“not just a tour, think of it as an essential experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Other Tour

The Other Tour
Ranked #39 of 407 Tours in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: The Other Tour offers unique one day cultural experiences in Istanbul. Our mission is to provide curious, open minded travelers with the opportunity to discover how Turkish people live and thrive in Istanbul. Away from typical tourist attractions, we dive deep into Istanbul (a city of over 16 million people) to immerse ourselves in the lives of local residents. During this guided adventure our Turkish neighbors open their hearts and homes to us, sharing with us their customs and traditions.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
London, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“not just a tour, think of it as an essential experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I'm really not a 'tour' person. Typically, tours remind me of a guide with a flag & monologue akin to having pages from a travel book read out to me in the slowest, most boring way possible. Totally uncool! But hey, little did I know a friend of mine booked us on this tour in Istanbul, and am I so glad he did!
The day with Fethi and crew was such a unique and beautiful experience. Set up to show one Istanbul from a Turk's point of view. It was worth the money paid. Fethi is knowledgable and passionate about Istanbul and presents her with wonderful humor, perspective and wit. His crew are kind and easygoing and Fethi's style encourages connection and interaction between your tour-mates, by the evening you feel like you're hanging out with new friends in an awesome city, not on 'some tour'. Lunch at Fethi's mum was a humbling and beautiful experience. Best food we had in Istanbul- it was so personal and so wonderful. She is AMAZING!
I thank Fethi & crew for sharing Istanbul with us and for opening their hearts and home to us!

Visited August 2012
17 Thank Peggy L

Copenhagen, Denmark
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“an amazing day visiting the other Istanbul”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

The other tour is an excellent way to get introduced to the real Istanbul and the everyday life of the people living there. I had visited Istanbul twice before and had more than enough of the usual tourist sights. The other tour was a great way to see authentic neighbourhoods that I wouldn't have visited otherwise. Compliments to Fethi's and Söner's mums - two lovely ladies - who had prepared an absolute treat for us. I'm still dreaming of the red lentil soup and the garlic youghurt with the grilled redpeppers. And of course compliments to our guides Trevor, Fetih, Bülent and Söner who all had a part in making the other tour an amazing experience.

18 Thank malenelbc
lake district
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Soo worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Pack your sense of humour with a great dose of curiosity and enjoy the Istanbul you wouldn't normaly see. I shall not repeat what everybody else says in the reviews, it's true. His mum deserves a very warm mention (she speaks german as well!) and the night out in the restaurant was pretty special. Let your hair down and you will love it.

Visited September 2012
16 Thank keswickian
Melbourne, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“How Fethi ?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Fethi Karatis will show you the real Istanbul, a multicultural secular society with a dominant religion, a city of stark contrasts and deep history.Far from the usual monuments of the past you will gain insights into the workings of this fascinating city, but most of all you will learn more, and have more fun in one day than you could possibly imagine. (the organization is super slick, not a minute is wasted)
Thanks Fethi and team (and mum for a great lunch).
Don't be put off by the price tag, it is worth every cent !

16 Thank WJM74
ontario canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The 125th Other Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

On Oct.3rd. , my husband and I took part in the Other Tour. All previous reviewers have given a perfect description of this tour, although each person will experience this tour differently.
Fethi's passion for all things Turkey, shines through,as does his dry humour with just an edge of sarcasm. He enjoys keeping his guests on their toes and often quizzes you on information he may have previously given earlier in the tour. Please pay attention! Stay involved, participate, the 14hrs. will fly by,leaving you wanting more. I definitly did !

16 Thank maddc0pr