“Highlight of our trip to Istanbul”

Culinary Backstreets -Tours
Ranked #1 of 77 Food & Drink in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: When it comes to exploring a city’s authentic dining scene, while the stomach should ideally serve as the best compass, the truth of the matter is that it’s hard to find your way without good local advice. That’s where Culinary Backstreets’ Culinary Walks come in. In order to help you explore the world’s gastro-capitals and get off these cities’ eaten path, CB is offering (with selected partners) guided culinary walks in some of the cities we cover, starting with Istanbul, Athens, Barcelona, and Shanghai.Our culinary walks are designed to lead visitors on an eating binge through a city’s lesser-seen historic side streets and authentic markets, taking in countless hard-to-find culinary gems and, in between bites, a select number of untouristed monuments.
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This tour is amazing; we took the food on two continents tour with Benoit, who is fantastic in describing the history of Istanbul, Turkey, and the food we ate. Think we covered 10 separate tea shops/restaurants/dessert venues over six hours. Even after reading the extremely positive comments on trip advisor, this tour exceeded my expectations...so much food, so much variety, and the best part was walking through neighborhoods I simply wouldn't have visited; the pacing was perfect, with lots of time to relax. Be prepared to eat a lot of food! I particularly liked the ferry ride...easily the highlight of five days in Istanbul. If I'm back in town, this is the first trip I will book!

1  Thank Battlejag
There are newer reviews for Culinary Backstreets -Tours

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We had a great day with our guide Benoit. So helpful and informative. You will not need any breakfast before tour. Benoit took us on a wonderful excursion of the streets of Istanbul. The food was amazing and the people so friendly. We couldnot recommend it more highly. A must to do !!!!
Nothing was too much trouble. We walked and ate and experienced.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We had a great time on this tour. Our guide, Anna Maria, was so knowledgeable and gave us a lot of the political and historical background. The food was delicious and the neighborhood was really interesting. It was very relaxed, lots of time for questions and discussions. I recommend doing this tour early in your stay so you have a solid introduction to the food and where to go.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Food was the focal point, but Anna Maria took us through the history, cultural, politics, and economics of Istanbul as she took us through the backstreets. My only regret is that I didn't take this the first day of my trip, because I saw everything after it through new eyes.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I did the Old City walk and our walk took us all over the old city. Be prepare to eat, and no need to restrain yourself from stuffing your face, as there were more food than our group could finish! We walked, stopped and our food guide explained the various things we saw along the way, eat, move along the street, stopped again, ate some more stuff, and repeat :)

We ate typical Turkish stuff (pide, Turkish delights, kebab) and some other *stuff* (I won't spoil the discovery for you :) Definitely more fun than the normal walking tour.

And oh you get a high quality book of where to eat in Istanbul as part of the walk too, so do this walk early in your stay in Istanbul! If you love eating you must do this!

1  Thank Lawrence N