“Istanbul Eats - And so did I!”

Culinary Backstreets -Tours
Ranked #3 of 78 Food & Drink in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: When it comes to exploring a city’s authentic dining scene, while the stomach should ideally serve as the best compass, the truth of the matter is that it’s hard to find your way without good local advice. That’s where Culinary Backstreets’ Culinary Walks come in. In order to help you explore the world’s gastro-capitals and get off these cities’ eaten path, CB is offering (with selected partners) guided culinary walks in some of the cities we cover, starting with Istanbul, Athens, Barcelona, and Shanghai.Our culinary walks are designed to lead visitors on an eating binge through a city’s lesser-seen historic side streets and authentic markets, taking in countless hard-to-find culinary gems and, in between bites, a select number of untouristed monuments.
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Do not pass through Istanbul without taking time to enjoy the walking foodie tour that Angelis and the Istanbul Eats team runs in the Old City. The best international layover I've ever experienced - able to get into the city, eat and walk for 5 hours and get back to the airport for my flight home. Our small group enjoyed delicious treats, peaks into Old City noshes' nooks and crannies and stories (and tastes) of daily life and the food culture that typifies Istanbul. Yummm.

1  Thank martha d
Write a ReviewReviews (1,436)
All reviews
in 54 reviews
"six hours"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were lucky enough to have Ansell the co founder of this tour as our guide, this tour was by far one of the best foodie tours I have been on for a while, Ansell has a wealth of knowledge and the Places he takes us to are amazing, throw in the food and some history on each person/business we attend and it equals a winning combination, would highly recommend

Reviewed May 6, 2013

The Istanbul Eats Old City walk is an opportunity to eat and talk about some of the best of Istanbul's fascinating food. My wife and I took the tour with Angelis who is as enthusiastic about Istanbul as he is knowledgeable about it's food. Starting with a breakfast of cheese, olives, clotted cream with honey, and tea, we moved through crowded streets and alleys experiencing the sights, sounds, and tastes of the Old City. Angelis loves his job and you benefit from that. He knows food and genuinely cares for the people who prepare and serve it. You won't end the tour hungry but you will end it having a great time eating things that you never imagined before you set out. I mean things like a milk based pudding thickened with chicken, a slightly alcoholic drink made with millet, stuffed lamb intestine grilled on the street, and a fresh, not frozen, doner kebab.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

this tour was amazing. I'm a big foodie and I'm an even bigger fan of off the beaten track exploring. this tour melded both perfectly. I was a bit taken aback with the price when I booked, but consider the following: unlimited food and drinks, six hour small group tour, free culinary backstreets book at the end. with all that, I'm surprised they don't charge more!

we visited ten places and tried all sorts of cuisine from around turkey. some I had had before (though not of the quality istanbul eats has found!), but some was quite new to me. nothing was disappointing. our guide, the co-founder himself, ansel, was fab. personable and knowledgeable, everything you want in a guide.

there's so much to see and do in istanbul but if you're there more than two days, heck, even more than one day, I highly recommend you book this tour.

1  Thank yrstruly