“NO SHOW!!!”
Review of The Other Tour

The Other Tour
Ranked #49 of 431 Tours in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: The Other Tour offers unique one day cultural experiences in Istanbul. Our mission is to provide curious, open minded travelers with the opportunity to discover how Turkish people live and thrive in Istanbul. Away from typical tourist attractions, we dive deep into Istanbul (a city of over 16 million people) to immerse ourselves in the lives of local residents. During this guided adventure our Turkish neighbors open their hearts and homes to us, sharing with us their customs and traditions.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 25, 2013

If booking, please consider ANOTHER TOUR - not this one!! After booking approximately one year in advance and emailing at our arrival in Istanbul, we were left waiting at the pre-arranged meeting site. Ruined one of the few days we had in Istanbul. We lost the cost of the taxi fare to and from the meeting site plus we had to way to easily schedule any other activity on that day. When we contacted them they stated they didn’t know they had anyone booked for that day and offered to do the tour the next day. This was of no help to us because all our days had been planned in advance. TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT and a zero rating. Beware!!!

8  Thank Richard B

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was easily the best tour I have ever been on. It is actually a bit of a misnomer to call this a tour as that term has a host of connotations that just don’t apply here. This was actually more like having a friend of a friend to show you around their home town – not the touristy spots, but the parts that the locals love. In fact, the only place we visited on the tourist trail was the Spice Bazaar and, to be honest, I found this to be the least enjoyable part of the day. Our guide, Murat, was excellent. Our group was quite small – myself and another couple. The couple said they were not interested in going to a Turkish bath (part of the usual itinerary) so Murat skipped this but then offered to take me separately the next day (at no extra cost). I took in the more well-known sights of Istanbul by myself on another day (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Grand Bazzar, etc). While these should not be missed, I would have come away with a completely different perspective of the city (and a much less memorable one) if I had not taken this tour. I could not recommend this tour more highly.

6  Thank Scotty C
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had an awesome time traveling around Istanbul with the Karatas brothers! They definitely showed us another side of the city that you you won't see on any other tour. We traveled to tiny little cafes and learned how to prepare traditional Turkish coffee from the proprietors, and we sailed up the Bos on a private boat with champagne and beers. Murat, Bulent and Fethi showed us around the wealthy areas of town and the squatters tenements. We toured the historical Greek and Jewish quarters and played traditional Turkish board games at the back of a bar with the locals. We toured local high schools and ate at some amazing local restaurants. Did I mention that we even spent time at a Hamam? Awesome trip and I can't speak highly enough at how generous and thoughtful our hosts were. They made sure we had a great time (and even a home-cooked meal at their mom's house)! Definitely check it out on your next trip.

6  Thank krisparks
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Fethi was a fantastic, hospitable tour guide. He showed up sides of the city we never would have seen without him and was friendly, personable, and impressively knowledgeable about the city and its history. I would recommend this tour to anyone interested in learning about the city than beyond what a guidebook will tell you. I would do it again.

5  Thank Jason D
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Me and my mom joined this wonderful experience this week and we both absolutely loved it. The stories and the scene was quite delightful. We would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to experience Istanbul in a very honest and interesting way.

6  Thank Daphneaist