“Lovely food but a bit pretentious and corporate”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lokanta Maya - CLOSED

Lokanta Maya
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Karakoy
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely food but a bit pretentious and corporate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

We tried to go on our first night in Istanbul, as we had seen the Ottolenghi Istanbul episode, but it was fully booked, so we reserved for our last night.
The food did not disappoint, if you love Ottolenghi, you will love the food here. I only had vegetarian meze and loved them all.... Not in love with the desserts, however.
Service was attentive as well.
However, the atmosphere, although lively, is very corporate and snobby, so if you prefer casual dining, don't go here.
Not open on Sundays (in fact, most restaurants are closed then!)
VERY expensive!!!

• Turkish first
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Superb food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Wonderful restaurant with an emphasis on beautiful starters. Modern Turkish cuisine, fine and subtle tastes and a relaxed atmosphere. A definate yes for a great restaurant.

Visited March 2014
San Mateo, California
“Hard to make a reservation but very good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Last year, 2013, I tried to book this restaurant but I couldn’t. In March 2014 I finally made it and the food, service and overall quality is beyond my expectations. I started with passion fruit Bellini, which was a nice aperitif, then had sautéed hellumi cheese with braised pair as a starter, main dish was a traditional sole meunière with potatoes. And mastique pudding with sour cherry sauce and ice cream for a dessert. All of those dishes are fabulous! Servicepersons speak good English and explained me all the local ingredients I didn’t know. This was a wonderful experience and I will revisit this restaurant next year again, if I can grab my table again.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank koba-sf
Austin, Texas
“Great all around restaurant!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Very good restaurant. Very nice modern atmosphere. Excellent service. Food was all very interesting and very well prepared. Cocktails were a bit on the weak side as is often the case outside of a 'cocktail culture.' Not five stars as I wouldn't consider this a best of the best restaurant, but I would highly recommend it and definitely come back when I'm in Istanbul.

Visited February 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Unexpectedly good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

I went here with 10+ other ladies for a birthday lunch and was pleasantly surprised by the really delicious food and ample portions. It was preset, but the food was still very, very good. Service and wine also very good. I would love to try for dinner. Busy and small so make reservations!

• Visited December 2013