“fun expat bar with all your sports!”

The North Shield Pub
Ranked #5,408 of 13,724 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Durham, North Carolina
“fun expat bar with all your sports!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Slightly confusing... there are 2 North Shields Pubs. This one has a sign that says Ports Shield and is right by the Gulhane tram station. They charge way too much for a beer (12 TL for a small Efes, you can get it for 6.50 TL up at Barbecue House), but they carry all the channels with American sports. We spent Thanksgiving in Istanbul and watched the traditional football games late night with a whole group of expats. Lots of fun for a one-off evening.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank LorenCM

• Turkish first
Barry, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I used this bar quite often, as it was on the way back to our hotel. The drinks are a little overpriced, but where else serves guinness.
The food is really good and there is a friendly atmosphere. They have sport on most of the time, different games on different tv's and from about every country you can think of.
We found the staff really good, friendly enough to chat to. As it is on a corner on a tram route, you can watch the world go by as you relax with your pint.

• Visited November 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
“Don't go here”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This place is massively overpriced, the staff are rude and dishonest. I managed to rack up a decent bill here but when it came to giving my change back - about 40 lire the staff flatly refused. Keep waling and go somewhere else.

1 Thank Tom B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Nice Break”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

After a long day touring the Istanbul Archaeology Museum, my wife suggested a stop at the North Shield for a Guinness. We had noticed the pseudo-pub when we arrived at the tram station earlier in the day.
The place was half full/half empty when we arrived and we were immediately seated and given drink menus. I already had decided on a "Half and Half" (sometimes called a Black and Tan in certain circles) and the wife wanted a Guinness. When I asked for the Half and Half I was met with a blank stare. After discussion between the waiter and the bartender, I was told my drink was on the way. What arrived was a pint of Guinness. The nice thing about a Half and Half is that even if they screw it up, you still get a Guinness.
The North Shield is a nice place. Clean and orderly. A large number of tv's and printed signs touting football and soccer games establish the place as something of a sports bar.
I really liked the people-watching opportunities the place offered.

I vacillated between "Good" and "Very Good" for a rating. The drinks were boogered up and kind of pricey. But the place was clean and the staff friendly. And the location was good. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

1 Thank G C
Perth, Australia
“Not without it's faults”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Came to watch AFL finals game as advertised. We managed to view about 10 minutes of the entire game as the signal was not working. There was a pub full of pretty disappointed supporters. I ordered the calamari, which was incredibly disappointing. About 2 actual pieces of calamari and flaky bits of batter. Nice pub - but better food, better value prices and a proper cable feed for games would help a lot.

• Visited September 2012

Been to The North Shield Pub? Share your experiences!