“a perfect day”
Review of Sumo Cat Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Istanbul
Sumo Cat Hostel
Ranked #405 of 1,236 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Sumo is really good! If you are searching for quiet place with your girl.. thats the place..
Rooms are small, but who need more than cosy room with bathroom an air counditioner.. There are few more things.. the area is great, because the street is quiet bur really near to Galata tower. The staff.. the basement.. the feeling and the owners who are really nice guys! Peace and Metal.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Sumo Cat Hostel

Reviewed September 11, 2011

A great find, this hostel has it all: excellent location--peaceful yet within pleasant walking distance to all the action; excellent, friendly atmosphere with different room options for different trips; extremely helpful information provided online, and staff whose handling of all matters goes beyond the call of duty and makes for a stand-out hostel experience! (This included help and practical guidance before and during my trip, and even the return of a lost item to my overseas address afterwards!) I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sumo Cat, and am sure myself to return.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2011

first time round in a hostel. loved it!
everybody was really friendly, the place is cute, well designed and so central.
if you go there with your significant other, ask for the Sultan room on the top floor with a view of the Galata tower.
just a few minutes walk from Istiklal pedestrian area.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I went to Sumo Cat hostel in March as I was in Istanbul on vacation by myself.The staff was really professional and friendly and helped me get acquainted with the city. When I arrived they even had some lunch for me, which was yummy. The staff at Sumo Cat truly helped make my stay in Istanbul awesome. I asked them all my questions about the best places to see and I even made some new international friends at a mixer they had. I highly recommend this place to anyone especially solo travelers, you will definately make friends if you're staying at Sumo Cat! Loved it!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Like others, we had quite high expectations for the Sumo Cat hotel and the sultan's room, but what a massive disappointment!

The sultan's room that we payed more than 70 euros is extremely small! There is one power socket in the whole room and one light! We got one tiny bed sheet full of holes and our room hasn't be done in 3 nights!

The bathroom is really nasty! You do not have space at all! You almost have to sit on the toilet to take your shower.

We have been charged in Turkish Liras at an absurd conversion rate of 1euro=2,40 TL, while the exchange was 2,25 TL=1 euros, when you are asked 70 euros, the difference is not so insignificant!

Do not let the nice wall graphics fool you and give the sultan's room a miss if you don't want to be disappointed! MIght be ok for backpackers but not when you pay more than 70 euros. At this price you can find a much better deal!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank greguar83
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Sumo Cat is one of the few "normal" hostels in the Taxim area. The staff is ultra nice, the hostel clean and neat. Best of all, it's located right next to the Galata tower in an area that is unfamilliary peaceful for Istanbul. I've visited few hostels around Taxim and not one gets even near this place. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2011

the sumocat team is very sweet in a genuine way. Everybody is helpfull and understanding. The location is perfect, the best part of the centre because of the interesting shops, cute bars and restaurants, and still not overcrowded. I stayed in different rooms, they were all clean and neat. The only thing that I didn't like, was the fact that the dorm at the ground floor wasn't soundproof at all. Unfortunately I woke up with receptionnoises every morning. But in the other rooms, everything was perfect!

Room Tip: every room, except the ground floor-dorm is great.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends