“So much more than a tour”
Review of The Other Tour

The Other Tour
Ranked #46 of 415 Tours in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: The Other Tour offers unique one day cultural experiences in Istanbul. Our mission is to provide curious, open minded travelers with the opportunity to discover how Turkish people live and thrive in Istanbul. Away from typical tourist attractions, we dive deep into Istanbul (a city of over 16 million people) to immerse ourselves in the lives of local residents. During this guided adventure our Turkish neighbors open their hearts and homes to us, sharing with us their customs and traditions.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We agree with every positive comment made about this tour, but instead of repeating everything that was said about the great food, great company and great experience we would rather give you 3 additional reasons to go:

1) There is no doubt that the day will enrich your life

2) Fathi and his team share their success with the local community - some of the proceeds of our tour day for instance contributed to a fund to buy projectors for a local school

3) Fathi is an idealistic, optimistic character who has big dreams and ideas to make this world a better place for everyone to live in. We believe that every person who takes this tour becomes part of an internationally family of travellers who not only keep these dreams alive, but may also play a small part in actually fulfilling it.

Just do it!

Corne & Yolanda (South Africa)

13  Thank YolandaPretoria
There are newer reviews for The Other Tour

Reviewed September 30, 2012

This tour is none like any other!.. an absolute must!... It is like one of your long lost friends is brinigng you to his country and showing you around!... Amazing.. we learnt so much from Fethi about Istanbul and Turkey in general, no questions were unanswered. To visit local neighbourhoods and see the real Istanbul is fantastic. His mother's lunch was to die for.. and the hospitality exceptional. You do however need to be open minded. Read what you do and make your own mind up.. but do it!...

12  Thank resortgoer
Reviewed September 28, 2012

There were 11 visitors on this very recent episode of the "Life and Times of Fethi in Istanbul." It was an absolutely extraordinary 14+ hours worth every dollar/euro/lira of the hefty price tag. This "nontour" is precisely what Fethi promises and the reviews faithfully describe. No one signing up for this adventure should be surprised by the experience or the price. There is little that goes on that we would have been offered by a traditional tour, including the walks through ethnically varied neighborhoods that transcended income levels, the plainly amazing lunch prepared by Fethi's mother, the visit to an elementary school and the festive dinner that served as the closing event. Even the more common Turkish Bath, boat ride on the Bosphorus and yogurt tasting had a special air about them. Fethi was a master of ceremonies and worked hard to create and maintain a sense of friendship and cohesiveness to a group of mostly strangers. He was successful with our group. The free flowing and spontaneous discussions on culture, religion and politics, not to mention the humorous pokes directed at all of us, made the time we spent with Fethi particularly welcome. And, while Fethi's lack of humility is now legendary, it is cast in such humor and good intent that it is a strong positive. The closeness of Fethi's family is palpable and leaves a bunch of tourists like us with a great sense of Turkish family life. One word about Fethi's older brother who accompanied us on the "nontour." Plain and simple, a nicer person you will not meet. All in all, this is a wonderfully raw, well organized and greatly educational adventure which gave us a look inside the veritable Turkish "kimono" and comes highly recommended by this family of travelers.

15  Thank Plegoste
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was not really a tour, but was quite an experience -- not only was I shown many parts of Istanbul that I never would have seen, but I was personally challenged to participate in a way very different from my usual passive observation on other tours. At first I was not sure how I would react but now, the next day, I am still thinking constantly about all that we did and appreciating the efforts and emotional investment of the organizers and the transformative experience that we had. Please go, you will be so glad you did!

15  Thank sftrav
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We took the tour last sunday and had high expectations after reading all the reviews. I have to say that our expectations were not only met but surpassed. It was an incredible day "hors des sentiers battus" I think in english it translates as off the beaten paths. Keep an open mind because Fethi is outspoken but also very knowledgeable, interesting and funny. The neighberhood walk was my favorite because you get a real feel for Istanbul and it's people and it's not something we think of doing by ourselves. The food that Fathi's mom prepared is the best meal I've had in Turkey (I'd like the recipies please!!!). With all that is included on the tour: lunch,supper, boat ride on the Bosphorus, hammam... we really get our money's worth. Since it was sunday some of the usual spots were closed but no problem Fethi just finds something else to do in no time. Fethi and Trevor make a great team and I have to say that you were right Fethi your brother is one handsome dude. I highly recommend spending the day with Fethi and his team because it isn't only a tour it really is the Istanbul experience.
Merci Fethi et Trevor pour l'aventure.
Gabriela