“Fantastic”

Ranked #11 of 1,155 Hotels in Istanbul
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

What more can I say that has not already written about this hotel. If I could give it 10 stars instead of 5 I would. All staff in the hotel were simply fantastic from the check in staff,Bellboys, Customer Relation Ladies, Breakfast and Restaurant Staff and Cleaning Staff. Nothing was too much trouble.
We arrived at the Hotel at 5.30am as our plane must have had a tail wind. Our room was not ready till at least 1pm however at that ungodly hour we were given another till ours was ready. They even threw in a free breakfast. That is what I call good PR.
Location of the Sultania is perfect, close to all the major attractions.
I could go on but you get my drift.
Would definitely recommend. Thoroughly deserves it's rating amongst Istanbul's hotels.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jimbo4444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The location is great, the room is lovely (if somewhat smaller than it seems on the photo), the breakfast buffet is fantastic and the staff extraordinarily friendly and helpful. All in all a fantastic weekend to spend your wedding anniversary (as we did) or for any other special occasion.

Room Tip: A bit of street noise on the lower floors, but all in all not much of a concern.
LaPorte, Indiana
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed here for three nights in early March. My ride to the hotel (complimentary) was waiting with a sign when I exited the airport. Upon arrival to the hotel, I was promptly greeted, seated at a dest by the consierge and offered a welcome beer (Effes lager, the most popular in Turkey, and pretty tasty for a macrobrew). I was then provided all the information about my stay, the attractions, services offered, etc. The staff were all extremely friendly and the lobby was cozy with complimentary fruit, newspapers, etc. The room itself (I stayed in a room with balcony) was quite roomy and ornately decorated and had a theme based upon the portrait in the room. The TV was behind a large mirror, and hidden until turned on, which kept from infringing on the authentic historical Turkish feel of the room. The bathroom was beautiful with grey stone and a nice rainfall shower. The balcony door was quite small, about 4' high, and the view from the balcony was nothing to speak of with mainly another hotel and some rooftops visible. But, overall I was very pleased and impressed with the luxury as a whole.

The location is perfect, with all the major sites within a short walk. The Hagia Sofia and Blue Mosques are only about 5 minutes walk, the Grand Bazaar maybe 10-15.

The views from the rooftop bar and restaurant were spectacular with the view of the Hagia Sofia Mosque particularly impressive while lit up at night. The lobby bar/restaurant was also very nice for watching a football game, and the staff were particularly friendly and welcoming. The breakfast buffet, included in my room price, had a huge selection of cheeses, meats, Turkish dishes, teas, coffees, omelet station, and fresh squeezed juices. It was one of the best breakfast buffets I have had. When I was checking out a number of the staff gathered together to shake my hand and wish me off and presented me with a very nice metal key chain bearing the hotel logo. It was a very nice touch.

The only disadvantages I could mention, other than the aforementioned short balcony door, is that the elevator is very small, hardly fitting three people. And the indoor pool, although decidedly a bonus in a boutique-style hotel, was very cold and not heated (unless the heater was turned off or broken on the day I went in). Also, the elevator to the rooftop restaurant requires you to get a staff member to use their access card. Your room key will not work. A minor inconvenience. And for those of you wanting to sleep in, be aware the city plays music to remind citizens that prayer time is beginning. This starts very early in the AM and will probably wake all but the heaviest of sleepers, particularly if the room windows are open. But that's hardly the fault of the hotel.

Overall, I was very pleased with my stay and will definitely use this hotel in the future if my plans take me back to Istanbul.

Room Tip: I recommend the balcony rooms. Whether you have a good view or not, the sea air is very refreshing.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Terrence T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights earlier this month, and so glad we chose it. Not much to add to the positive reviews here, key things are:

- airport pickup was on time, easy journey to the hotel
- good welcome and introduction to the hotel
- nice big room (1401) looking out over street, no noise issues, huge bathroom
- room cleaned every day, the whole place is spotless
- good, strong wifi, free, and you can connect >1 device at the same time
- good breakfasts

Tips:

- the restaurant immediately opposite was quite good, and friendly

- if you want cheap local lunch, turn left and keep walking and when you hit a main street with cars on the left is a very nice local place with seats upstairs and delicious "horizontal" skwer kebabs. Highly rated by several travel writers.

- tram stop minutes away if you want to get across the river and towards Taksim Square area, you can walk to the ferries in about 5 minutes

- we tried the rootfop restaurant first night (it was freezing outside), just turn right out of the hotel, and then go into the next door restaurant who'll show you the lift to get up to it)

Room Tip: Go for one of the suites - not expensive, tons of room, even a little gas fireplace
2 Thank jeremy r
Ravenna, Italy
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The old part of Istanbul, where the hotel is located near Topkapi Palace, is full of winding back streets and when we were first approaching the hotel by taxi we thought that it couldn't be such a great place ... but on arrival we were greeted by the friendly and informative staff and were shown to our room, which was splendidly modern and full of all the necessities that make your holiday comfortable. Great design! One evening we ate at the rooftop restaurant and the food was excellent. In general, everywhere we ate was very good, even in the bustling street cafes just outside the hotel.
We'd like to go back because we found it such a friendly break and all the staff were really obliging.
One thing .. I'd avoid the wine because it's very expensive. Living in Italy, we're used to good quality, cheaper wine. Here we had two great bottles of Turkish wine in two different restaurants but they ranged from 40 to 60 euros a bottle.

Room Tip: 5th floor was good. View not great, but that's compensated by the position.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a 3 night stay in the Hotel Sultania. It has a great location and really is a 10 minute walk from all the main sites and 15 from the main bazaars.The welcome was very warm. Serap who checked us in was full of useful information and explained how together about. The breakfast was of a high standard. We did not have enough time to use the spa but it looked nice and again the staff were helpful. The room had every thing we needed except a view as we booked late and got a dark first floor room. It was comfortable and very clean so was fine as we were out so much. We would definitely go there again and would recommend it very highly

Stayed March 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The location of this hotel is perfect,in walking distance of all attractions in the old city.Each room has a character of its very own.Cosy,very cosy hotel.The staff are attentive and very curteous.We had only breakfast in the hotel which was more than acceptable.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the high floors for a bit of peace and a better view.