“Amazing for a short break”

DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town
Ranked #106 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This was a short city break for us recomended for any travellers that like food culture and history! me and my partner were attracted to to the location of Hilton Doubletree and was not disapointed with it - it is close to the Blue Mosque Grand Bazaar and all the other monuments. fantastic to walk to the locations or the lazy option is to take the trams. This city is buzzing with life and after a long day I recommend the spa at Hilton! fabulous hammam clean one of the best we have visited! Although the location was excellent the hotel is more of a buinesss convention centre and the staff were not very hospitable but this did not make our stay any less pleasurable.

2  Thank Shy-Khan
volkan_vural, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share these good comments.

We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my girlfriend for 2 nights and this hotel met our expectations. Overall the hotel is very good with very good of service and convenient location. Hotel looks very recently renovated both in the common areas and inside the rooms. Internet in the room is very fast. There is also very good restaurant on the 5th floor.
The only reason why I put 4 out of 5 is because they claim to be 5-star hotel. They are not, mainly because of the small details that are missing. On our arrival day it smelt very bad in the bathroom for the unknown reason and we had to call the reception to fix it. Room is quite small, which can be expected in Paris or London, but not in Istanbul. There are also no bathrobes
Not really big issues, you need to be perfect to be truly 5-star hotel

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with windows facing the internal lobby
2  Thank AntonLysenko
volkan_vural, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay.

We appreciate your positive comments, as well as your constructive feedback which I have already shared with the team and I will follow up personally. Apologies for any expectation that we may have failed to fulfill.

We always endeavour to offer the highest level of service and appreciate your valuable opinions.

I look forward to welcoming you soon and try to show you our improvement.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Istanbul Old Town Doubletree for three nights at the beginning of our weeklong stay in Istanbul. Overall, I would say that it's a quality hotel in a central location to Istanbul's sites marked by outstanding service by the people who work there. We got an amazing rate for Thanksgiving week, and because we're Diamond on Hilton, they gave us a street-facing view. They said that they were fully booked for our stay and couldn't upgrade us to a suite, and the hotel did look busy. Whenever you get a street-view room, you're worried about the noise and if it would filter in, but the room itself was very well-insulated from noise, and even on a busy street, noise was not a factor except for one night when it seemed like all the stray dogs in Istanbul barked in unison at 3AM.

The location in Sultanahmet was central, and the hotel was directly in front of a tram stop, which was very convenient. Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque are somewhat walkable if you want to explore the Old Town, but the tram makes everything convenient.

There service was very friendly throughout our stay, and everyone spoke very good English.

The room was very modern, but not very spacious. Whenever you are dealing with a hotel in an old part of town, you run the risk of having small rooms, and this hotel was no exception. The amenities were everything you expect from a Doubletree Hotel in America, with the exception of the bad instant coffee in the coffee maker. The bed was firm and the rooms were cleaned well. We were actually surprised at how modern the interior was considering the location in the Old Town.

The buffet breakfast downstairs was very comprehensive. It had all the Turkish breakfast items as well as American ones, with both hot breakfast and cold. Unfortunately, because the tours of Istanbul provided breakfast, we weren't able to take full advantage of the hotel's breakfast, ...and the one day we could wanted to eat breakfast, we overslept and showed up 10 minutes after it closed. (All the breakfast items were still there for a full breakfast service, but they didn't allow us to just pick up some stuff, but instead gave us anything off the breakfast menu.)

I would definitely recommend this Doubletree because it is a modern hotel in a great location.

3  Thank jg325
volkan_vural, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay in DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul Old Town.

We are so happy to hear that you had a memorable stay with us.

We would like to thank you for the favorable comments concerning our facilities and staff, as well as the location.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the nearest future.

Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights room #243. Our experience with this hotel started with a greeting from the hotel doorman who noticed our arrival and took us to the receptionist. One plus point. Then served by a friendly receptionist. One plus point again. Not enough, they gave us 2 warmed yummy chip cookies (even though it's only a marketing strategy, but it works on us) = good impression so far. The room also provided with a kettle to make your own tea or coffee! Finally there is a European hotel that came to their senses. Many hotel in Europe don't provide this!!! Thank you Doubletree for this!

Bathroom is equipped with Evelyn & Crabtree toiletries, fancy hey? The slippers are in the room already without have to ask the receptionist in some hotels! Room service is great, and don't forget to order chocolate cake that shown in the picture on the menu. I'm addicted to it. So yummmyyyy!!!

Now the downside, the bed is too soft and the pillows are too heavy. I'm not sure if it's an old bed or if it is just the type of the mattress. It sink when you are lying down. We are not a big fan of this bed. But we couldn't be bother to ask for a room change as we are just there for 2 nights & maybe all the beds are the same in that hotel. I won't recommend this hotel to people with back problem.

Location is near tourist attraction or if you are sick of walking, you can take a tram just outside the hotel. Pay 3 lira for a single trip.

We also tried the roof top restaurant. Food was ok. But I was disappointed that I can't use the 15% voucher for the bill that I received when I checked in because I forgot to bring it when we had our lunch there, even though I asked the bill to be charged to our room. However, it's not a big deal. The price is reasonable.

The room is quite. We had no problem. No wifi in the room. We could use the internet for free at business centre. Also free printer for your boarding pass. Handy! However, I'm not sure if I like not having free wifi at this century but it was good to be free from virtual world sometimes.

We highly recommend to all people (except those with back problem) to stay in this hotel when they visit Istanbul. And we highly recommend Doubletree to invest on more comfortable bed and pillow! We enjoyed our stay! Thank you!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank MissTjia

Dear Guest,

We are so happy to hear that you had a memorable stay with us.

Regarding the pillows and beds, I would like to say that it is the brand standard so we have to use them until they make a change.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the nearest future.

Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there end of November 2012 for 5 nights. The hotel was in one of the best location in old town istanbul, about 5 min walk from the grand bazaar and Abt 8 min walk from the blue mosque.
The hotel is in a shopping complex and the entrance is very small compare to other hiltons. The staff were not that well coming too. They need to cheer up a bit more. Other then that all in all it wasn't that bad, especially as it is in prime location.

• Stayed: November 2012
volkan_vural, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Istanbul - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you soon and try to show you our improvement.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The location is perfect for all the sights. Service was good. Rooms are modern with stall showers. Get them to include breakfast. Very good otherwise it is $20 a person per day. Tram stop right across the street and ATM's all around.

Room Tip: In the back, quieter
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share these good comments.

We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is my first trip to Istanbul. Listened to many friends about where to stay and what to do but chose the Doubletree because of the reviews. There’s not much to add on the superlative side as many reviewers got it just right. If you want quiet, ask for an inside room. The fitness center is open 24 hours and quite OK. The breakfast, as most reviewers point out, is “adequate”. If you stay on the European side, as it’s called, you’re pretty much confined to that area where most of the major tourist venues are. If you need to travel to the Asian side consider the ferry not a taxi. Sunday is the day to use a taxi.
Food and drink. The local beer, Efes is like Corona and very tasty. Had “traditional” Turkish food but wondered if I’d ventured outside the tourist area if it would be different. Best food for me, clearly the Sultanahmet Fish House. A good walk from the hotel. Make reservations.
I’ll be back to the Doubletree.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind feedback. I am very delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and our services.

We hope to welcome you back soon.