“Great people, great location!”

Portus House Istanbul
Ranked #15 of 1,240 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were a group of five who stayed here from 27th Dec to 1st Jan. We have only positive things to say about Portus House! The location is great, about 3 min walk from the Galata Bridge and a metro stop, close to the Taksim area and the main pedestrian shopping area. If you want, you could walk across the bridge to the old town and the main attractions like the hagia sophia and the topkapi palace in about half an hour, or an easy 4 stops on the tram.

The host, Cigdem, and all the other staff were friendly and helpful, offering suggestions about the best and easiest way to get around and see the sights. They were also more than happy to help us make reservations and enquiries. We were there for New Year's Eve and they helped us find somewhere to go for dinner. There is also a fantastic hammam (traditional Turkish baths) down the street which we highly recommend - the staff at the desk called and made a reservation for us.

There were some vegetarians and vegans in our group and they went out of their way to get different food for their breakfasts (breakfast was great, by the way) and did everything they could to make our stay a pleasant one.

We would come back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This place has an insane amount of good reviews. I am kind of confused by that.

The place IS clean and the rooms are fine. The price is relatively reasonable, however I hotwired a nicer hotel nearby for cheaper. The place is very plain, stuff from Ikea. That's not a put down, it just looks more "modern" and stylized on the website than it actually is.

The location is cool. Right by the galata bridge, not in the tourist packed area. At the time I stayed they did not offer airport transport but it wasn't difficult to get to the nearby stop on the train. However, finding the actual hotel was pretty difficult. There's not a ton of signage in front of the hotel and there were no lights and everything on the street had metal gates down. If you're coming in late at night it's a little difficult to find!

I booked online and they ran kind of a weird deal with me which I would have interpreted as a scam. Essentially, though I was quoted in US dollars on the website, they required I pay in Euro in person. Obviously I had no Euro, so I could pay what they felt was the equivalent in Turkish money. That exchange rate was off from what every other exchange organization on Earth said it was.....in their favor.

I found the front desk and breakfast people kind of brusque and unchatty. The one time I did talk to the front desk guy for any length of time, he was horrified by the idea that I was taking a bus at the bus station and insisted he make a reservation for me instead which again was kind of weird since Turkish bus travel is really safe and popular.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jennybento
PortusIstanbul, Manager at Portus House Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear jennybento,

Thank you for being our guest and thank you for taking the time to share your opinion.
Unfortunately, I am rather perplexed about some of your comments, for this reason I would like to rectify the following points:
Front Desk
In hindsight, I am not able to comprehend exactly why you would perceive our team as unfriendly, though my suspsicion and hope is that there must have been a misunderstanding. Reading your comments it seems presumable that a well meant offer to make a bus reservation for you may have been misinterpreted and hence the team may have taken a step back to grant you with more privacy. I am glad though that you perceive travelling in Turkey to be safe, as we absolutely share your opinion here.

Exchange rates
To set the record straight: Our official hotel currency is set in Euros, as is in most venues in Turkey. Nonetheless, for our guest’s convenience we accept Euros, US Dollars and Turkish Lira at the current exchange rate. Referring to any official source for exchange rates will be enough to verify the conversion, though we do not accept rates that are published on any regular site. Again, what happened?

Transfer
We do offer airport transfers as stated on our website and in the confirmation emails we send after each booking. In addition, following the advice of former guests, we have added a while ago detailed walking directions and maps on our website, which anyone can follow from the tram stations to Portus House. I regret, that on January 2012 when you actually stayed with us, this information was not on the website yet.

Looking backi I wish I had met you in person as the game changers mentioned here seem all service related. What a pitty.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

In addition to the safe, great location and confortable rooms, we have to highlight that the staff were so thoughtful than ever we have had in any hotel. Thanks a lot for the delicious breakfasts, my children are still talking about them.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor looks better if do not like the stairs.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Portus House Istanbul is a little gem, and was a home-away-from-home for my husband and I during our eight-day stay in Istanbul. Cigdem and her staff are delightful to deal with - ever helpful, always on hand, and full of great advice and information about their beautiful city. We took advantage of the free transport offered by Portus House from the airport, with the driver explaining info about the city as we drove to the hotel. Our room was comfortable, clean, and quiet, and even though it did not have an ensuite, the shared bathroom (spotlessly clean!) was literally two steps down the hall, and we had it to ourselves for our entire stay. Breakfast was lovely - fresh bread every day, jam and cream cheese, a small salad, chocolate spread, and all the tea, coffee and apple tea we could drink. Best of all was the location - Portus House is smack-bang in the centre of everything. A ten minute walk across Galata Bridge to Istanbul's iconic sites in Sultanahmet, a fifteen minute walk to the restaurants and nightlife of Istiklaal Street, moments away from fish restaurants, ferries, the tram stop. Next time we're in Istanbul, we'll definitely go back to stay with Cigdem and co. at Portus House Istanbul. Highly, highly recommended. Thank you for a lovely stay!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This place was one of my highlights in all of Turkey. Amazing Value, well located - close to the shopping districts, but as well to public transport. Rooms are beautiful, and I even got upgraded to one which was a bit larger, beautifully decorated in blues, whites, and modern minimalist art. It felt like my "home away from home" and it was a nice departure from the overtly grandiose hotels, or the dingy-looking hotels I had stayed in prior while visiting Istanbul. They also had the fastest internet connection I found during my entire 2+ week stay in Turkey. I've recommended this place to all my friends. In a few words: Stunningly Modern-Chic designed rooms; Clean, Great Location in the heart of Modern Istanbul; Friendly Staff, Great Breakfast, Freedom of living in your own apartment.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank GirlAddicted2Travel
Reviewed November 11, 2012

It's a cozy hotel, central, clean and comfortable. Period. The service though is top notch! All staff members were very friendly and helpful from the the first moment we received the confirmation email of our booking until our departure. Since the city is vast with dozens of To-Do options, the genuine guidance of Portus staff was invaluable helping us to make the most out of our visit. We enjoyed the option of having free apple tea and coffee in the lounge during the day where we also had a chance to meet fellow travellers. Our double room with ensuite bathroom was comfortable & tastefully designed with a terriffic air condition, heating unit, TV with loads of international channels, bed side lamps, safe, hair dryer, lovely shampoo,lotion, shower etc. set (lavender!), some Turkish Delights to greet us... If you are looking for a decent place with professional people in a central & trendy location a stone's throw from the wonderful Bosphorus, stay here. We highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Visitor849
Reviewed November 5, 2012

On our first trip to Istanbul we stayed at Portus and were really pleasantly surprised by the place. Approaching the location at night was a bit difficult as it's tucked away on a side-street in a non-touristy area, but like other great little finds I've experienced, the interior was in great contrast to the exterior. Once we climbed the steep stairs to the lobby we were surprised at how orderly, clean and nicely decorated the place was. The rooms are really comfortable and well taken care of and the breakfast was served in a spotless kitchen with free wireless and all the mod cons. We especially enjoyed the location as it's just a short walk to the ferries, seafood eateries and Gallata bridge and the trams. The price is right too! Nice little find!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends