“Fabulous!”

Culinary Backstreets -Tours
Ranked #3 of 91 Food & Drink in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: When it comes to exploring a city’s authentic dining scene, while the stomach should ideally serve as the best compass, the truth of the matter is that it’s hard to find your way without good local advice. That’s where Culinary Backstreets’ Culinary Walks come in. In order to help you explore the world’s gastro-capitals and get off these cities’ eaten path, CB is offering (with selected partners) guided culinary walks in some of the cities we cover, starting with Istanbul, Athens, Barcelona, and Shanghai.Our culinary walks are designed to lead visitors on an eating binge through a city’s lesser-seen historic side streets and authentic markets, taking in countless hard-to-find culinary gems and, in between bites, a select number of untouristed monuments.
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Yum... I thoroughly enjoyed the Cosmopolitan Beyoglu walk earlier this week. Angelis, our guide, made it wonderful - he was engaging, energetic, knowledgeable and passionate about his topics, and we could tell he had good relationships with the restaurant and shop owners. We ate delicious food and interesting food that I would never have found (and, in some cases, even tried) on my own, and we learned about history and areas of city in the process. I think we stopped at 11 or 12 shops and restaurants. I was happy for a copy of the book Istanbul Eats to try more of the recommendations during the rest of my stay in Istanbul. I just wish I'd been able to do this tour at the beginning of my visit, and time to do the rest of the Istanbul Eats tours. Highly recommend!

Date of experience: September 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,527)
All reviews
in 46 reviews
"small group"
in 55 reviews

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Small group, knowledgeable guide (Jen) and great food. I'd also recommend doing this tour on your first day - it's very useful to get your bearings in the city, and you'll also have more time to revisit some of your favourites!

1  Thank mcoomber
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We just joined the Kebab Krawls with Megan and the 3 hours of eating and story telling was our most memorable tour in Istanbul! Basically we hopped through 6 restaurants in the vibrant Little Urfa neighbourhood, eating the "best of"in each and heard anecdotes about the gurus/ustas who are responsible in running and creating the fabulous dishes. Megan really gave us a colourful and insightful look into Turkish eating traditions and culture, plus all the food was awesome! My favourite was the gazientep soup and the eggplant kebab - its odd that eggplant in Turkey doesn't give me the allergy I usually have and the texture is so much better! If you want to try eating like a local in Istanbul, this tour is for you!

1  Thank Shinnichi26
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Our family and friends were travelling through Turkey and we wanted to experience some real local culture, food, and sites. We were a group of 8 (4 adults, 3 teenagers, and 1 10year old). Angelis was our guide and we met him by the Galata Bridge to begin our tour. Angelis is a warm, friendly, and very responsive guide. He asked a lot of good questions to ensure our trip through the culinary world of Istanbul would be enjoyable for all. The tour was authentic, meaningful, and memorable. Angelis was very flexible and was continually soliciting feedback to make sure we all had a great time. I recommend the tour and Angelis as your guide wholeheartedly. The only negative would be that we ate so much good food that we were as full as if it were Thanksgiving!! If you have the time and opportunity, you should definitely go on this tour.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This was one of the best days we had in fabulous Istanbul. I generally shy away from all forms of organised tours, but decided to take the Istanbul Eats culinary walk in Beyoglu because I wasn't sure how to go about uncovering some of Istanbul's more adventurous culinary delights without local assistance. I am so glad I did. Our guide, Angelis, was incredibly knowledgeable about food, culture and history. He was patient and generous with his time as well as being warm, friendly and fun to hang out with. The tour opened up a world of food that I wouldn't have found otherwise. I would definitely suggest doing it early on in your stay because afterwards you will be so much better educated and make better eating choices for the rest of your trip. Angelis will also give you lots of hot tips on where to eat and you will want to have the chance to follow them up. Under no circumstances should you eat before staring the tour. You will consume terrifying quantities of food but you will leave culturally and spiritually enriched.

2  Thank mySEAtravels