“Fantastic!”

Culinary Backstreets -Tours
Ranked #1 of 75 Food & Drink in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: When it comes to exploring a city’s authentic dining scene, while the stomach should ideally serve as the best compass, the truth of the matter is that it’s hard to find your way without good local advice. That’s where Culinary Backstreets’ Culinary Walks come in. In order to help you explore the world’s gastro-capitals and get off these cities’ eaten path, CB is offering (with selected partners) guided culinary walks in some of the cities we cover, starting with Istanbul, Athens, Barcelona, and Shanghai.Our culinary walks are designed to lead visitors on an eating binge through a city’s lesser-seen historic side streets and authentic markets, taking in countless hard-to-find culinary gems and, in between bites, a select number of untouristed monuments.
Durham, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I scheduled our food tour for the 2nd day of our trip to Istanbul, and it was a fantastic way to become quickly familiar with the streets (and food) of Beyoglu. It was a long day that passed far too quickly. Angelis is a fun and very thoughtful guide; he introduced us to delicious food, and also introduced us to the complex and textured culture of Istanbul. I would recommend doing the tour early in your trip.

Visited June 2012

Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Yum... I thoroughly enjoyed the Cosmopolitan Beyoglu walk earlier this week. Angelis, our guide, made it wonderful - he was engaging, energetic, knowledgeable and passionate about his topics, and we could tell he had good relationships with the restaurant and shop owners. We ate delicious food and interesting food that I would never have found (and, in some cases, even tried) on my own, and we learned about history and areas of city in the process. I think we stopped at 11 or 12 shops and restaurants. I was happy for a copy of the book Istanbul Eats to try more of the recommendations during the rest of my stay in Istanbul. I just wish I'd been able to do this tour at the beginning of my visit, and time to do the rest of the Istanbul Eats tours. Highly recommend!

Visited September 2012
Japan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not cheap, but worth the money.”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Small group, knowledgeable guide (Jen) and great food. I'd also recommend doing this tour on your first day - it's very useful to get your bearings in the city, and you'll also have more time to revisit some of your favourites!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank mcoomber
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Gourmet insider”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We just joined the Kebab Krawls with Megan and the 3 hours of eating and story telling was our most memorable tour in Istanbul! Basically we hopped through 6 restaurants in the vibrant Little Urfa neighbourhood, eating the "best of"in each and heard anecdotes about the gurus/ustas who are responsible in running and creating the fabulous dishes. Megan really gave us a colourful and insightful look into Turkish eating traditions and culture, plus all the food was awesome! My favourite was the gazientep soup and the eggplant kebab - its odd that eggplant in Turkey doesn't give me the allergy I usually have and the texture is so much better! If you want to try eating like a local in Istanbul, this tour is for you!

1 Thank Hawflakee C
Easton, Massachusetts
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great food, Great tour, Great time”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Our family and friends were travelling through Turkey and we wanted to experience some real local culture, food, and sites. We were a group of 8 (4 adults, 3 teenagers, and 1 10year old). Angelis was our guide and we met him by the Galata Bridge to begin our tour. Angelis is a warm, friendly, and very responsive guide. He asked a lot of good questions to ensure our trip through the culinary world of Istanbul would be enjoyable for all. The tour was authentic, meaningful, and memorable. Angelis was very flexible and was continually soliciting feedback to make sure we all had a great time. I recommend the tour and Angelis as your guide wholeheartedly. The only negative would be that we ate so much good food that we were as full as if it were Thanksgiving!! If you have the time and opportunity, you should definitely go on this tour.

Visited August 2012