“The Marmara Taksim grows on you”
Review of The Marmara Taksim

The Marmara Taksim
Ranked #87 of 1,178 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed October 26, 2012

An experience must be judged in its entirety. At first glance, the Marmara was so glitzy/tacky that I instantly wondered what my husband was thinking when he booked it for our 5 night/6 day stay in Istanbul. But, he did the work of booking, sparing me the trouble, so I kept quiet. And I am glad I did. Although the amenities were probably just of 3 star quality, we actually had a 5 star time.

The room was small, but comfy and clean - always made up properly and discreetly. No one knocked to wake us up even though we slept in one morning. Service staff appeared as soon as we sat our butts down in one of the cozy seating areas in the lobby overlooking Taksim Square. For 6 days, it was Mr. James this and Mr. James that - very hard not to like that kind of personal touch. The concierge recommendations were excellent, and the location at the head of Istiklal Caddesi is ideal. We spend a full day walking down Istiklal to Galata Tower, just exploring, shopping and eating the whole way. The location is also central all transportation - honest taxis, buses, the tram and the Metro.

My husband used an internet hotel booking site to get a good rate which I would recommend. The Marmara experience is really about convenience and the warm and friendly people that work there, not luxury amenities.

Room Tip: Being on Takim Square, there is a fair amount of street noise. Ask for a higher floor if you are a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank An_Huibi
TheMarmaraTaksim, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Taksim, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Mr. and Mrs. James,

we thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and we are very glad that you enjoyed your time in Istanbul and your stay at The Marmara Taksim. It is our intention to make our guests feel at home and we consider ourselves lucky that your husband had picked our property for your trip to Turkey. We certainly hope to have the pleasure of hosting you in our hotel again and look forward to your next visit to our beautiful city!

With our best wishes,
Minay Masimova
Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,332)

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I checked in @ 3 pm and the room was not ready !! Phone calls are exteremly expensive. You should not use it unless it is highly needed. I paid about USD 12 per minute for calls to my home town Jeddah, Saudi Arabia :( The best thing in this hotel is the location. It is located opposite to Taqsim Square and few minutes walking to the nice street (Taksim). The hotel is the oldest 5 stars hotel in Istanbul. You should use escalator to go to the lobby which is small and boring. There is a nice balcony located in front of Taksim Square for those people who enjoy the crowd and noise:). Room are small and furniture is little bit old. TV channels are limited. Food menu is bad as Turkish food is really delicious. You have to ask for a sea view room as the view during the day time is fantastic.

Room Tip: Sea View room is a must in this hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Haddawi
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This hotel sits right at the beginning of the famous street called Istiklal Street in Taksim. It's a great location, really. The rooms are quite small and a bit claustrophobic but well maintained. They've recently renovated the lobby area...somehow I preferred the older one. The red plexiglass is a bit tacky in my opinion. I'd stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights, over the course of our 8 day trip to Turkey (the other 2 nights were in Cappadocia). Overall, ok. Typical hotel services. The rooms are quite nice, though the toilets are small. The shower is a long bathtub with a shower screen. Obviously the screen was added over time, as people started to prefer showers to baths. We paid a good corporate rate for it, and that was ok. However, I would not have paid the Expedia rate for this level of hotel. Though having said that, I haven't stayed at any other hotels in Istanbul, and can't compare dollar value. My observations are only based on what we have paid for hotels in other major cities like HK, Singapore, New York, SF, LV, Bangkok, etc. Oh, one thing to note. Stay away from the dining recommendations of the concierge. It seemed to us that they were steering us towards dining establishments which were very touristy, or perhaps where there might have been kickbacks. Twice when we mentioned some other place, we received a response of "Who told you about that place? Where did you get this recommendation?" Their response to us was that they can only recommend places that they "trust" and know to be good and safe for tourists. The place we ate at, on the first night which was recommended by them was awful. Beautiful location, but obviously touristy. It was filled with tourists, obviously from the hotel. In fact, we recognized some of them. For dining tips, check out Istanbul Eats. It is a great website, with lots of recommendations of places with good local food. There is one restaurant we rather enjoyed called Zubeyir, which is walking distance form the hotel, just of Iskital street. Good food, decent wine, and a mix of locals and foreigners.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ariab
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Just got back from a sailing/city trip in Turkey. Spent 3 nights in the Marmara Taksim.

The hotel is reasonably clean and almost up to scratch however, I don't see how they justify the 5* quality and 5* price. If you are expecting luxury, you will be disappointed, unless perhaps you have the executive presidential suite.

We got a taxi from the airport after declining the hotel's offer to pick us up for EUR 160... The cheeky taxi driver had already started his meter running well before arriving at the airport and there was already 30 Lira on the clock. Two can play at this game and I decided that I would take this off the fare upon arrival without mentioning it upfront. After a wild ride at ridiculous speeds, dodging people, cats, squeezing in between buses, we almost arrived at the hotel but the driver had an accident which served him right for driving like, well a normal Turkish Taxi driver. He then claimed that because of the accident, he would knock off 30 Lira from the bill so I ended up paying a reasonable fare of 45 Lira which saved me the argument.

There was no one to take bags or greet you at the hotel which I would expect in a hotel which claims to be 5*. The greeting is yet another, security guard, metal detector and x ray machine combination, which rather spoils the otherwise reasonably grand entrance of the hotel.

For such a large hotel, there are only 3 receptionists who were also multitasking by taking telephone calls. This could also be improved with more staff at busy times and separate call centre for guest enquiries.

We got a deluxe Bosphorus view room on the 14th floor and looked, east I think, directly out to the bridge. The view, especially at night, was fantastic. The bridge is lit up with a multicolour lighting scheme which changed intermittently throughout the night… In the day time, the view becomes more detailed with numerous ships and oil tankers on the Bosphorous. Shame that the vertically hanging window cleaning cable spoiled things a little. I would think that views to the south and west would also be nice as you would see the famous Mosques and other landmarks.

Having a north facing room, is probably the worst option as Taksim square below is very busy throughout the day and night.

Beware that, at the time of writing, there seem to be extensive building works neighbouring the hotel on the south side. I guess it wouldn’t be so pleasant to stay on the lower floors on this side there at the moment.

Even on the 14th floor, I found the traffic noise quite disturbing. I am a light sleeper but managed to fortunately pass out straight away at night. However, this was probably the result of Istiklal Street being a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. I suffered extreme fatigue of having to go shopping with my girlfriend after dinner every evening till midnight which is when many of the shops are open till.

In the mornings I found the constant drone of traffic noise, even with the window closed, quite irritating.

The room was of a minimum size. Again nothing luxurious about it. The bed was firm with reasonably good quality linen. The carpet was dated and there was a quaint whiff about it which never really disappeared, even after leaving the suicide prevention window open the maximum 3cm it could go.

The bathroom had no window, but was well tiled with marble, which means it was probably luxurious 10 years ago. The bath was not something I would use for a bath so to speak, as it was also dated with rusty looking marks around the plughole and indentations from the shower head or some other heaving object being dropped multiple times. The water pressure was good and the becoming quite mouldy shower screen closed all the way across the bath to keep the water off the floor.

The toilet flush was extremely powerful and could be heard from the next room.

The rooftop restaurant/bar, seemed quite fashionable, but there are so many other places to eat and drink in Istanbul that we didn’t bother to get dressed up to go there.

Location is the main plus point for this hotel.

Being on Taksim Square, the funicular which connects to the tramway/metro is very close and you are within easy reach of the wallet draining Grand Bazaar and other tourist attractions.

Bargaining tip: divide original price by 3 or perhaps even 4.

Travel Tip: You can buy an Akbil card from the bus station opposite the hotel which saves you hunting for coins each time you want to use the tram and it is a little cheaper, although if you are thinking of making a reservation at this hotel, you’re probably not on a budget.

The hotel concierge was very friendly and knowledgeable and he was happy to give hints and tips on daily excursions.

The main reception was very easily persuaded to extend my check out time to 1400 (from 1200) as I decided I could not bear a final morning of shopping on the last day of my trip and decided to have a massage. The spa is nothing to write home. It is again quite tired looking and the little padlock which you are given to stow your belongings was quite distasteful for a 5* hotel. The pool looked quite nice, but it is not at the top of the hotel so it is not really “rooftop” and I didn’t use it. Upon returning to my room, after my visit to the spa, I found that I was locked out. While my checkout time had been extended, I had been locked out of my room, again another tut tut, which I would not expect for this price.

Not feeling like taking a risk with the local barber, I mistakenly tried the extremely expensive hotel service which was also terrible and not something I would recommend. I look like a porcupine today.

On checking out, I also got my finger caught in the luggage stand in the room and it is blue today.

So unless you want to be a fatigued, bruised and poor porcupine, I would probably look for another hotel if you are planning a trip to the intriguing city of Istanbul.

I rate this hotel poor, mainly due to the fact that it is not value for money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Istanbul is a lively city, be aware. Rooms on the upper floors not only offer great views, they also are quiet to enable your good night sleep. I liked this hotel a lot, security is always checking people, you will feel safe. Service in the breakfast rooms on the upper level could have been better. Checkout could be faster, but I understand that they want to carefully check you do not leave with an open invoice... Anyhow, this place is a good recommendation!

Room Tip: High floors provide you the better view for sure - and here it's worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

If you you have no problem to pay more! And if you want to stay at one of the memorial hotel in Istanbul, so you have to choose marmara hotel.
This hotel has a great location and unblievable view of sea! (if you choose sea view rooms). Also you can choose city view rooms with the view of taksim sq. and with cheaper prices.

• Stayed: October 2012