“Touring Gallipoli Sites”

Gallipoli Tour
Ranked #134 of 442 Tours in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Gallipoli tour are experts in Gallipoli tours. We offer high quality Gallipoli day trips and multi-day package tours to all popular travel destinations in Turkey. We are the trusted professionals for all your Turkey travel needs.
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had visited the Gallipoli Peninsula (site of horrific WW I battles) as part of a 3-week tour of Turkey in 1994 but wanted to visit again and get a more in-depth tour. Our hotel in Canakkale offered a tour saying we would join a tour from Istanbul. They explained all that was included and put us on the ferry at 10:45 the next morning. We were met in Eceabet, by a man who we thought would be our guide. However, he only walked us to a restaurant where we proceeded to wait for 90 minutes for the small tourist van which was coming from Istanbul with our guide, driver, and four other tourists. The group from Istanbul was exhausted when they arrived, having left between 6:30 and 7:00 AM. We had lunch and then set out (after 1:00 PM) for the battlefields and memorials on the more northern part of the peninsula that, for the most part, commemorate the Australians and New Zealanders. The guide mentioned a DVD he had shown on the long van drive as background; we had not had a chance to see that DVD. We visited 10 sites, some of which were memorials and some which were cemeteries as well. The guide's explanations became shorter the closer we got to 4:00 PM because he was determined that we would be on the 4:00 PM ferry to Canakkale. When the tour was described, the hotel rep said there were two areas to visit: the northern area and the southern area which is more geared to Turkish memorials but is also the site of English and French cemeteries. We understood that our tour would include both those areas and when it became apparent we were on our way to the ferry and would not see any of the southern areas, we questioned the guide. He said those areas were never on tours except for Turkish visitors. We were very upset about that and we were also upset that our tour did not include a visit to either of the information centers/museums that were described in our travel guide. As with most tours, the quality of the tour is dependent on the quality of the guide. Our guide was only interested in the four customers he had brought from Istanbul because he was guiding them on a week-long tour of western Turkey. We had read about Gallipoli and he also gave some incorrect information. We complained to the hotel because we did not feel we had gotten the tour we had been sold and they finally did return a portion of the cost of the tour to us. We were satisfied with the resolution the hotel made but we are disappointed that we still have not seen all the important sites of Gallipoli. If you want to see the Gallipoli Peninsula, we recommend you join a local tour and not one that is coming from Istanbul. Or, as we plan to do the next time, rent a car and drive yourself; there are some good maps and guidebooks available and with the high price of the tours, renting a car is no more expensive than paying for two or more persons to take the tour. Our guide book said one of the museums charged an entrance fee; none of the sites we visited did. We recommend you set aside a full day for touring the Gallipoli peninsula.

15  Thank happytraveler30183
in 5 reviews
"nation"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed November 11, 2012

This excursion is for 16 hours but it is well worth the experience. We stopped for lunch which was included in the price and was very enjoyable. We then continued on to Gallipoli where we met our Tour Guide for the day. I cannot speak highly enough of this guide - he was so knowledgeable and the tour was very informative. It was a very memorable experience and I highly recommend it. It was excellent value for money as well. On the way back to Istanbul we also stopped for some refreshments and dinner. Excellent tour.

20  Thank DIANEGPER
Reviewed November 5, 2012

So there are lots of tours that appear to go from Istanbul to Gallipoli. I am putting my review here anyway as before I left Australia I sent an email to a few companies and seem to get a response from the same person so think a lot use different names but are the same company. Was a very early pick up from my hostel, little bus which was really comfortable. Was about a 5 hour trip, with a half hour morning tea break. Eceabat was a little town prior to the battlefields where lunch was served. Lunch was not good. Very basic, but bland. Get some snacks at the first break! We then boarded a different bus to head to the battlefield with our local guide. Hassan. The day in whole was very emotional, especially given I had a grandfather in WW1. Hassan was very knowledgeable (if not a little critical of Australia) and was able to point out the most important parts of Gallipoli. There was lots of opportunities to spend some time alone to reflect on what happened here almost 100 years ago. The other people on the tour were all very respectful. The trip home was a nightmare, we stayed on the other bus which felt like it took double the time to get back. I arrived back at my hostel at 1am, so VERY long bus ride. I wouldn't be too picky in which tour you pick as you are likely to get the same operator.

15  Thank sydcarnie
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I had arranged a day tour from Istanbul to Gallipoli through the hostel that I was staying at, resonable price - about that of all other day trips I had looked into. Though it is a long day the tour was great and I would recommend to anyone. TJ - our guide was very friendly and good at telling both sides of the ANZAC story. It is a bit of information overload, but at the same time I learnt so much that I didn't know about the ANZACs and Gallipoli. The lunch provided was great and there are stops on the way to and from istanbul if you want a quick turkish tea break.
We were picked up from our hostel and dropped back to our hostel all in good time.

5  Thank Julainne