Review Highlights
The tour to do

There is two positive sides of taking this food tour. First, it allows to discover the real... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
Samer A
Lebanon
via mobile
Wonderful day eating and walking in the Old City of Istanbul

Our guide, Gonca, was the greatest. My wife and I had a delightful day walking and eating our way... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
LouisH824
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Istanbul
from $52.50
from $67.50
from $150.00
1,627 results
All reviews istanbul eats food tour bazaar quarter old city pide kebab krawl water buffalo turkish food clotted cream traditional breakfast turkey food stops baklava kokorec asian side kajmak pudding
Selected filters
Reviewed October 28, 2015

We did the "Culinary Secrets of the Old City” tour with the guide Ipek. We were a family with kids ranging from 8-18 and we all loved it - the young and the old! I counted ten stops to sample different food and beverages through the market areas of Istanbul - and each with its own story. Our guide Ipek provided us with plenty of interesting insights (about the food and Turkey in general) and we visited many areas we had not seen during our time in Istanbul. Is it worth the money? Yes... it would be well worth doing it at the start of your visit so you can go back to some of the places visited and avoid all the tourist traps - you will more than save the money you spend on the tour..

1  Thank GON_11
Reviewed October 27, 2015

My husband and I joined our leader Gonca (Gon-cha) on Oct 10. And the next 6 hours were a fast paced, delicious introduction to neighborhoods and specialities of food of Turkey. Our group consisted of 8 people , including tour leader, as more would not fit into the small establishments we visited. Gonca has an outgoing personality and her English is excellent. She gave us the overview of each area and the whys of the traditions. We learned so much about the culture. The different foods were quite delicious. I would not have ordered water buffalo butter drizzled with honey - but I can attest it was yummy . The proprietors were welcoming - some spoke English, most did not. Our group was adventurous and interested in the foods. We were all travelers. We were the oldest (70s) and the youngest was a medical student in his 20s. We all had fun and everyone tried everything. Some of the shops had beautiful displays of their specialties.
We took lots of pictures. By far, this was the most enjoyable and fun tour we have ever been on. Now I will always look to see if my destination has a culinary backstreets tour.
This is a super idea - wish they were in every city. We took the Two Markets, Two Continents tour. Wonderful. Highly recommend.

Reviewed October 26, 2015

Oh my-Our guide Benoit was interesting, fun, lots of energy, and fully engaged in this tour. What a way to see the city and nooks and crannies you would NEVER get to. Also, no pressure to purchase when he takes you to his fav foodie stops-you can go back for gifts if you like. He knows all the great vendors, is respectful of their craft and expertise, and all the while giving history, visits to mosques and stores. Do not miss this-yes, 5.5 hours may seem like a lot, but, it goes by so fast, and you see everything Istanbul has to offer. What a great tour!!

Reviewed October 26, 2015

I loved this tour. It was a terrific way of introducing our group to the customs and culinary delights of Turkey. I would take this tour early in your visit as it helps one select local dishes. It starts out with breakfast, so don't eat before you go, and finishes with a late lunch. Not only to do get to sample very good local food but you also get a fabulous walking tour of the area. The guide was excellent and very knowledgeable and knew many out of the way places that we would not have gone on our own. It was fabulous, don't miss it!

1  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed October 26, 2015

While visiting Istanbul, we took the opportunity to schedule a private Culinary Tour /Cooking Class Culinary Backstreets. Rachel was absolutely Fantastic to work with prior to arriving in Istanbul. Our guide/chef Aysin made the evening absolutely memorable.

Our tour of Aysin's neighborhood was an absolute treat, with a special requested stop in a spice store. The cooking class was even more fun, with Aysin having to rapidly adapt to the water and electricity being shut off in her neighborhood. Without missing a beat, the evening proceeded with a fantastic feast and great wine and conversation. Since returning home, we have already made several of the dishes, and added pomegranate molasses to our kitchen pantry. Thanks for making our final night in Istanbul absolutely fantastic!

Date of experience: September 2015