I could get a refund for paying for two people instead of one...I couldn't.

I don't want to end this on a sour note because there have been a few staff members who have been extremely nice, like the bell men and restaurant staff. I really like the hotel, but for overall service, I would pick somewhere that you and your guest would be welcomed and appreciated!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank S M
Melbourne
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I was in Istanbul, Turkey for two nights recently and wanted to stay centrally.
At £45/night for a single, this was a steal.
It was 4 star luxury, very modern decor and in a great location - just a short walk to the main strip where you will find the Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque and Topkayi Sarayi.
Beds were comfortable and all amenities were clean. Staff were polite and breakfast was average - not the best but satisfactory.

Room Tip: If you are in a single, any room ending with 9 is recommended.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo