“Great Hotel, Super Stylish and Amazingly Friendly”
Review of Hotel Sultania

Hotel Sultania
Ranked #11 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Hotel, Super Stylish and Amazingly Friendly”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have stayed at the Hotel Sultania several times now and have found it nearly perfect on each occasion. I just returned from Istanbul and I'm planning a return soon, staying again at the Sultania. It is a medium sized hotel with very stylish rooms. It's a short walk to most of the major attractions and an easy distance to haul bags back from the Grand Bazaar. There are a wide variety of rooms and I think I've figured out my favorites. Each is clean, modern with an Ottoman flare and most of them have these beautiful glass shower enclosures with Ottoman harem scenes. The lighting in the room is also terrific with multiple configurations possible...much better than the usual overhead+lamp+vanity combo. The linens are lovely and the pillows were very comfortable. The room had a coffee maker, new windows that protect you from most of the street noise, good water pressure and the heating/cooling system was great. This comes in very handy as Istanbul can be cold/hot/cold all in the same day. Some of the rooms have balconies, some don't. I arrived late at night during the Taksim problems and the unbelievably accommodating staff let me look at 4 rooms before I made my choice. I extended my stay twice that week and due to prior bookings in my first room (a huge suite/family room) I moved to two more rooms during my stay. I must have been annoying but you'd never know it by the graciousness of the staff. They even showed me the Honeymoon Suite. As a solo traveler, it was a little too extravagant for even me, but I'll keep it in mind if my social situation changes! The breakfast offered both international and Turkish selections and served until 11 am. There was fruit in the lobby and on a rainy day when all the umbrellas were gone, one of the staff even offered me his personal umbrella. I am very choosy about where I stay and with a thousand cute hotels in Sultanahmet I usually don't like to stay at the same place twice. For an experience like this I will make an exception.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are best, some of the top floor rooms have large balconies but not the swanky glass sho...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Heather N
yasmaksultanhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sultania, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Precious Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and write such a nice review about our hotel. We are happy to hear that we could fit your all expectations. We would love to host you again.Please just contact us anytime you want to come back to the city.

Serap KURTDERE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you want to feel to feel like a VIP then this is the place for you, their motto seems to be "Live like a Sultan" and they certainly pull out all the steps to make you feel that way.
From checking in where they sit you in comfortable chairs with tea or coffee, no queues or waiting in line at this place. The rooms are not large but are beutifully appointed, the Spa and swimming pool area are also really nice relaxing areas after a hard days sightseeing.
The location of the hotel is perfect for most of the main tourist sights, usually less than a 10 minute stroll.
The breakfast buffet although not massive is more than adequate and the quality is very good, the restaurant upstairs although a little pricey is worth considering for 1 night during your visit or a special occasision just for the view, the food is also very, very, good. A meal at the bar downstairs (the breakfast area) is of a similar standard to that of the upstairs but at a more reasonable cost.
On checkout the staff go out of their to say goodbye and hope that you return.
Will I return?
I sincerely hope so as I loved both Istanbul and the Sultania Hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Hotel quality - excellent; staff - very attentive; breakfast - plenty of variety; location - brilliant, very close to restaurants and all the major tourist attractions.

Particular likes - the Turkish Spa!, the attention to detail with the hotel and room décor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RosieStroud
My dearest guest,

Such comments motivates us more than anything and shows us we are on the right path.

Orange, Connecticut
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My friend and I just got back from a one-week trip to Istanbul (June 8-14, 2013). We stayed at the Hotel Sultania, and it was perfect. The staff were incredibly nice and helpful--from the reception desk to the restaurant to the wellness/fitness center. The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable (with air conditioning and also smoke-free). Great breakfast buffet. I used the small fitness center that is part of the wellness spa (open 8 am until 10 pm every day). Hotel Sultania is in a perfect location - you can walk to the major sites in the old city (Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, etc.), and it's even a relatively short walk to the Galata Bridge, Spice Market, etc. I would definitely stay at the Hotel Sultania again and recommend it to others planning a trip to Istanbul.

Room Tip: I just asked for a quiet, smoke-free room (most are in this hotel).
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank asr224
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to read that you had a pleasant stay with us; we aim to make our guests feel truly welcome and comfortable throughout their time with us and so I am delighted to learn that this was noticed and that you liked your room and the facilities.

Macungie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Have rarely stayed in any hotel that met every need so outstandingly.

The service was outstanding. They arranged a very reasonably priced personal tour guide for our 3 days as well as a spur of the moment harbor tour 30 minutes after we arrived on the first afternoon, giving us a bonus half day of touring.

The location was ideal. We could and did walk everywhere from Hagia Sophia to the Galata Tower with little effort.

Local restaurants were very good and very reasonable. Hotel breakfast absolutely rocks!

Finally, the rooms were spectacular. The rooms you see online are the ones you get. No bait and switch like most every other hotel does. They are showing you the real room you get for quite a reasonable price.

Only negative is not their fault -- beware of arranging things via email. Servers are spotty. Some things get through, some don't, and some things things get through but the confirmations don't.

Couldn't improve on experience in any other way.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending us to all travelers via tripadvisor. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a great time. We hope your travel plans would bring you back to istanbul in the future and give us an other chance to welcome you.Thank you again.

Sincerely Yours,

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is a very small boutique hotel. As we arrived we treated with a nice juice, the gentlemen at check was so friendly and so helpful. Every time we needed anything the front desk would help with no hesitation. What makes this hotel so unique is that all the staff are so friendly, so obliging and speak good English. The staff are so nice, and friendly. We traveled throughout Turkey and at Sultania i noticed that they were the most friendly staff.The hotel is really clean, and always had some snack in the lobby area which made the hotel look so warm and welcoming. The rooms are really nice and clean. They are small but i don't think you will easily find a lot of hotels in Istanbul with big rooms. If you going with a child it would be tough if you stay in this hotel because the room had no bath tub, was a little small and the lifts are small.The bathrooms could have been a little bigger but i would overlook it because the place was comfortable and always clean. Every night we would get the most divine Turkish delight. The decor in the hotel and room is so gorgeous you really do feel like a sultan in the room. I loved the decor in the room. The lighting made it extra special. Location is excellent, the train is so near, tourist sites are near, tons of eating out places, tons of shops for tourist near by! I personally would recommend anyone to book this hotel because its convenient and near to tourist sites, and you really get a feeling of the Turkish culture with all the decor and the staff really do treat you like a sultan, they really look after you as a guest.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Samee s

Fortaleza, Brazil
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The first impression is just the best. Low lights, low profile… No big lobby or front desk.

For some reason, they couldn't find my reservation and neither the transfer I've booked on their website from the airport to the hotel. Waited for 45 minutes at the airport and nobody showed up. Big mistake, but the gentleman on the front desk was nice enough to check me in early in the morning (instead of 1pm) to compensate that.

The room was impeccable in details. Unbelievable lighting gives an extra vibe to the place. The bell boy took my bags and explained me how everything works in there. They left a turkish delight on the bed as a "welcome gift".

The mini bar had some good stuff. Complimentary coffee.

The concierge guy was just perfect. I stayed in Istanbul for around 20 hours, and he basically made a schedule with all the places he recommended me to visit. Stayed around 20 minutes talking to him. Great guy.

The location is perfect. In the heart of old town. You can walk everywhere! And If you can't, the train station is 3 minutes away. Lots and lots of restaurants around the hotel.

One comment about the room. You can hear some noise from outside restaurants and streets. Not a super big deal compared to the greatness of the hotel, but it might be a problem for those with a light sleep, like me.

The breakfast was good. Not lots of options, but very good quality and service. They leave the street doors open. Very romantic I would say.

The daily rate was very fair. Around 140 euros. Paid 20 euros for a transfer to the airport at 5am.

I will definitely come back to this place!

Room Tip: Away from the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo