“Fantastic”

Ranked #119 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel in May 2012 but I have only signed up to Tripadviser now and thought I should review this hotel.

Firstly i should start with the staff who were excellent and very friendly. On arriving we were given an upgrade and the only shame was that the Ortakoy Mosque was covered in scaffolding.

The food was delicious, the room fantastic and service impeccable.

There could be problems getting to and from the tourist locations because of Istanbul's "big traffic problem" but this is a small price to pay.

If you are a light sleeper you might have problems with the noise but i cannot imagine anywhere being particularly quiet in this wonderful city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wilyotter
Bahar K, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear wilyotter,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience about The House Hotel Bosphorus. I appreciate you taking the time to do this even though you stayed with us a while ago.

My team and I are very happy you and your girlfriend had a great stay and enjoyed our hotel.

Unfortunately the Ortakoy Mosque is still covered in scaffolding but we hope the renovation of this important landmark will come to an end by the end of this year.

Many thanks for your candid feedback about traffic and noise. To beat traffic, we recommend using private and public boats to our guests as we are located right on the water. As for noise, as you said, staying in our neighborhood of Ortakoy might not be ideal for our guests who are light sleepers. But at the same time, the vibe and energy of Ortakoy also add to its allure as one of the most popular areas in Istanbul.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit.

Kind regards to London,

bahar.karaca@thehousehotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

The House Hotel is well located and the view is simply amazing, but what makes it unique is the wonderful staff that goes out of their way to make everything work for you. The breakfast lounge is a great place to start the day with an excellent choice of options all devoured while overlooking the Bosphorus. Right outside the door are numerous options for dining in the neighborhood. A few words of caution, the noise level late at night is significant. Some nights are better than others. Our first night, Sunday was crazy loud, it calmed down after that, a combination of slower nights and our ear plugs. Still this is not something to be taken lightly, we found the trade off to be fine , but for light sleepers or the noise sensitive, be forewarned.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bahar K, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear JO1203129,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at The House Hotel Bosphorus.

My team and I are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and recognized our uniqueness. On a particular note, I appreciate your candid feedback about the noise level surrounding our property and your fair warning.

Our neighborhood, which is called Ortakoy, is intrinsically lively and busy. This is why there is always action and noise around, this is the reality of our immediate vicinity.

If your travels bring you back to Istanbul, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Bosphorus.

All the best to LA,

The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

It has to be said: a wonderful location and a stunning building/setting. Service is friendly, rooms are classic style and facilities are ok (restaurant, lounge, bar, fitness).
The noise in the evenings is substantial, but if you join the outgoing people, that should not be a problem. The morning prayers are more serious: it's like the speakers are in your room. Anyway, after this early wake up call, just turn around and snooze for a while in the fantastic bed.
All in all: worthwhile for a few days.

Room Tip: High up for an even better view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bahar K, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear MRE007,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience at The House Hotel Bosphorus.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us despite the noise. It goes without saying that our neighborhood Ortakoy is immensely popular and offers a vibrant entertainment/nightlife. As for the prayers, our hotel is just a stone's throw away from the infamous Ortakoy Mosque, a landmark of Istanbul’s Bosphorus Strait for more than a century. As noise is such a subjective matter, these prayers are heard by some guests while they go unnoticed by others.

I appreciate your feedback as a well-traveled guest and hope to welcome you again to our hotel.

Warm regards to Dubai,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Firstly there is a lot written about how noisey the hotel is but for me it was no different to staying in any vibrant capital city such as London or Paris. Myself and wife stayed over a weekend to celebrate my wifes 40th birthday and did not have any trouble sleeping although alcohol may have played some part in having a good nights sleep.

I am fortunate to travel all over the world with my work and stay in some of what some consider the finest hotels: Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, earlier this year a suite at the Kempinski Istanbul just around the corner form the House Hotel. The difficulty I find with many of these hotels is that the service is often so over the top it becomes intrusive or the hotels are in characterless buildings which follow the chains particular style or the food tries to cater for so many nationalities that the menu becomes diluted and mediocre.

I have strived over the years to seek out the perfect hotel for leisure that is genuinely welcoming yet not intrusive, where the level of service and friendliness surprises me, which is situated in an interesting place with excellent food which is not internationalised and in a building with particular local architectural merit and character.

This has taken me to some unusual places and I had lost hope in finding such a Hotel, however I have to say I may well have found such a place in The House Hotel Bosporus….!

2 Thank max l
Bahar K, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Max l,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at The House Hotel Bosphorus.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a great trip celebrating your wife’s birthday.

My entire team and I greatly appreciate your amazing feedback. We are committed to making a difference here at our small property and we strive to create unique memories for our guests. Thank you indeed for recognizing this.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Istanbul.

Warm regards to London,

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel me and my husband on a wensday night the hotel is great the cleanliness and the service were up to standard but I wouldn't go back because of the noise we had a suite over looking The Bosphorus regardless the noise didn't stop before 3 a.m so if ur not planning to stay up late I wouldn't recommend .

1 Thank Marzi2013
Bahar K, General Manager at The House Hotel Bosphorus, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Marzi2013,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about The House Hotel Bosphorus.

Thank you for your recognition as well as your honest feedback. Our neighborhood Ortakoy, which is extremely popular among locals and visitors alike, is a vibrant area that cannot be considered quit. I would like to take this opportunity to recommend our sister property The House Hotel Nisantasi to our potential guests who are sensitive to noise since Nisantasi district is not only charming but also quiet and tranquil.

Warm regards to Cairo,

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while in Istanbul. The location is perfect. It is right on the Bosphorus which during the summer is a great place to be. There are many restaurants nearby as well as bars and night clubs should you desire.

The hotel is small with a European feel to it. The room we stayed in was very good. It was a little bit on the small side and not decorated quite up to 5 star standards. That being said the sevice was very good. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and welcoming. The morning breakfast was delicious with a great selection as well. There is a small fitness room with just enough equipment to work up a good sweat if you like.

There are lots of reviews on here complaining of noise. Admittedly there is a club next door. And by next door, I mean the buildings are attached. There are also many restaurants right below in front of the hotel. However, I consider myself a noise sensitive person and expected to find this troubling. I did not. You could certainly hear the beat of the music until after 1am on most nights BUT it's nothing that a few glasses of wine and complimentary ear plugs couldnt fix. I would not let this be a barrier to staying here unless you plan to go to sleep very early and need absolute silence. Of note we were not here over the weekend so I cant comment on what it's like on a friday or saturday night.

Overall, It is a great hotel made infinitely better by it's location and overall atomosphere.

Room Tip: If noise is an issue for you, consider mentioning that at check in
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BVD1977,

I am very happy that you had a great stay at our hotel and enjoyed our neighborhood and surroundings.

Your note is one of the best, most fair reviews ever written about us. Many thanks for your straightforward feedback and recognition, most appreciated by all of us here at the hotel.

My intention is to be very clear about the noise issue here on this platform hoping our prospective guests get an idea about our area.

Ortakoy, which is where we are located, is a lively spot right on the Bosphorus. There are many restaurants/bars/clubs all clustered in this tiny neighborhood which is always busy and definitely not quiet (as you also point out, we are happy to provide complimentary earplugs to our guests).

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel should you make another trip out here.

Warm regards,

Bahrain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We loved every moment of our stay at The house hotel Bosphorus. The experience was 5 star from the moment we stepped in to the hotel.

While waiting to be checked in we were offered complimentary breakfast in the hotels Lounge, when we got bored of the Lounge we moved to the House Cafe, where my husband ordered a tea, when we asked for the bill the hotel had already taken care of it! Thereafter we taken straight to our little charming room.

The room is beautiful, but really really small. I didn't like the fact that there wasn't much space to hang or fold our clothes, so we had to live out of our suitcase for 5 days which made the room even smaller. The bathroom was also small but quiet efficient for its size. I think our room was the smallest in the hotel; when booking ask for something roomier.

Ortakoy is a lively hip area, so the noise can be loud at night, but the hotel does what it can to mitigate this problem. The hotel staff are so wonderful and helpful.

Though the room was small the services were not. We were replenished with 3 bottles of mineral water daily and delicious breakfast was also complimentary daily. It was by no means a standard breakfast, fresh fruits, cheeses, fresh bread, and eggs any style were offered.

Going out was never a problem, hotel staff would accompany us to restaurants where we'd eat to make sure we were treated very well. They even took us to the club next door to get us in.

House Hotel staff would run out to the streets to find us a taxi, one of them even took us across the street to make sure we bought the proper Turkish Delight, the shop owners gave us a discount too.

A big plus is the fact that House Cafe is attached to the hotel, it was a perfect place to have a meal and relax on the water front.

The House Hotel staff were well informed on everything Istanbul they gave us great recommendations and always made good suggestions about what to do in the touristy sense.

It was so easy to fall in love with Istanbul when you're staying at the House Hotel because you're really taken care of! Thank you so much House Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask to be on the 4th or 5th floor, and something a little larger than the beautiful 403!
Dear Dana8114,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your feedback about The House Hotel Bosphorus.

It was a pleasure meeting you and having you with us on this trip. We are very happy you had a terrific experience at our hotel and enjoyed your stay. My team and I appreciate your input and the level of detail you provide in your review. Many thanks for recognizing the essence of our service philosophy.

We hope to see you again at Bosphorus when your travels bring you back to Istanbul.

Warm regards to Bahrain,