“A good night's sleep-and nothing more”

The Green Park Pendik Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #598 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Tokyo, Japan
“A good night's sleep—and nothing more”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel courtesy of the airline that I was flying: our flight from Sabiha Gökçen Airport was cancelled, and the passengers were taken to the Green Park Pendik because it was close to the airport and could accommodate a large influx of people.

The first impression of the hotel was that of a recently-completed project that never really took off: the lobby was big and felt empty, despite the crowd of passengers who kept arriving from the snowed-under airport; some shops in the lobby appear to have never been opened (or opened and closed soon thereafter); the restaurants sat empty, and so did the bar, despite the blasting music coming from within.

While waiting to be checked in, a friend and I decided to have a drink at the bar. The music was too loud to have any sort of conversation, and the waitstaff was very reluctant to turn it down. Our beers took quit a bit of time to arrive, despite our being the only customers. When I tried to pay, the waiter said he didn't have change for my 50-lira bill, and when I offered to pay with a credit card, they were unable to print a receipt because their POS terminal broke down midway through the transaction.

Eventually, it all got sorted out, but then came another hurdle: the dinner. The Bistro restaurant (canteen? cafeteria?) had already served dinner to most of the guests by the time we arrived, yet, we couldn't get our food for 45 minutes at least. The servers ignored customers, and, when we were finally served (2 courses out of the supposed three), the food was unremarkable at best.

When we got to our floor, the first thing that caught our eye was the carpeting in the corridors: it had large stains everywhere, as if massive amounts of liquid had been spilled onto the carpet and then dried.

On the up side, the room was rather nice: it was spacious, with a grand window overlooking the sea (not a romantic view, at the least, with cargo ships parked just outside, but a sea view nonetheless).

There was one strange thing about the layout of the room: one of the bathroom walls was, in fact, a huge window separating the bathtub from the room. Although there were venetian blinds on this window, there was no way of closing them completely, which meant that showers had to be taken in full view of whoever was in the room. Quite awkward indeed, especially if you're not a couple...

As other reviewers pointed out, the shower door is flimsy and even if you take your showers really, really carefully, a small pool is bound to form on the bathroom floor afterward.

The air conditioning/heating system (it was December) remained a mystery, since regardless of which function or temperature we selected, the actual temperature kept climbing up until it reached 28.5 C. At that point we just switched off the air conditioning and simply opened the window to let some air in.

If you're a smoker and decide to use the balcony, watch your step. The 'balcony' railing is about 20 cm high. Ah, the adrenaline rush!

The best thing about the room was the bed. It was hugely comfortable, with the nicest of pillows and a fluffy duvet, and I got a fabulous night's sleep.

It would have been nice to have a bed to myself, though, rather than share it: we got a king-size bed for a couple, although we were two acquaintances and had specifically asked for two separate beds.

To sort out some of these issues, I tried calling the reception, but they weren't particularly helpful (the first time I was transferred to a person who didn't speak English).

I was really looking forward to using the spa and the fitness centre, which was closed for the day when we arrived, but by morning I had enough of the Green Park and just wanted to check out as soon as possible.

During the checkout it took the reception a full 20 minutes to complete the procedure, most of which comprised of discussing unrelated matters among themselves while holding our key and our passports.

Summary: the hotel could have been nice, it really had the potential, and it would make a good congress centre (if only because of its proximity to the airport/industrial sites and its size), but the attitude of the personnel leaves a lot to be desired, and so does the attitude of those taking care of the place. One could really do without the wet-looking stains.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GypsyInModa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Älmhult, Kronobergs Län, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Huge business hotel close to SAW airport. Great rooms with very comfy beds. Fantastic breakfast buffe. Huge minus are that Wifi are missing in the rooms. Area outside the hotel are quite boring, but 10 min walking are Pendik centre with a selection of bars and resturants.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have been there for my business trip. It is very close to Airport and was close to area that I had business. They provided Limousine services from Airport to hotel. It is a good choice for your business and events purpose.
My colleagues were very happy with huge events at The Green Park Pendik Hotel.
It was a warm and friendly welcome by employees at the reception. I was happy with free WIFI which is mostly not free at many hotels in Europe and expensive. My room faced to the sea and I had great view from my sleeping bed which was good after long day to relax. Laundry service was very fast. The hotel also provides translator service which I really needed for my business. In addition, breakfast was good and plenty of choice was available on the open buffet.
Hotel has a very good Spa and massage that I really enjoyed after long meeting and business talk during the day. In addition, the hotel has one of the best Gym facilities in the world. I have never seen so big hotel gym which provided very professional equipments in it. If you are a businessman or women you will enjoy to be there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

If you want to stay in a smelly and very noisy room, have tasteless meals and stay in a location which is nothing special, then go ahead and pick this hotel. I want to warn you though it is not cheap also! So it might be one of the worst valued hotel rooms on the planet.
The room is not clean, just check the walls, they are covered with dark wallpaper, so smart to hide but a closer look makes things clearer!! The sheets were stained and there was hair in the bed.
There was a humming noise which lasted whole through the night as well as planes landing/taking off (there is an airport near the hotel), noises of ships (there is a dock across the hotel) and the room walls are paper thin so you get to listen next door too!
This was really a disastorous stay, the only reason we didn't complain or even leave immediately, is that we were there for a wedding and even though we paid for the room we didn't want to upset the groom since he arranged the stay.
By the way, I have stayed in Green Park Kartepe (the same hotel chain) and throughly enjoyed it, so I don't know which one is the exception to the chain's general style.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank raindeep

Travelers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Ankara, Turkey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We went there for congress. We paid for a room for three for three days and they sail ' sorry we can't give you one more bed until tomorrow. You have to stay three persons in a room for two.' And the bed was for a couple!! One of our friend slept on a couch and we shared the bed. And their excuse was 'the hotel is so crowded, we don't have a bed.' Then why did you take money?? And a lot of people got sick on the third day. Doctors thought it was because of the food. We couldn't leave the hotel because it's location is too bad. I did't stay till last day. I hope I never have to go that hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank ilkem u
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a week for business, whilst it was in an OK location for Tuzla where the shipyards are where I was working on a daily basis, this was the only plus!
I am just so glad it was not my personal money being spent! The room I had was a good size, however there was a clump of hair in the corner of the shower, also hair on the tiles around the sink and toilet, although I informed reception of this they stayed there all week!
The shower was good and powerful, but the screen was ridiculous, so the bathroom got flooded every time you showered. The disposable coffee cups in the room looked like they were used and then washed and placed back, they even had water residue in them! The mineral water in the minibar had been drank and the bottles refilled from the tap, the seals were broken, however the reception staff did give me now ones FOC.
Most of the staff cannot speak English (which is understandable as you are in another country) however they have a very poor attitude to guests.

The service in the Bistro restaurant is dire and I waited over 3 hours for a 2 course meal!! Which was brought out wrong twice, so I just ate it in the end! There is a buffet restaurant too, called a gourmet restaurant!! Its worse than school dinners! And the breakfast, which looks impressive is terrible, all the pastries are dry, the coffee is terrible and the hot selection bland and boring! The tables in the restaurants are no good for taller people either, I am 6ft and had to sit about 2 foot from the edge of the table due to poor design and a bar right where your knees should go! This caused be to bump the table and knock over my coffee on the first morning, the coffee stain then stayed for the remaining 5 days!!! The hotel is dirty in the eating area's so who knows what it is like where they prepare your food!
The best food I had there during my 6 night stay was when I ordered room service. Besides that I would advise you eat out elsewhere, especially when this hotel charges high prices, for example a bottle of Moet 950 TL! Thats over £300!!!

The room was €90 per night which was supposedly a discount company rate, I would suggest that if you do not mind paying a little more a night then go to the Divan Asia in Pendik, it is much nicer and the staff are more helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank VSATengineer
Tehran, Iran
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

my fiance and i stayed for 3 nights in this hotel . it was our first experience in asian side of istanbul. this hotel is located in Pendik area which is far from Kadikoy (city center in asian side). hotel is near the sea and pendik port and in a very silent area , so proper for relaxation time.Specially walking in pedestrian near the sea is so nice and there is a good coffee shop there for having a tea .our room was big enough for two and very clean,however rooms just have wired internet and for using wi fi u should go to lobby or restaurant.room service was very good and our room had a nice view of the sea . breakfasts were excellent .Interesting point about this hotel is that the restaurant for launch and dinner is working 24 hours. one time we had dinner in midnight there and we could choose from a varied menu , and quality of food was amazingly delicious.it has a nice outdoor area for seating.hotel has many facilities that we couldn't experience unfortunately but the main problem is that the staff seem not very experienced and a few knew a little english! they couldn't guide us in anyway.
if u want to go to kadikoy the best way is Metro station,other ways is time & money consuming.
there are 2 shopping malls near the hotel too.

Room Tip: choose higher floors & rooms with full view of the sea.