“Delicious but heavy.”
Review of Delicious Istanbul

Delicious Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: Looking to experience the real taste of Istanbul? Join Olga Irez in exploring the local markets, visiting hand-picked vendors and food makers, tasting famous and lesser known local treats and, finally, cooking a Turkish feast at Olga's kitchen.Olga cooks and eats full time in Istanbul and also publishes popular food blog Delicious Istanbul, so her insights and tips put you on the fast track of learning all about Istanbul food.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Biloxi, Mississippi
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Delicious but heavy.”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We did this food tour during our recent visit to beautiful Istanbul.
The city was amazing and during our trip there we realize the plenty and the richness of the Turkish cuisine. So we booked a last minute food tour with Delicious Istanbul. The tour was great and it was really delicious as the name of the tour describes. We were 5 people at the group. We visit the Asian side of the city. We walked to the markets were I have been impressed from the variety of the local snacks and herbs. The people in Turkey are very friendly and we had also the chance to buy some local products such as cinnamon and smoked sausages called suzuk.
We really enjoyed the tour. The negative side was the spicy of some things we try. We were not used in so much spicy and strong tastes so we had some really heavy stomachs at the end that last after couple of hours.

Visited August 2013
karkusha, Owner at Delicious Istanbul, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear mysterious reviewer! I have never served you so I don't think you are qualified to leave this review. I have NOT had a group of 5 people for the walk in August yet; there was NO one buying sucuk and cinnamon on my tour and there is NO "much spicy" food on my tour - I show Istanbul through my own stomach, and I don't eat spicy food myself.

This is the 3rd case over the past week when someone I have never met leaves a review for me so I have a reason to believe that you represent (hired by) my competitor to undermine my reputation. It's a neat job: a fake account is created, a few reviews besides mine are left to look more credible and I am not rated low (thinking I would not dispute a 5* review anyway) but a few not so pleasant things are mentioned.

Instead of engaging in the shameful practices and trying to manipulate the rankings I encourage the said competitor to focus on their own performance and customer service because it is the only thing that matters at the end of the day.

Cary, NC
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“The BEST, tastiest tour (and so much more)”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I love food. So I did a lot of research when deciding on a food tour, and lucky for me, followed the advice of fellow TA users and wound up with Olga. Our small group--5 total--was delighted throughout the day with one treat after another. We tasted cheese, meats, spices, seafood, blackberry juice, baklava, nuts, dried fruits, pideh, specialty desserts, and much more that I cannot recall. Furthermore, Olga recommended the best spice store, nut shop and wooden utensil purveyors, which was perfect for personal and souvenir shopping. She was professional and knowledgeable. Easily my best day in Istanbul (out of 8 days) was on Delicious tour day!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank dive35
Lincoln, Argentina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dont miss cooking with Olga!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

One of my highlights in Istambul was my cooking class. Crossing to the Asian side on the ferry, visiting the colourful market to buy the vegetables and meat and all the ingredientes, tasting an apple tea and a cup of delicious turkish coffee, savouring a Turkish delight, just to get into the atmosphere before cooking at Olga s flat. And finally after plenty of chopping and stirring, we enjoyed our delicious meal, with a bottle of special white wine and plenty of jokes.

1 Thank Linette S
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A delicious and informative introduction to the food of Istanbul”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My two friends and I spent an enjoyable day with Olga Tikhonova and two other food enthusiasts from Stockholm. We traveled both sides of the Bosphorus tasting and eating some of the staples and delicacies of Turkish cuisine. Olga was an excellent guide and informative teacher. We learned so much on her tour...And the food! Each place we stopped for samples was a delight. One of my friends is a food buff and she was especially delighted with the tour and Olga's knowledge. We took this tour on my Birthday and I can't think of a better way to celebrate than tasting so many delicacies from dawn to dusk. We ended our day in a beautiful outdoor garden where we shared a cup of tea with Olga before she left. It was the perfect ending to a perfect day!

2 Thank Rick K
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An enjoyable day”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We put a bit of thought into what we wanted out cooking class to be and decided, after looking at all of the options in Istanbul, that we would like to explore the markets and a different side of town that we probably would not have gone to, as well as learn a little about Turkish cooking. And it was the right decision. We were introduced to the BEST turkish delight, the BEST baclava and the BEST coffee. Olga bought the food for the day, then we walked back to her apartment and proceeded to cook the food. The class is largely led by the people that are participating and what they are interested in. Our class was small and great. A great combination of chit chat, thoughts on Turkey, its food, how to cook, little tips, a bottle of wine and good eating. Its not glamorous, but really down to earth, unpretentious and I would highly recommend. But they don't take credit card.

1 Thank Ursula S