“An amazing Adventure!”
Review of The Other Tour

The Other Tour
Ranked #46 of 415 Tours in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: The Other Tour offers unique one day cultural experiences in Istanbul. Our mission is to provide curious, open minded travelers with the opportunity to discover how Turkish people live and thrive in Istanbul. Away from typical tourist attractions, we dive deep into Istanbul (a city of over 16 million people) to immerse ourselves in the lives of local residents. During this guided adventure our Turkish neighbors open their hearts and homes to us, sharing with us their customs and traditions.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 11, 2012

First I want to say that I have done my fair share of travel, and I am typically a conservative thinker in regard to openly expressing my views such as this. So, since I am writing this review, it means something.

It would be nice for me to simply write about my day, but I believe that would take away any mystery or suspense you could have before your adventure. "The Other Tour" is really an adventure and not a typical tour as you may have read from other posts. In reality, it is too difficult to explain the experience, other than the result will likely leave you with a feeling of completeness or satisfaction like I had. You will see things typically not seen by outsiders, indulge in cultural delights like no other, and just have fun. All accompanied by the tours hospitable and energetic hosts that will mold your experience with knowledge of the city while also challenging you intellectually.

I had an amazing time on "The Other Tour" and hope that anyone else visiting Istanbul can experience the city like I had.

15  Thank Staford83
There are newer reviews for The Other Tour

Reviewed December 11, 2012

So we took the Other tour and had a blast over the 14 hours of deep immersion in 'Bul life and history. Worth every Lira baby. We never went near the usual tourist traps (Blue Mosque, Cistern, Carpet stores of Sultanhamet..) BUT if you have a curious mind and really want to undertstand what makes Turkey work (or not work..) from people who live in this vibrant city of 20m souls then dig deep and do this tour..
If you want a couple of hours or safe ..over to our left we have and over to our right we have ... then this is NOT for you.
It was exhausting mentally and physically but the next day I felt so much better informed and saw life in this unique city from a fresh perspective.

11  Thank Chris P
Reviewed December 10, 2012

So, okay, I was waiting at Dolmabahce Palace at 9:00 am and there was no one else there! Traffic was bad so I waited a little longer and only the tour people, Trevor and Bulent (spelling?) showed up. It turned out they had last minute cancellations and I was the only one on the tour!! What a gift. Not only was the tour over the top, but Trevor and Bulent and all who helped make it such a wonderful experience were terrific. I learned so much and only wish my brain could remember all of it, but Trevor did email me all the places we visited so that I have a reference. It is about people, history, social interaction, customs and beauty! Anyone can go to a country and see the sights, but to go and really see and meet and converse with the people is fabulous. What more can I say, I will have wonderful memories for life of the experiences and areas and people I encountered. We even got to meet two authors! I loved Istanbul, and to see and learn so much more with Trevor and Bulent was truly a gift! Thank you! PS And mom's cooking was delicious! Wish we had markets like Esenler here! LOVE< LOVE< LOVED IT!!!

14  Thank Pamela K
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I took advantage of the cheap airfare from the states and went to Istanbul for the weekend. The main focus was "The Other Tour". While it is a tour if not in the traditional sense, it is more of an experience and an emersion in the peoples, cultures and foods of Istanbul. It is amazing the things you see and do and the people you meet along the way. Credit for this tour goes to many. Fehti for creating it although we only saw him for a minute. Beleet, his brother for sharing his passion and his love for all and his desire to share these experiences. Beleet and Fehti's mother who is both a saint and an angel. To taste her cooking and to eat in their home was the best. Trevor who has come over from the states and has embraced the concept and the culture. An excellent guide in his own right, he takes this experience to an all new level. And finally those who joined us on our journey. We were a diverse group from many countries and cultures all though we were only 8 people we were from 3 different continents. The things we had in common were our open minds and a sense of adventure. Trevor and Beleet more than satisfied us. I didn't want tell you the specifics of our experience because if you choose to experience this tour it will be different because it is all about chemistry but I can guarantee you will not regret it. While you can read many glowing reviews of "The Other Tour" know that it is not like any other tour. It is not only the best in Istanbul but could be the best in the world. We can only hope that the concept can be carried to other places.

10  Thank AugustW
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We spent a four-day weekend in Istanbul, and found The Other Tour by Googling for unusual experiences in Istanbul, and The Other Tour definitely fulfilled its promises. Without giving away too much, we were immersed in the local culture, and got to see parts of Istanbul that tourists rarely see, both rich and poor. Trevor was our guide, providing a wealth of knowledge as well as being a fountain of energy :) It is an experience for the curious traveller, who is looking to see beyond the regular attractions, and not just another sightseeing trip. Do read their websites, and judge for yourself if this is for you.

All in all, I highly recommend The Other Tour if you're openminded, looking for something unusual, and prepared for anything!

12  Thank Terje K