“A must for first time Istanbulers”
Review of Delicious Istanbul

Delicious Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: Looking to experience the real taste of Istanbul? Join Olga Irez in exploring the local markets, visiting hand-picked vendors and food makers, tasting famous and lesser known local treats and, finally, cooking a Turkish feast at Olga's kitchen.Olga cooks and eats full time in Istanbul and also publishes popular food blog Delicious Istanbul, so her insights and tips put you on the fast track of learning all about Istanbul food.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed July 25, 2012

If you only have one day in Istanbul I recommend doing the walking food tour with Ozge and Olga. You not only learn about traditional local cuisine, culture and history, but the walking alone is like having a personal guide around the city. Ozge was quite flexible with our needs, we spent too much time in certain areas and had to adjust our route. I was also pleased that the cost of food was included and all we had to do was focus on trying different foods, desserts, spices and drinks.

1  Thank Becca_o_0

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We did a food walking tour and had Ozge as our guide. She is such a sweet, knowledgeable person and she made a real effort to talk and connect with everyone and did not mind answering the same questions from different people. I felt like we truly got the insider's guide to Istanbul and its food traditions. We tried everything from breakfast sandwiches in a street ally, apple tea, turkish coffee in a local coffee house, turkish delight, baklava, grilled fish, dried fruits and nuts, pides, dolma and much much more. For me this has by far been the most memorable day of my Istanbul trip. We started at 10 am and did not end until 5 pm so although the tour can seem pricy I definitely think it is worth the money. I would recommend it to anyone who believes that food traditions is at the heart of a country of city's culture. Only minor "but" was that Ozge agreed to email restaurant recommendations, but we have not received them yet and we returned home yesterday. I realise it is not part of the tour package, but we had hoped to eat by the recommendations on our last night and local tips are very valuable if you are picky about where you spend your money.

1  Thank SofieD1984
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Olga was so lovely and knowledgeable and we loved our experience with her! The market tour was so much fun--we sampled delicious foods and really got to shop around like a local! The mezze, main course and dessert we made in our cooking class were all delicious, and I look forward to making them again in my own home.

Olga was also tremendously helpful in helping us pick restaurants to it at during our stay in Istanbul. She really understood the kinds of places we were looking for and every place that she suggested was absolutely delicious!

Our experience all around was wonderful and a true highlight from our trip--I would definitely recommend Delicious Istanbul Tours!

1  Thank st934
Reviewed June 17, 2012

It's been almost a month since we had that tour with Olga. I still cant get over the amount of sugar she loaded us with that day! We were all feeling queasy at the end... I think that was her way to trick us out of the promised lunch!
Definitely not worth the €95!!

4  Thank SYA75
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Thank you very much for taking your time to review the experience you had on the tour with me. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy. Even more sorry I am to get this feedback 1 month later instead of on the day of the tour. Had I known you don't like sweets I could have catered to you better. I am very open to the feedback on the tour and when my clients articulate their expectations upfront I cater to them without fail. As for the lunch I have already responded to that below when your travel companions have raised the issue.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 16, 2012

very good introduction to anatolian food culture & tastes. i had olga on a guided tour around some of her favourite places on both the european & asian sides of istanbul. of almost all the things we sampled on the day, it was my first time... and it was helpful having someone there explaining the history, the culture and even the correct way to shop for, appreciate or eat it. olga was very patient in answering all the questions along the way, and even in making recommendations for dinner that night. the tour lasted from 10am-5pm, so i think the tour is quite reasonable value given the quality of the food sampled, and the amount of research that goes into such endeavours etc etc. anyway, just a tip for future people on the tour - do not eat breakfast, and bring good walking shoes :)