“Booked double room, but was not available”
Review of Sumo Cat Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Istanbul
Sumo Cat Hostel
Ranked #418 of 1,194 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“Booked double room, but was not available”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We booked a double room, they sent us a confirmation email, everything was in order. We arrived at the hostel around 6pm and they told us that the room we booked was not available, but they could put us in a 6-beds room where we would be the only guests. There was a girl in the room at the time, but they would move her to another room. Ok, not perfect, but still acceptable. I asked if it was possible to have a double bed, since that was one of the reasons we booked a double room and they said it wouldn't be a problem, they would just move one of the other beds. My boyfriend offered to help them move it, but they said they would do it later when some staff arrived to help. All right, so off to dinner we went.

When we came back, around 11pm, the room was open and there was a girl sleeping inside. Moreover, the beds were all where we left them. We asked them why there was someone sleeping in the room, we were promised nobody would be there. Apparently nobody told the girl to move to another room, so she just went to sleep. They had to wake her up, had her collect her things and move to another room, while we waited downstairs. It was absolutely unpleasant for all the people involved. In the end, we slept on bunk beds.

Despite this being a really unpleasant experience, the owner didn't seem sorry in the slightest (the staff girl did seem concerned, though). They didn't even offer a partial refund, we had to ask for it!
The worst part is that they obviously took us for fools, telling us they'd move the girl to another room and move the beds, when they had no intention of doing either!
Don't go there. They simply don't care (and the breakfast is horrible).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Cheap, neat, clean hostel in Istanbul. Great!

Great location, near Galata tower, walking distance from Taksim. The staff is very helpful and friendly.

We stayed in February 2012, it was quite cold (but just like anywhere else in Istanbul in February!), but the staff did all they could to unfreeze our feet!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Great location, close to the city and the Galata area. Although there's a killer walk uphill if you're arriving by tram and lugging a giant suit case, other than that it's just a 5 min walk from the bridge and into the Sultanahmet area.
The people there were friendly and best of all, wasn't one of those over crowded / over populated hostels with a million people rushing through. Really liked the fact that they only have so few rooms which made it feel really cosy. Plus it isn't on a main street, which made it nice and quiet at night. Stayed in the dorm, and the room was clean and had a lady who came in daily to clean the bathrooms - which is a big plus point!
A little tricky to get there the first time, but look out for the little Sumo Cat logo on the walls on your way up that dastardly hill.

Room Tip: The dorm room has a big window that looks out to the little front courtyard where everyone hangs out...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lizaoh
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

not much to write, u just totally feel as u r with ur family at ur own house in a different country.
Need info? Just ask to staff then u'll find ur way as if u had been to that place hundreds time.
Need to hangout? Just in the middle of the center. Need to feel safe? In a metropol city but in the most quiet street.
Go n cook with other visitors.
Have fun. Like we did much more we had expected.

• Stayed November 2012
Izmir, Turkey
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have stayed there for 2 nights at the ground floor 6 bed dormitory at late October. The floor seemed like it haven't been cleaned for ages. The bathroom was also disgusting, when someone takes a shower it got all flooded and the shower curtain was very dirty and moldy. On the bed sheets there was a giant hole. When i was trying to sleep i felt a funky smell and I found some dirty underwear of previous guests between the bed and wall, no one had cleaned the room.

When we arrived at the reception there was a girl working there who was very helpful but when the Bayram holiday started she went away and other two guys started to work. And things got worse. I have booked an add-on bed for the second night (and had paid the same as normal) but he just threw a mattress on the floor. He had told me that I can have a blanket if I get cold and when I asked for a mattress later (there was a tiny wall between me and the garden), the other guy told me "there isn't any other blanket". I insisted but he seemed like he doesn't care, even after I told him I will write it on the internet. If another guest hadn't gave me his blanket, I would end my holiday very sick I suppose. Later a guest told me that they were only 2 in their 6 bed room and surely there were available blankets for me. At the same night there were lots of luggages and stuff at the reception, we learned from the working man that they belonged to two American girls who had a problem with their bookings and he just threw their belongings to the reception. When the girls came we heard lots of arguing. And when we were leaving we have seen an used condom and tampon under one of beds, making it the final shock.

My advice is, stay away from there. Probably because I was the only Turkish among a group of 4 girls, the man wasn't afraid to treat me like that. I am also sending a few pictures of the disgusting stuff we have seen.

Room Tip: If you must stay there, we have heard that rooms at the upper floors are nicer. But keep in the mind...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Sumo Cat hostel is located centrally in the European part of Istanbul on the Galata hill.
It is close to Istiklal street (for shopping and going out) and within walking distance of Sultanahmed (the old city center), making it an ideal base for exploring Istanbul. The rooms are nice and clean, and so are the bathrooms. Staff is friendly, the breakfast is good, and the WiFi is free. It should be quite easy to find, but we had to call for directions, just to learn that we stood right in front of it, without seeing the (tiny) sign.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

if you are looking for a good hostel in Istanbul look no further the SUMO CAT is where you want to be you can walk it easy when you get off the airport shuttle bus just follow the directions . you will find friendly staff a good atmosphere you will meet people from every walk of life , it is very handy for sightseeing just off Taksim square all the transport is nearby but lots of the sights are within walking distance like the GALATA Tower the SPICE MARKET + the GRAND BAZAAR enjoy your stay.
KEN KEELER
SCARBOROUGH
ENGLAND

Room Tip: choose a room away from reception
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends