“Friendly and Perfect location”

The Empress Theodora Hotel
Ranked #67 of 1,061 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Friendly and Perfect location”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Small hotel in the heart of everything. With that comes some down sides. As mentioned in previous posts, the street can be noisy, we were lucky and had a room away from the street. We stayed our first three nights here and returned for our last two nights before flying home. Our first room was a nice double room in the middle of the building. We were awoken at 5:30 with the call to prayer from the surrounding mosques. This can't be avoided. But the location makes up for everything. Within a 5 minute walk is the Aya Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Archeology museum. A little farther are the Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar, Galata Bridge! We walked everywhere with ease. The staff are friendly, but I am not sure how helpful they would be in a pinch. The spotlight was Ural and his breakfast spread. We would drag ourselves up in the morning and he would greet us with a warm smile. He would bring hot items fresh out of the oven to our table and every morning sliced strawberries for us! He even made an omelette our last morning. Our second room was a triple and if there were three people in the room it would feel small. The only negative thing I have to say is that they really need to invest in new towels! I am not a picky traveler, I stay in 2 or 3 star hotels. But I do not expect towels with frayed edges or HOLES! Seriously, go buy some towels.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tilburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Located next to the Aya Sofia, everything you want to see is just around the corner. Add up a nice staff, clean spatious rooms and fantastic breakfast and this will be an exellent place to stay a couple of nights.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tieske D
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This small hotel could not be more centrally located to all the most important sites in the Old City, in Istanbul. The tram is just outside the front door, Hagia Sophia, around the corner, Turkish baths, restaurants, museums, souvenir shops etc. in every direction!
My room was clean, with TV and a kettle with teas etc. The bathroom was modern, if a little tiny in the shower cabinet. The staff was wonderful. I arrived hungry and tired from a long tour. They happily ordered a great chicken shish kebab supper from Ziya, a top notch local resto for me, so I wouldn't have to go out to eat.
The breakfast has the largest variety I have ever seen in Turkey. It's included in the price of the room. Ural, the fellow in charge, is very friendly, and can be persuaded to a make a cup of real Turkish coffee, or a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. There's a beautiful outdoor terrase on the roof off the dinng-room.
Ask for a room away from the street if noise is an issue for you.

Room Tip: Away from the street with the tram. I had #108
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel definitely has some good and also some bad sides. The first plus must be the location, which is just a few steps away from the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque and Topkapi palace. It's within the walking distance to the Grand Bazaar and close to the tram stop. The room was really nice and clean with a nice view on a smaller mosque, the staff was also really nice and helpful. Regarding the price we got a special deal a few months earlier, so it was really resonable, but the full price would be a bit too high for us.
And there were some minuses, the first would definitely be the NOISE. Maybe we just had an "unlucky" room because it was facing the street - the tram, mentioned above as a plus became a minus in the night and in the morning, also the praying from the little mosque, which woke me up on the first morning, when I was still really tired. The breakfast wasn't to die for, the food tasted a bit stale to me, so I had more "neutral" food for the next days (or went out for a breakfast).
All in all it was a nice hotel and we both would (and maybe will) return again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This hotel offers clean and spacious rooms just a few steps from Hagia Sofia,Blue Mosque and the main attractions that every tourist who arrives in Istanbul for the first time has to visit.The tramway station called Gulhane is 3 minutes away.The breakfast provides a big variety of selection and the people working there are really kind and speak English fluently.In our opinion it's worth every euro that we have spent.The only problem is that there's no elevator .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed there for about a week. Though the room was small and had a window facing the wall of Archaeological Museum, it was clean and tidy. The housekeeping was doing her job so well. She was a nice lady who knew no English word but her smile was warm enough to make you feel welcome. We thought that the Safe Deposit Box should have been attached to the wall. It was movable and it could just be taken out. Anyway we didn't lose anything. The staffs were very friendly. The breakfast buffet was exceptional. The location is perfect. It was near the Tram Sultanahmet Station, Haghia Sophia, Arcaheological Museum, Blue Mosque and Topkapi. Since it was near the Tram, it was noisy from 6 AM till 1 AM. Anyway I got used the motor noise the second day. Besides we were out of the hotel till 2 AM most nights. There was a TV set on the wall with a power standby light which I never figured out how to turn off. It was bothersome to me because I always sleep in a totally dark room. We only had one bad incident there: I was having a shower when the water suddenly became too hot and then the water just stopped. I called the reception and then went down there myself to ask about it. Not long afterwards, water was back. At least the staff solved the problem right away. My Travel Buddy had similar experience bit later on that same day. It was generally a pleasant stay in this hotel. Exceeded my expectation :)

Room Tip: Request for a room with a window that faces an open space.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A good hotel, location is excellent, next to Aya Sophia, good breakfast, clean rooms, and best of all: super-friendly people. The entrance is small, and sometimes u miss it...

I took the double room, and they didn't have one anymore, so they gave me a triple room...

• Stayed February 2013