“Summer Vacay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Cairo, Egypt
“Summer Vacay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I went to this hotel with my family, after having moved from another 5 star hotel down the street. The beds, unlike other hotels, were comfortable. They didn't throw your back out like you've been stuck in a box for a decade, they were rather really comfy. The lobby was really nice to sit in at night because it gets really calm, and you'd have a spectacular view of the city. We got our room on the top floor and we could literally see everything that istanbul has to offer. The food for breakfast was pretty nice too! I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone going to Taksim, especially since when I had checked out I realized I had forgotten my iPod in the room. When I got back to Cairo, I had emailed them and they were happy to send it to me via Fedex. I loved the fact that they kept it and it wasn't lost. It was great service!

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floors!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LanaSoufy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

24 years ago we spent our honeymoon at the Marrmara and for the 24th anniversary I decided to book this hotel again, although we live in Istanbul, just a few kilometers away. We mentioend teh special reason during check in and I bet in any other 5 star hotel they would do something special for e.g. an upgrade, a fruit basket, etc...ok, no problem. Room was ok, the view breath taking....but, when we went for breakfast next day, we were facing a disaster. Spent 20 minutes waiting for a table and buffet was poor, extremely poor. First they asked us to have breakfast in teh bar area, sitting on little, tinny and low tables but I refused. I'm traveling a lot for biz reasonas and I spent more than 100 nights a year in 5* hotels all over eastern Europe, but I never ever experienced such a disaster at breakfast and never seen such a lousy buffet. At check out the offered an upgrade for my next stay - what a brilliant idea. No thank you. A 5* hotel MUST be perfect in any aspect of the biz. Having a good location and nice rooms is not good enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MustafaKIstanbul
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I visited Istanbul for work and stayed here for 4 nights. The view of Taksim Square was great and the free breakfast was delicious every morning. Great location as well, I would stay here again if I come back to Istanbul.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Beirut, Lebanon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Yes, just 4* and to be more honest and fair , I doubt the international hotel classification auditors will be able to grant the 4, the management should really work on that.
Is really the location an asset for this hotel? Well maybe ... I had the most wonderful view in Istanbul.
I love the staff, great people, but I am sure they are really stressed.
The renovation of the lobby and the lower area is not enough, this hotel needs serious and professional maintenance , specifically for the rooms ... Plumming , carpets electricity ... Everything.
Careful it is not worth the value.
I am sure I will avoid next time.

Room Tip: If you cannot avoid , make sure you are on 15th floor and above.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Spokane, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I would have given 3.5 stars had I not had to deal with the sleazy management of this hotel. The rooms are fine, not 5 stars (old hairdryers, crappy shower, varying water temperature, noise from the street). The breakfast buffet is mediocre at best. The views and location are great and is what most likely keeps the hotel profitable.

I organized a meeting at this hotel and encountered the most dishonest, money grubbing "professionals" I have ever met. Their #1 priority was nickle and diming (or 1000s of Euros) you to death to ensure you never return. Seems these people are trained by greaseball US used car salesman and use some of the same phrases. Too bad I or my colleagues will not be going back to spend $400/night anymore. :( There must be high pressure to make immediate profits for short term interests but no long range customer satisfaction goals whatsoever. Stay for pleasure, stay away for business.

Room Tip: Get a Bosphorous room, or one that's not on the "city view" side. Will be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ItsAllAGame
Beirut, Lebanon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I just arrived home after my vacation to Istanbul at Marmara Taksim Hotel . First of all I would like to say that stop cheating peapole , this hotel is not a five stars hotel its not more the two to three stars because the location is the worst and the most noisy place in istanbul .Inspent 2 days no sleeping all night because of the noisy square all the time day and night from the crowds of people and car horns and buses that didint know maybe the day from night .I was at the 15th flour but the sounds killed me all night .Its a crazy area and crazy hotel and stuff. Please take my preview in concern and contact me if u need for more information on my e-mail roytalge@hotmail.com to tell u mre more about this bad hotel . They must close this hotel and dont advise it for nobody on line .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
TheMarmaraTaksim, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Taksim, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Riad Talge,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We appreciate your constructive feedback.

The Marmara Taksim Hotel is situated right in the heart of the city on Taksim square, which is a known place for all the activities happening in town and thus the general noise. However, due to the recently started project implemented by the government called “Taksim Square Pedestrianization Project”, nowadays there is even more traffic around the hotel.

In your reservation, you had especially requested a room facing the Taksim square on a high floor, which we provided with great pleasure. Should you have informed us during your stay regarding the outside noise bothering you, we would have gladly changed your room.
We will be very happy to welcome you back at The Marmara Taksim Hotel once the remodeling of the square is finished. Until then, we remain…

Sincerely yours,

Minay Masimova
Ankara, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stay at this hotel couple times a year for business because the location is really convenient; at Taksim. You can reach most of the business area easily by taxi even by metro. It is also very close to the stop where airport shuttles stop. The hotel is old but relatively clean. The rooms toward the Bosphorus have extraordinary view .I find hotel more and more crowded each time I stay, and last time it was really bothersome. The rooms are really small and the wierd thing, there is no power plug in the room except the ones they use for TV or lamps. You have to use the one in the corridor or in the bathroom which is not so convenient. The breakfast room is not big enough for hotel capacity and you just try to find a spot walking around tables. As a whole, it is a nice hotel at an excellent location, and if you book a room with view, you can enjoy the excellent Bosphorus especially during night time, but get ready for the crowd.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the upper floors, otherwise the room especially facing Taksim square are very n...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business