“The worst hotel I have ever been to”
Review of Emma Saray Hotel

Emma Saray Hotel
Ranked #742 of 1,092 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2012

When we arrived at the hotel they gave us two rooms (there were 4 of us) even though we asked for one family room. They said that this room was not available that night and that they will move us to it the next night. We arrived in Istanbul late, after travelling whole day by car, with two children and we agreed to stay in these two rooms for one night. But, when they took us to the rooms we just couldn't believe our eyes. They were on the roof top and even though we tried to negotiate with the owner he just pretended as if he doesn't understand English. So, we stayed there since we had no alternative for that night and the noise was unbearable. The rooms were a total disaster, stinky. The next day they moved us to the family room which was somewhat better, the bathroom did not stink that much. All in all, the only good thing about this hotel is its location. Everything else is total disaster. And the photos on the internet are a total fake.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Edina K

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We went to this hotel and stayed their one night. The room was decent for the price, the TV was a little small and it was noisy.. they also had children working at the front desk who spoke little english, but other than that it was fine.

We decided to go for a trip to southern turkey for a few days and gave them a deposit to keep our room for us when we get back. We got back late and found out they had given up our room!Then they offered us a tiny, very smelly room with just one double bed for a ridiculous price (we were 3 people).

Horrible horribe service. Don't trust this hotel

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Rosa E
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This was probably the worst experience I have ever had with a hotel. The photos on the website look great, but they are very deceptive. The hotel is a low end budget hotel, which would be fine if it was advertised as such. But they mislead people by making it look much nicer than it really is, and they try to charge higher prices based on the deceptive photos.

We checked in, and I was going to pay by credit card, but the clerk requested that I pay by cash. I did not have enough cash, but I said that I could pay by cash after getting money from the ATM the next day. That was fine with the clerk, so we went up to the room. My wife took one look at the room and the bathroom and she was angry at me. The linens were oversized for the beds. The lighting was poor. The fixtures were not anything like the photos. The toilet was broken and water ran continuously all night. The bathroom fan was too loud. There was no place to hang the nozzle in the shower. The electrical sockets were loose. The room was supposed to have a refrigerator, but it was not plugged in when we arrived. We arrived late at night, and we were traveling with a 2 year old, so we decided to stay the first night and look for a different hotel in the morning. I thought it was good that I had not given the hotel my credit card information.

When I checked out in the morning the hotel proprietor was angry that we were checking out early. The reservation was supposed to be for 6 nights. He demanded that I pay for the first night. I readily agreed, and I paid him in cash on the spot. Then after he had that cash in hand, he changed his mind and demanded that I pay an additional night. I refused, on the ground that the condition of the hotel was vastly different than what was advertised. His response shocked me:

"Do you think you are special? Does everything work properly in your home? These complaints are minor complaints. The photos were taken 3 years ago. You cannot expect the hotel to be in the same condition now."

In fact, I do think I am special. I think that every guest is special and deserves to be treated with respect! And yes, my toilet at home works, the bathroom fan is quiet, and I have a place to hand the nozzle in my shower. When something breaks, I fix it. Which is obviously not standard operating procedure at this hotel.

I got in a shouting match with the proprietor in the lobby. I offered to go to the tourist police to settle the dispute. He refused. And at that point I left, thinking that would be the end of it. It wasn't. I just received my credit card statement today, and I see that the hotel went back to Venere.com, reported me as a no-show, and charged my credit card for 2 nights! And this is on top of the one night that I paid in cash!

Bottom line: Stay away. Even during peak season when it is hard to make an advance booking online, don't do it. It is better to just go directly to Sultanahmet and find a hotel from one of the touts. Even during peak season, there will be something available, and you will find a better value if you go and negotiate on the spot. We had no problem finding a much nicer hotel, in a better location, and at a lower price when we checked out the next morning. The other hotel did not have a fancy website, and the owner did not speak English, but the hospitality was much much much better.

Room Tip: Avoid room s fronting the street. It is very very loud early in the morning because all of the tour...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Latinum001
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I ended up spending 3 nights here when my online agerncy confirmed booked hotel decided to ignore my booking when I arrived in Istanbul. For more on that see my reviews of Indo Hotel and Mitanni Hotel.

Stuck without a room despite my booking confirmation form, I reluctantly accepted to spend the balance of my Istanbul time here.

They wanted cash up front and did give me a receipt for my nights, but seemed quite unable to handle cards, refusing them from other travellers too.

The room was damp, so much that the staff left my window wide open to possible intruders after cleaning it the first night. It was not cleaned after subsequent nights. TheTV would not tune in, the hot water ran cold 4 mins out of every 5 mins, the wi-fi did not work in the room.

The breakfast was simple but adequate and one of the staff was very helpful organising things for me, especially as I had previously arranged pickups from a different hotel.

Another staff member who had come down from the other hotel was very troubling by telling me on my first morning that I would have to move that night as they were full. This was despite me paying up front for my entire stay there. I went out, taking my key, for a day trip but the thought of perhaps finding my things out of my room ruined my day.

The Emma Saray has pictures on its outside window and on the internet which do not honestly represent what it is like. It is possibly almost a 1* Hotel at best, but the cavalier and dishonourable actions of the management it shares with those other 2 named hotels quite spoilt things for me throughout my Istanbul stay. A shame for the one man who did behave helpfully throughout.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank rickbon
Reviewed May 15, 2012

There are good, friendly and honest staff, normal kitchen, good location, low price (readiness for discount). And there is no need to bang your head on a shelf above the sink, when tilted during washing your face - like in Rose Hotel (room 105).
Wireless in room is poor. Cleanliness and neatness of the interior, too.

Room Tip: Do not take a single room, they go out to the patio (see photo). You will suffocated.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2012

It was the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in. The pictures on the website are not of the hotel, none of the rooms look remotely close to the pictures.

The rooms are tiny, damp and smell really bad and nothing works in the room.

The staff are very unhelpful .

They want money upfront before seeing your room, once you get to your room you see why.

Breakfast is from 8-10am but we came down at 9am and there was no more, we asked if we could get some more but they said no all done.

Overall I can not express enough about how bad this place was, please please do yourself a favour and find somewhere else even if you have to pay a little bit more.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nathaliewackett
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I can't express how truly awful this place is. The pictures on the website are completely false. Trust the photos of theyre dodgy rooms shown on the tripadvisor website. On arrival we told the man who claims to be the manager that we had a reservation. He had to phone someone else to confirm. He then hassled us for money up front but couldnt tell us how much it was. He kept asking us. Very confusing.

We were shocked when we saw the room but were tired so didn't argue. Basically our room was a shed on the roof. So small we could barely get our bags in and hurt ourselves getting in and out of the shower. The smell in the room was awful and the bed was damp...well wet actually. There was no security and we could hear every noise going on outside.

Later we discovered that another guest had a room inside in the main building with carpet for the same price, even though we had booked months earlier than her. So we complained and asked to change rooms. The manager told us that the hotel was full. We arranged to check again in the morning as they didn't seem to know who was checking out and when. In the end we spent two sleepless nights in the wet shed on the roof.

When we did move rooms to one on the first floor it was definitely an improvement but only slightly. The bathroom still stunk and the noise of other people flushing the toilet was deafening as it ran through the pipes. The barely working heater dripped water onto the bed and there were ants in the room.

Within an hour of entering the room the light bulb went out. The next morning we told the young guy at reception, who barely spoke English that the light was gone. His answer was lights are finished. We asked him to buy more. We left for the day expecting it to be fixed when we returned as the room was very dark however when we returned after 7 hours it was still not done. We asked again and he got annoyed. Apparently Facebook was more important. After several heated arguments and reassurances on his part that it would be 5 minutes he eventually came and fixed the light.

Breakfast is also included, served from 8 til 10 but beware if you're not down before 8.30 as there will be nothing left and if you ask the young guy to refill he will tell you breakfast is finished, no more. Hopefully the young woman is around as she's the only one who does anything.

Staff do not listen to a word you say and offer no service. So ridiculously unhelpful. It would be funny if it wasnt so awful.

• Stayed: February 2012