Our trip details - 2 nights in August 2014 in double room with balcony. My wife and I went for a few days break in Istanbul. If, like us, you have never been to Istanbul before then this review is for you:
1. You need to be based in the old city. Sultania is simply perfect for this, as it is in some charming narrow streets (traffic-free) five minutes walk from Sultanahmet, which is where you will need to be. It's also very near tram stations which will help you get around cheaply and easily if you want to go further afield.
2. Istanbul is frankly mad and you need an oasis of helpful calm with good English-speaking staff. Sultania has that and is staggeringly quiet. Once in our room we heard nothing. Even the aircon was whisper quiet and easily adjusted.
3. Breakfast was exceptional and varied, served by highly attentive staff. We also had tea and coffee facilities in our room (unusual in Turkey I believe).
4. The room was really big, well equipped and superbly decorated (exactly as shown in the room picture associated with this hotel entry on Trip Advisor). The bathroom was perfect with an enormous walk in shower, great for two people!
5. The roof top terrace restaurant and bar is lovely, has great views of the seafront and Hagia Sofia and, for us as visiting Brits, was really pretty cheap (I guess because the exchange rate works in our favour). Note that alcoholic drinks are European prices but that is normal in Turkey and this hotel is the same as everywhere else in that regard.
6. The restaurants opposite and next to the hotel (one serves good, traditional Turkish (kebabs etc) and the other serves Ottoman cuisine) are both fantastic and really well priced at less than £10 for main courses. There is little need to go further for food for a few days.
Overall this is one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had and I simply cannot fault it with one tiny exception: The 'creamer' provided with the tea and coffee facilities in the room was disgusting and made my tea taste vile. Take your own! In every other respect - PERFECT - and would gladly go back. THank you Sultania.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Sultania is a deluxe boutique hotel with a harem design and located at the heart of the old city and within walking distance to Saint Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and Bosphorus. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Sultania reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.