“Seemed authentic”

Brussels, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Seemed authentic”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We looked for a hammam which would provide a "local experience" and would not feel like an "assembly line" - we finally settled on this one. It is a no thrills place, but the hamam itself was of marble and the room was domed, hence quite nice. I must also say that as far as I could tell, it looked clean and saw no sign of mold or mildew.
This was my first true hammam experience hence it was exciting for me, but I understand that if one does this all the time, then this establishment might not be as fabulous as the grander hammams in town. There were only a few people there on a wednesday evening and these were tourists.
They charged 50 liras for full service (x-mas price perhaps). Upon entry I got a small room in which to undress, and a key to lock the room afterwards. As for the service itself, I had brought my own kese (rough glove for scrubbing) bought from the market to avoid being scrubbed with a communal one. It was good too because the other ladies there, who had gone without one, actually weren't scrubbed down, just washed. The kese+ wash is a pretty effective treatment, must say - makes one feel squeky clean - so I must recommend it. The towel was also provided by the establishment after the treatment.
My partner who went to the gentlemens' side informed me that men get more thrills - apparently there is a Finnish sauna on the mens side and he was offered tea after he was done, while I was not (albeit I was there on closing time). Note that the ladies' side closes earlier (at 20.30). For people with limited mobility - there is a long set of stairs down to the ladies' entrance.

Visited January 2013

Frankfurt, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not so exciting”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was at the Kadirga for the second time, last time in January 2013 on a Wednesday noon. I was the only visitor (although the weather was quite cold, with snow), when I entered. Afterwards a Turkish man also visited the Hamam. But, in total, the experience was not so exciting. They let you wait too long to stay in the sauna and hamam (the latter has 40 degrees celsius as well), and then the quite old masseur gives you a scrub and the massage, which was very weak. I think next time I will go again to a more touristic place - it will be a little more expensive, but also more lively and fun, and the massage there is not worse, I suppose. As a summary: Kadirga is certainly "authentic", but not a guarantee to feel entertained and very relaxed.

Visited January 2013
5 Thank GerdFfm
Arnhem
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Nice experience”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I went to this hamam on a Thursday afternoon mid December. I was the only (male) visitor until about one hour later another tourist arrived. The reception was neutral. I paid for the whole treatment: 50 TL.I was shown the Finnish sauna to start with but then I was left alone for about half an hour. After 15 minutes I left the sauna because it became too hot for me. After about 20 minutes the masseur arrived. The massage was rather rough in comparison to what I experienced before in other hamams (not in Istanbul). It was just bearable.... He did not rush, however, and took all the time for the washing and the massage. After the massage he made it clear that I could stay for as long as I wanted. Unfortunately you cannot get an oil massage here, but I don't think that is really authentic in a Turkish hamam. The masseur (or other staff) never mentioned any tips, not at the beginning, not at the end. When I came back to the central room, I was offered tea and water. As others already wrote, it's not a tourist place, but I can recommend it for a first time hamam experience. And you will visit a neightbourhood where you otherwise would not have come most probably.... My personal rating: good, better than average but not very good

Visited December 2012
2 Thank PenkiArnhem
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Cheap & no-frills intro to hamam”
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We are young budget travelers and were looking for a cheap hamam experience. Kadirga felt very genuine, if a little lacking in the beauty/character/spotlessness that you might look for at a nicer tourist place. Still, for 50TL it felt worthwhile. The marble bath rooms were warm, pretty, and filled with steam, and the sauna room was hot. When I went I was alone for most of the time; what looked like three local men came in towards the end of my massage. The massage was like those mentioned in previous posts; pretty rough, but definitely not over the top. My girlfriend's experience was very similar (the exception being that there seems to be more nakedness on that side). A worthwhile experience, but definitely not a royal pampering.

3 Thank TatooshRange
Al Ain
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Real thing. No frills.”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This place was recommended to me by some locals after asking for a real (i.e. non-touristy) Turkish bath experience; a place where the locals go.

First thing, they were right: this is not a touristy place: nothing but locals and very little English--I didn't find them rude, just down to business--and it does need a bit of renovation (e.g. mold towards the ceiling in the sauna)--but man, oh man, I have never had any experience like this: sauna, bath, massage, and "douche" for 50TL. I consider myself a very clean person, but I could not believe how much dirt he got off me. Downright embarrassing! But I've never felt cleaner. And that bottle of water afterwards is going to be one of the best of your whole LIFE! Trust me.

I went twice: first time I had Jamal, second Ali. Both were excellent. Jamal was a bit more talkative; Ali not so much, but both knew exactly what he was doing.

Tip: bring a fresh set of undergarments. You will feel incredibly clean, and there's nothing worse than putting on an old undershirt or underpants.

Visited December 2012