“Love Istanbul. The topping was a Great Hotel.”
Review of Basileus Hotel

Basileus Hotel
Ranked #26 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This family owned hotel will ease your travels with smiling faces, heartwarming service and truly personal touch. Basileus Hotel easily deserves a 5 star for Service. The location is ideal for those who do not mind a 10 minute walk to the beautiful Blue Mosque, Topkapi palace, Ayasofya, the tram line and the Basilica Cistern. We enjoyed a nice dinner at Buhara 93, (5 – 7 minutes) walk from the Hotel. There is a small grocery store in front of the hotel which carries some nice choices of dry Ottoman red wine.
We met Omer who took time to introduce us to the local sights. After a long day at work, he accompanied us to a local fish restaurant called “Palukcu Balik Lokantasi”. It was great, eating as a local, with a local. Our arrangement to a local Historical Turkish bath, “Hamami” was also arranged by Omer. He also introduced us to Mimar Sinan, by the Sultanahmet Mosque. What a view while enjoying your hookah. These experiences were just a snippet of the welcome we received at Basileus Hotel, Istanbul.
Sometimes sitting at the lobby sipping Turkish tea and observing the interaction between Omer, his brother Ekrem and the Hotel guests amazes me because it is such a pleasure to see someone sincerely loving what they do as ambassadors to Istanbul and also their hotel. I remember wanting to go to a dancing Devrish performance and they took turns calling the local institution to gather additional information for us. What a service.
We will definitely return to Istanbul because 8 days was not enough but more importantly, would recommend you trying out Basileus Hotel. Here is a chance for you to experience a boutique hotel, with great value, great breakfast spread, homemade tea-time treats but more importantly a place to call Home away from home. If you get to meet Omer and his brother Ekrem, you will recognize sincere service.

2  Thank Will_Travel_Lite
There are newer reviews for Basileus Hotel

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I am happy to say that the excellent quality of service at the Basileus is consistent. I stayed at the Basileus two years ago and recently returned for another vacation. I was again pleased with the convenient location, being a short walk away from the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. The place is well maintained - the decor is absolutely lovely, making for a very comfortable stay.

Most important was the service: Omaar and his brother did everything possible to make my time in Istanbul enjoyable. They were extremely accommodating. Being a solo traveler can be a bit boring at times but these two brothers took good care of me, always ready with suggestions on where to go and what to do. I would recommend the Basileus to anyone looking for a relaxing and enjoyable trip to Istanbul: great location, great service, great hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Andari2014
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My wife and I had stayed at the Basileus for 4 nights and it had made our trip to Istanbul a great experience. Now this review is just to reiterate just how great these owners care about their guests. I told some close friends who really enjoy the nicer things in life about our time in Istanbul. When asked where we stayed, I mentioned the quaint, neat, and clean Basileus Hotel. Since they where concluding a high end cruise in Istanbul, I mentioned the small and reasonable priced hotel. The location was excelllent, about five blocks from the mosque and many great local restaurants in the area. They immediately wanted to try it and I waited for their feedback. It was excellent and they could not believe just how great this little hotel could be and the the help in mentioning local eating establishments and any other questions they had. This makes me take the time to again mention this hotel since it is such a rare find. The owners have really continued to take pride and be there for their quests. Also, it made my tales of my many trips and local quality hotels much more believable after their great stay.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank aircsi
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The hotel is located centrally in the Sultanahmet area. About a 10 minute walk up the hill to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. The breakfast was good with made to order eggs. The rooms were spacious and clean. Water bottles were provided free of charge as it is ill advised to drink the tap water in Turkey. The staff was very hospitable and tried to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

My only complaint, which was out of the hands of the hotel was that we had loud music playing outside our window until about midnight both nights we were there. We were located on the ground floor and faced the back of the hotel. Make sure you bring ear plugs!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Just came back from Istanbul after 10 days vacation. We spent one night at Basileus Hotel because other days the hotel had been fully booked so we had to book another hotel. When we arrived the front desk people are very nice to us and Osman told us if we have any problem and need help during our trip, we can contact with him. The next morning we need leave 4:30 am. They were not only ware us up but also packed sandwiches for us. When we came back from our tour to Istanbul, we lived in a different hotel and need charge our computer but the hotel does not have US adopter for the charger. I went to Basileus Hotel and asked them if I can borrow their adopter. They said no problem and lent it to me even without ask me the deposit or which hotel we were living. Osman let us use it until we leave Turkey. He is very nice and helpful. I am very moved by his help. If you want to stay a place like home, Basileus Hotel should be your choice at Istanbul. It is very close to all attractions. And Osman will like your brother and take a good care of you.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank OldRat
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The staff were extremely helpful, hard-working and positive, the breakfast was really great, the room was a good size and comfortable, nothing to criticise really. It's also just a few minutes from the Hagia Sophia. It's nice to stay in a place that helps take the hassle out of the heavy duty tourism that a place like Istanbul offers. In a city where you need to have your wits about you while out and about it's good to have one angle covered. The recommendations and advice the guy on reception gave me were spot on, wish I could remember his name to praise him. Will go back there if I go to Istanbul again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank j d
Reviewed January 2, 2014

During our stay in Istanbul, we called Basileus Hotel, our temporary home. This family owned hotel will ease your travels with smiling faces, heartwarming service and truly personal touch to what I categorize as a 5 star service, 2 thumbs up. The hotel is conveniently located in the Sultanahmet area, 10 minutes walk to The beautiful Blue Mosque , Topkapi palace, Ayasofya and the tram line.
If you ever get to meet Omer who not only works in the hotel but also helped built and renovate the hotel, you are in luck. Such sincerity in service and hospitality in welcoming guests not only to his hotel but to Istanbul, Turkey is quite refreshing.
Prior to coming to Istanbul and booking a hotel, we realized there were so many other hotels but the stay at Basileus Hotel was truly a pleasant one. Omer and his brother Ekrem truly operates the hotel with with warm Turkish hospilatility.

2  Thank 3_Chats_Noirs