Basileus Hotel
Hotel Amira Istanbul(Istanbul)
$194
$163
  • Breakfast included
Angel's Home Hotel(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
$34
$110
$117
Hotels.com
$118
1,886 results
All reviewsblue mosqueturkeymade to order omeletsturkish coffeegrand bazaarwithin walking distancehome away from homeminute walkno elevatorold citymajor attractionssmall hotelhagia sophiastreet noiseyogurtairport pickupwonderful city
Reviewed April 14, 2014

The Basileus Hotel was my “home” for 5 nights in March/April 2014. From the moment I checked in, Omar, his brothers, and uncle who run the hotel, made me feel like I was part of their family. Originally, I booked a room for only 2 nights (with the plan of moving to another hotel near Taksim square for the rest of my trip), but after my first night at Basileus I decided to extend my stay for another 3 nights! The hotel was just too comfortable and the staff were so generous, friendly, gracious and attentive that I had no reason to even think of staying anywhere else!

In terms of location, it doesn’t get any better. The hotel is on a nice quiet street and within walking distance (not more than 2 kms) of many attractions including the Little Hagia Sophia (2 min), the Blue Mosque (5 min), Arasta Bazaar (5 min), Hagia Sophia (8 min), Basilica Cistern (9 min), Topkapi Palace (15 min), Archaeological Museum (15 min), Gulhane Park (15 min), Cemberlitas Hamami (15 min), Grand Bazaar (20 min), the Spice Bazaar (25 min). To see some of the other sites, for example, Galata Tower, Dolmabahce Palace, Istanbul Modern, Istiklal Caddesi, you can take a Tram (3TL) from Sultanahment station (10 min).

On the last day of my trip, just hours before my flight, I realized that I had lost my passport! When I told Omar, who by this time had become my friend, he did everything he could to help me out. He was unbelievably kind and concerned. He immediately called some of the cafes and restaurants I had visited earlier that day. Then he hired a taxi and sent me to the Canadian consulate. Also, he called the airline to cancel my flight for me. In the end I found my passport and flew home the next day but it was a very stressful experience. I am grateful to Omar and the entire Basileus staff for all of their help, support and for being so caring during my stay and especially when I was without my passport. Not only will I miss the great city of Istanbul but I will miss the friendly faces at the Basileus hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Solo Man S
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This is a comfortable, family-run hotel with superb staff. The room had an easy chair with footrest, mini-fridge, in-room safe, modern bathroom, good heating, and a balcony door that opened to let in fresh air. The breakfast is copious; it required hours of walking to build up enough hunger to eat again in the late afternoon.
It's the outstanding staff who really make this hotel. Everyone was kind, helpful, and knowledgeable. They were always interested in our plans and ready to give suggestions to improve our experience. Their restaurant recommendations were perfect for us: small restaurants with excellent food and hardly a tourist in sight. Thank you Omar and Ekrem! You made us feel so welcome and you made our experience richer.
The location is close to major sites. The Sultanahmet area is full of tourists up the hill, but just down the hill are small hotels in a real neighborhood with small restaurants and grocery stores. The streets were laid out centuries ago, so they are steep, narrow and there is little sidewalk. I'm 65 years old and I managed it easily, even in the rain.
Noise is typical for a neighborhood. I'm a light sleeper, but I slept soundly.
I will surely return to Istanbul, and I can only hope that the Basileus will have a free room for me!

Room Tip: My room was 301, which has a small balcony and a street view. Lots of sunlight in the morning. Moderate neighborhood noise, but not bothersome. Became totally quiet by about 10:30 pm.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank hrsch
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This trip was an 18th birthday trip for my daughter and we both had the most brilliant time; made even more enjoyable due to staying in the Basileus hotel. It is in a great location, clean, lovely rooms and decor and came at a very good price. The self serve breakfast buffet is amazing (and should save you buying lunch!): toast, patisseries, fresh fruit, cereals, sausage & chips, meats, cheese and omelettes made to order. All this and then the staff: what an amazing group of people. They are so incredibly helpful and friendly. Nothing is too much bother and they do everything they can to make your holiday as enjoyable and fun as possible. Within a few minutes of arriving my daughter was presented with a birthday cake, candles and all! What a lovely and thoughtful surprise for her which she shared with other travellers who were in the lovely lounge area. This area, by the way, is a great hub of activity and a lovely way to feet others especially in the afternoon with the tea and cake provided; a fab way to share experiences of the day if you so wish. An all round wonderful first trip for us both.
Sharon and Alice, Shoreham-by-Sea, UK

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Sharon1266
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My stay at the Basileus Hotel "completed" my vacation. The location, charm, wonderful breakfast buffet, comfortable rooms, surpassed every expectation I had. The hotel staff are the BEST in the world. They are extremely professional and very caring of each and every guest. The Basileus Hotel is THE hotel in Istanbul!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful 10 days in Istanbul, where millions of tulips are in bloom everywhere. This was our tenth trip to this historic site, and the most enjoyable of them all. We stayed with another couple in the Basileus Hotel, by far the friendliest and most helpful hotel we have ever stayed at, anywhere. It is inexpensive, clean, and convenient to all the important major attractions. But most of all, it is managed and maintained by the most enjoyable and competent people imaginable. They love to share their passion for their city, to be helpful in every way possible. And the breakfast buffet is the best! We give them six stars on a five star system. Kay and John Cahalan, Austin, Texas.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends