“family..”
Review of Sumo Cat Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Istanbul
Sumo Cat Hostel
Ranked #400 of 1,246 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

not much to write, u just totally feel as u r with ur family at ur own house in a different country.
Need info? Just ask to staff then u'll find ur way as if u had been to that place hundreds time.
Need to hangout? Just in the middle of the center. Need to feel safe? In a metropol city but in the most quiet street.
Go n cook with other visitors.
Have fun. Like we did much more we had expected.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have stayed there for 2 nights at the ground floor 6 bed dormitory at late October. The floor seemed like it haven't been cleaned for ages. The bathroom was also disgusting, when someone takes a shower it got all flooded and the shower curtain was very dirty and moldy. On the bed sheets there was a giant hole. When i was trying to sleep i felt a funky smell and I found some dirty underwear of previous guests between the bed and wall, no one had cleaned the room.

When we arrived at the reception there was a girl working there who was very helpful but when the Bayram holiday started she went away and other two guys started to work. And things got worse. I have booked an add-on bed for the second night (and had paid the same as normal) but he just threw a mattress on the floor. He had told me that I can have a blanket if I get cold and when I asked for a mattress later (there was a tiny wall between me and the garden), the other guy told me "there isn't any other blanket". I insisted but he seemed like he doesn't care, even after I told him I will write it on the internet. If another guest hadn't gave me his blanket, I would end my holiday very sick I suppose. Later a guest told me that they were only 2 in their 6 bed room and surely there were available blankets for me. At the same night there were lots of luggages and stuff at the reception, we learned from the working man that they belonged to two American girls who had a problem with their bookings and he just threw their belongings to the reception. When the girls came we heard lots of arguing. And when we were leaving we have seen an used condom and tampon under one of beds, making it the final shock.

My advice is, stay away from there. Probably because I was the only Turkish among a group of 4 girls, the man wasn't afraid to treat me like that. I am also sending a few pictures of the disgusting stuff we have seen.

Room Tip: If you must stay there, we have heard that rooms at the upper floors are nicer. But keep in the mind...
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Sumo Cat hostel is located centrally in the European part of Istanbul on the Galata hill.
It is close to Istiklal street (for shopping and going out) and within walking distance of Sultanahmed (the old city center), making it an ideal base for exploring Istanbul. The rooms are nice and clean, and so are the bathrooms. Staff is friendly, the breakfast is good, and the WiFi is free. It should be quite easy to find, but we had to call for directions, just to learn that we stood right in front of it, without seeing the (tiny) sign.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 16, 2012

if you are looking for a good hostel in Istanbul look no further the SUMO CAT is where you want to be you can walk it easy when you get off the airport shuttle bus just follow the directions . you will find friendly staff a good atmosphere you will meet people from every walk of life , it is very handy for sightseeing just off Taksim square all the transport is nearby but lots of the sights are within walking distance like the GALATA Tower the SPICE MARKET + the GRAND BAZAAR enjoy your stay.
KEN KEELER
SCARBOROUGH
ENGLAND

Room Tip: choose a room away from reception
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Perfect hostel no questions!!!!!!!

Excellent budjet accommodation, one of the very best hostels I have stayed in world wide.

Staff are excellent informed, interesting and very friendly.

Sumo cat attract a wide variety of people which makes it a good place to hangout between seeing the GREAT city.

Facilities are very clean with a funky style.

Coffee + Wifi a big +++

100%

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Sumo Cat Hostel is located very central in Taksim area (European site of Istanbul) next to the famous sight Galata Tower. The area it lies in is kind of fancy with deserted, unoccupied houses on one hand and crazy designer stores on the other hand. For making trips to famous sights in Istanbul is located good. It takes like half an hour walk to get to Sultanahmed (Blue Mosk, Aya Sofya, Topkapi Palace, etc) but also has a good connections to public transport system.
The hostel itself is a small but tall building in a quite area. I stayed in the office site room. Even though it was next to the reception most of the time it was quite. There were six beds inside, one night even an extra matress on the floor which was quite disturbing.
The personnel is friendly and helpful and the breakfast really good. There is a cosy atmosphere in the hostel.
The things I really disliked is the (non-)cleaniness. The bathroom was really really dirty and distgusting and the floor in the bedroom not clean at all either (hairs, used condom below the bed, etc).
In general I can recommend Sumo Cat Hostel for a few nights if you dont spend too much time in the hostel but rather in the city. If there is a high need for cleaniness, one should rather not go there.

Room Tip: Cheapest room is office room.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed in the sultan suite and it was really nice. Its not as big as it seems on the pictures but theres enough room for two. You even have aircontidioning in the room (which didnt always work perfectly), which is not natural. I've stayed in some hostels around the world and none of them had airconditioning.

One thing that you cant see in the pictures of the website is, that the bathrooms are really really small. Its like one quare-meter / 10 square-feet and if you enter the bathroom you are already standing in the shower. Which means you can pee, wash your hands and shower at the same time :) That was a little suprise but it wasnt that bad, as the bathroom wasnt dirty or something.

The room was a little dusty and there were holes in the sheets. But we were okay with that, as we were still staying at a hostel and not in a hotel.

One thing that also was suprising, is that the people staying in the hostel dont really connect. When i was there everybody was caring about themselves and didnt really try to have a conversation with others. This is also one thing that i never experienced when staying at a hostel. Normally everybody is open to getting to know new people.

The staff was really nice. I whish they would have had more "secret tips" of where to go to or what to do.

One thing that would have been pretty normal are bugs - but there were none!

The location of the hostel is perfect. Its just by the galata tower where people sit, make musik, drink and laugh every night, but if you need sleep its still quiet at night. Theres a mosque nearby, that can wake you up in the morning, but actually there is no place without a mosque nearby. You can walk to all the important places, as istiklal street.

One more thing: You really shouldnt go in the summer because its really too hot to go anywhere. If you want to do sightseeing and get to know the history and culture of the city, you should go sometime between october and april.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple