“The highlight of our trip”

Culinary Backstreets -Tours
Ranked #1 of 80 Food & Drink in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: When it comes to exploring a city’s authentic dining scene, while the stomach should ideally serve as the best compass, the truth of the matter is that it’s hard to find your way without good local advice. That’s where Culinary Backstreets’ Culinary Walks come in. In order to help you explore the world’s gastro-capitals and get off these cities’ eaten path, CB is offering (with selected partners) guided culinary walks in some of the cities we cover, starting with Istanbul, Athens, Barcelona, and Shanghai.Our culinary walks are designed to lead visitors on an eating binge through a city’s lesser-seen historic side streets and authentic markets, taking in countless hard-to-find culinary gems and, in between bites, a select number of untouristed monuments.
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We spent the entire day with Angelis exploring the nooks and crannies of the area around the Spice Market. It is hard to believe that one could spend from 9:30 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon eating but we did. From breakfast purchased from the cheese and olive store and eaten on a newspaper table cloth to pide "pizza" prepared by a master, amazing baklava and delicious lamb cooked in a special oven we were dazzled and educated. Angelis has a combination of enthusiasm, knowledge and humor that make him an exceptional guide. Wherever he takes you you will be welcomed by his friends and treated to an amazing culinary experience. I could go on forever about what fun we had, but go yourself and enjoy the feast.

4  Thank dorinf

Reviewed September 14, 2011

I did not go on this tour - so it may seem odd for me to be reviewing them, but I wanted to pass on 2 pieces of info to the Trip Advisor community.

1. I tried a number of the restaurants that they recommended and every recommendation was excellent. I'm rating them a 5 because of their recommendations.

2. I did not notice the walking tours until the final week of my visit to Istanbul - I tried to book into a tour, but it was full and they wrote me that it was full for the week after that as well. So, book ahead if you don't want to miss out.

3  Thank Caanaadaa
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Istanbul Eats is the real deal. I tried food that I never knew exhisted.From chocolate baklava to tripe soup and everything in between. Meghan was great. She knew all the locals and her knowledge of not only the food but the culture of the neighborhoods we went to was amazing. This is really a fun tour. You eat all day but dont worry you walk it off.

2  Thank liscalabrese
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My girlfriend and I just returned from a 5-day visit to Istanbul - her third time, my first - and we saw mention of Istanbul Eats in NY Times so decided to sign up for it. We thought it would be the ideal experience to give some diversity to our visit, and boy, it delivered! Megan took 6 of us - me and Therese, two other single women and a couple from Belgium - on a tour of discovery of Beyoglu, the neighborhood north of the Golden Horn. We ate fabulously and learned all kinds of interesting things about the recent history of the neighborhood and the eating establishments there.

We loved the walking tour and recommend it highly to anyone who wants to go beyond the surface of Istanbul. Thanks, Megan and Ansel! Oh, and by the way, just to show you the kind of great organization I.E. is, we were curious as to whether the Grand Bazaar would be open, since it was the day before Ramazan Bayrami, and some businesses close for that day. Ansel made some calls and texted Megan during our tour to let us know that it was open, and then Megan gave us all the info we needed to get to the Grand Bazaar and back to our hotel. They go above and beyond!

1  Thank Charming_Karl
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I signed up for the Old Town walking food tour before leaving the US. Though I was a little nervous about arriving one evening and trying to find the meeting point right away the next morning, the instructions were very clear and I'm very happy this was the way we spent our first day in Istanbul. Our guide Angelis was great and the small group of 6 was just right. If you're thinking the tour sounds expensive, don't hesitate - it was more than worth every dollar: our tour lasted from 9:30to 4:00 and we ate our way through areas of Istanbul we would not have seen otherwise. This is the first thing we talk about whenever anyone asks us about our trip to Istanbul.

2  Thank Viruten