“A Real Turkish Delight”
Review of Hotel Sultania

Hotel Sultania
Ranked #8 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful few days in Istanbul. We stayed in the Hotel Sultania, a small boutique hotel in the historic centre, within walking distance of all the major tourist attractions. The hotel uses the phase 'feel like a sultan' in its promotion literature and certainly make every effort to ensure guests experience their hotel, Istanbul and Turkish hospitality at its best.The staff and service in the hotel were exemplary, from front of house staff, to restaurant and breakfast staff, housekeeping and spa. Everyone was so enthusiastic and friendly, contributing to a lovely holiday. The information and recommendations of the hotel staff were very helpful and little touches like Turkish delight in the room, arrival drinks,afternoon tea in the foyer, the breakfast box on departure, were all very welcome and considerate.
Our room was perhaps a little smaller that we expected for a deluxe room but we were impressed by the attention to detail and how well everything worked from the painted glazed screen and cleverly designed bijoux bathroom, good lighting, crisp quality cotton bedding, luxurious fabrics, the TV disguised behind the mirror etc.
Breakfast was a real delight, a tempting range of cold meats, olives, cheeses, fruits , eggs, breads, pastries, cakes, yoghurt, honey, dried fruits and nuts, jams, teas, juices and Turkish coffee or coffee made to order...We could have lingered all day except for the wealth of places to visit on our door step.
After a busy day of sightseeing, we indulged in the Spa and Wellness suite in the hotel basement...swim, sauna,Turkish bath and massage...felt very chilled out...although probably not the correct term, given the heat of the sauna and comfort of the warm heated marble in the Hammam.... a very relaxing, pleasant experience.
We also ate in the hotel restaurant at an outside table on what is a busy street full of restaurants and eateries. The food was of a high standard, as good as any other restaurants we ate in, in the City, with a delicious range of mezze, salad, fish and desserts served with Turkish wine, bread and water.The service was attentive but not obtrusive and we only thought it was a pity that there were not more people in the restaurant that evening to enjoy the good food and charming service.
In summary, our stay was short and sweet but this little gem of a hotel, its charming and helpful staff, care and attention to detail, excellent location, went a long way to ensure we could make the most of our 3 nights in such a marvellous, colourful city.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 75marym
yasmaksultanhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sultania, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

DEAR GUEST

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Hotel Sultania for your Istanbul visit.
We appreciate your nice comment about our hotel and staff and are very happy that you enjoyed it
It will make us happier to see you in our hotel one more time. We still have some more delicious delights for your tastes
When you need any assistance for everything, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I first came across hotel Sultania a year ago, and ever since seeing the pictures online I was determined to visit... and it was much better than I could have imagined! We were planning our visit around the time of the trouble in Istanbul but we decided to go ahead and we're so glad we didn't cancel!

Location:
Sultania hotel is in the Sultanahmet area of Istanbul: now some people warned me off staying in that area due to it being a total tourist trap, and yes there are parts that are tacky with bright neon lights but this hotel is tucked away in a quieter side street. The location is excellent, turn left and walk for 10 minutes and you're in the heart of the bazaar via some very tasty and cheap kebab vendors. Some of the other main sights are all within walking distance but there's also a tram station round the corner if you wanted to go further into town (e.g. Taksim)

Style:
The designer here has done a fantastic job, it's Ottoman style but with a modern twist and it works really well, I couldn't stop taking pictures!

Service:
So friendly and welcoming. We also noticed when another guest was feeling unwell the staff displayed genuine concern for his well being and were very attentive.

Food:
Very good breakfast selection of fruit, meats, cheeses and hot food (including made to order eggs and waffles)- very tasty. The dinner in the restaurant was ok but nothing too special.

All in all, I only want to stay here for any future trips to Istanbul, I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
yasmaksultanhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sultania, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

SINCERELY YOURS

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband I stayed here last November and were touched by the level of service we received. The staff were kind and ready to answer every question and make sure we were enjoying our stay as we passed through the lobby. Our room was immaculately clean and little extras were left for us each day.

The location is perfect to visit the tourist sites and just minutes away from Hagia Sophia and the Topkai Palace.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
yasmaksultanhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sultania, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just back from Istanbul. Our stay at the Hotel Sultania was excellent in every way.The situation of the hotel is within easy walking distance to the main sights in the Sultanahmet area, also the ferry. The staff are extremely helpful and welcoming, rooms are of a high standard, very clean and comfortable. We didn't eat in the restaurant but the breakfast was excellent,fresh, and with plenty of choice. The area around the hotel has many restaurants with reasonably priced menus.I would certainly recommend this hotel ..... It certainly contributed to our short break in the wonderful city of Istanbul.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

DEAR GUEST

It will make us happier to see you in our hotel one more time in Istanbul but not only for a weekend

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had a great 3 night break here. The hotel was perfect in every way. The staff exceptional. The location was ideally placed for restaurants, shops and importantly all of the major sites of Istanbul. Would recommend to anyone! Would definitely return here. Thank you so much for such great hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have stayed at the Hotel Sultania several times now and have found it nearly perfect on each occasion. I just returned from Istanbul and I'm planning a return soon, staying again at the Sultania. It is a medium sized hotel with very stylish rooms. It's a short walk to most of the major attractions and an easy distance to haul bags back from the Grand Bazaar. There are a wide variety of rooms and I think I've figured out my favorites. Each is clean, modern with an Ottoman flare and most of them have these beautiful glass shower enclosures with Ottoman harem scenes. The lighting in the room is also terrific with multiple configurations possible...much better than the usual overhead+lamp+vanity combo. The linens are lovely and the pillows were very comfortable. The room had a coffee maker, new windows that protect you from most of the street noise, good water pressure and the heating/cooling system was great. This comes in very handy as Istanbul can be cold/hot/cold all in the same day. Some of the rooms have balconies, some don't. I arrived late at night during the Taksim problems and the unbelievably accommodating staff let me look at 4 rooms before I made my choice. I extended my stay twice that week and due to prior bookings in my first room (a huge suite/family room) I moved to two more rooms during my stay. I must have been annoying but you'd never know it by the graciousness of the staff. They even showed me the Honeymoon Suite. As a solo traveler, it was a little too extravagant for even me, but I'll keep it in mind if my social situation changes! The breakfast offered both international and Turkish selections and served until 11 am. There was fruit in the lobby and on a rainy day when all the umbrellas were gone, one of the staff even offered me his personal umbrella. I am very choosy about where I stay and with a thousand cute hotels in Sultanahmet I usually don't like to stay at the same place twice. For an experience like this I will make an exception.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are best, some of the top floor rooms have large balconies but not the swanky glass sho...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Heather N
yasmaksultanhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sultania, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Precious Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and write such a nice review about our hotel. We are happy to hear that we could fit your all expectations. We would love to host you again.Please just contact us anytime you want to come back to the city.

Warm Regards,

Serap KURTDERE

Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you want to feel to feel like a VIP then this is the place for you, their motto seems to be "Live like a Sultan" and they certainly pull out all the steps to make you feel that way.
From checking in where they sit you in comfortable chairs with tea or coffee, no queues or waiting in line at this place. The rooms are not large but are beutifully appointed, the Spa and swimming pool area are also really nice relaxing areas after a hard days sightseeing.
The location of the hotel is perfect for most of the main tourist sights, usually less than a 10 minute stroll.
The breakfast buffet although not massive is more than adequate and the quality is very good, the restaurant upstairs although a little pricey is worth considering for 1 night during your visit or a special occasision just for the view, the food is also very, very, good. A meal at the bar downstairs (the breakfast area) is of a similar standard to that of the upstairs but at a more reasonable cost.
On checkout the staff go out of their to say goodbye and hope that you return.
Will I return?