“An exceptional experience”
Review of The Other Tour

The Other Tour
Ranked #46 of 442 Tours in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: The Other Tour offers unique one day cultural experiences in Istanbul. Our mission is to provide curious, open minded travelers with the opportunity to discover how Turkish people live and thrive in Istanbul. Away from typical tourist attractions, we dive deep into Istanbul (a city of over 16 million people) to immerse ourselves in the lives of local residents. During this guided adventure our Turkish neighbors open their hearts and homes to us, sharing with us their customs and traditions.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was easily the best tour I have ever been on. It is actually a bit of a misnomer to call this a tour as that term has a host of connotations that just don’t apply here. This was actually more like having a friend of a friend to show you around their home town – not the touristy spots, but the parts that the locals love. In fact, the only place we visited on the tourist trail was the Spice Bazaar and, to be honest, I found this to be the least enjoyable part of the day. Our guide, Murat, was excellent. Our group was quite small – myself and another couple. The couple said they were not interested in going to a Turkish bath (part of the usual itinerary) so Murat skipped this but then offered to take me separately the next day (at no extra cost). I took in the more well-known sights of Istanbul by myself on another day (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Grand Bazzar, etc). While these should not be missed, I would have come away with a completely different perspective of the city (and a much less memorable one) if I had not taken this tour. I could not recommend this tour more highly.

6  Thank Scotty C
in 33 reviews
"highlights"
in 30 reviews

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had an awesome time traveling around Istanbul with the Karatas brothers! They definitely showed us another side of the city that you you won't see on any other tour. We traveled to tiny little cafes and learned how to prepare traditional Turkish coffee from the proprietors, and we sailed up the Bos on a private boat with champagne and beers. Murat, Bulent and Fethi showed us around the wealthy areas of town and the squatters tenements. We toured the historical Greek and Jewish quarters and played traditional Turkish board games at the back of a bar with the locals. We toured local high schools and ate at some amazing local restaurants. Did I mention that we even spent time at a Hamam? Awesome trip and I can't speak highly enough at how generous and thoughtful our hosts were. They made sure we had a great time (and even a home-cooked meal at their mom's house)! Definitely check it out on your next trip.

6  Thank krisparks
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Fethi was a fantastic, hospitable tour guide. He showed up sides of the city we never would have seen without him and was friendly, personable, and impressively knowledgeable about the city and its history. I would recommend this tour to anyone interested in learning about the city than beyond what a guidebook will tell you. I would do it again.

5  Thank Jason D
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Me and my mom joined this wonderful experience this week and we both absolutely loved it. The stories and the scene was quite delightful. We would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to experience Istanbul in a very honest and interesting way.

6  Thank Daphneaist
See more reviews
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Istanbul is a huge, overwhelming city. However, in the capable, knowledgeable and concerned hands of our guides: Murat and Bulent it became an enchanting adventure. They worked diligently to see we not only enjoyed ourselves, but got a true sense of their city. We saw so much more than the standard sights of the old city. Exploring different neighborhoods: on foot, by car and by yacht they created one of the best experiences of my trip. The gracious warmth of their mother at the homemade luncheon in their home was amazing. The meals during the tour introduced me to Turkish cuisine in a special way. It is rare not to come away with some regrets or feeling that something had been missed on a tour. The special care that these insightful, funny and delightful brothers bring to your experience left me with none of that. I am not one to gush and use so many superlatives in a review, yet this is one time when it was so easy to do. I cannot recommend this adventure more highly. Just do it.

6  Thank george s