“A fantastic day eating our way through 2 continents in the city!”

Culinary Backstreets -Tours
Ranked #3 of 89 Food & Drink in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: When it comes to exploring a city’s authentic dining scene, while the stomach should ideally serve as the best compass, the truth of the matter is that it’s hard to find your way without good local advice. That’s where Culinary Backstreets’ Culinary Walks come in. In order to help you explore the world’s gastro-capitals and get off these cities’ eaten path, CB is offering (with selected partners) guided culinary walks in some of the cities we cover, starting with Istanbul, Athens, Barcelona, and Shanghai.Our culinary walks are designed to lead visitors on an eating binge through a city’s lesser-seen historic side streets and authentic markets, taking in countless hard-to-find culinary gems and, in between bites, a select number of untouristed monuments.
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We had heard of Istambul Eats on the travel channel and based on the reviews we went for it. Originally we had planned to do the old city tour but the office let me know that because of a Muslim holiday, that tour wasn't offered at that time. The office made it simple to switch. The walking directions from the ship was a little confusing, but our guide "G" was only a phone call away.. We were where we were suppose to be and G was right on time. I am still unsure what I ate throughout the day, but most was delicious! Walking and taking the ferry with G and the other couple from the ship was great. We saw the Blue Mosques from the ferry and we didn't miss the Grand Market. So, if you are looking for a fantastic different experience, BOOK THIS!

1  Thank brovelli
Write a ReviewReviews (1,514)
All reviews
in 66 reviews
"turkish culture"
"wonderful guide"
in 33 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

If you like to eat, then you should take one of these tours. It is worth the money. We did the "Backstreet Eats" tour and Megan was amazing. It was like having a friend who lives in Istanbul take you around and answer all your questions (on way more than just food). Just a wonderful experience.

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

If you are interested in eating local foods and getting off the beaten track, then this is the tour for you. Our guide was very knowledgeable. Not only did he take us to places that we would otherwise never visit, he also offered us a glimpse into the Turkish culture through food. Favourite part of the tour was having tea at an old caravansary and having katmer on the Asian side. Super yummy food. My tummy was bursting by the end of the tour.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This culinary walk was by far my favorite activity we did in Istanbul! Our guide, Angelis, was amazing and did such a fantastic job taking us around the city and introducing us to new foods. The tour was worth every penny and we were stuffed by the time it was over, don't miss out on this Old City tour!!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our walk in Athens was fantastic. We learnt so much from our very friendly and knowledgable guide Despena. This was our second visit to Athens and we loved the fact that with culinary backstreets we visited places frequented by the locals rather than the tourists. The tour supported the claim of local food, culture and history. Athens is the perfect place for that combination. I love our photos of the markets with all the colour and activity (I can hear the bargaining and chatter in my mind) amazing. I can still taste the amazing fetta cheese, yoghurt and fried balls with rose hip syrup. I do wish I had an outline and map of all we saw and ate so that I could remember the names of all the different foods and people to tell here. You will just have to do the tour yourself. You won't regret it.