“Great Hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Sultania

Hotel Sultania
Ranked #11 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Poole, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I as other guests have booked the hotel based on the rave reviews. I was looking for a special treat for my husband's 50th birthday. It was everything that we could have wished for. The staff were excellent and incredibly welcoming and helpful. The room itself was as seen in the photographs and was very comfortable. We ate twice in the excellent Olive restaurant and the food was fantastic. I would fully recommend both the hotel and restaurant and would be very happy to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
yasmaksultanhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sultania, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
DEAR GUEST

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Hotel Sultania for your Istanbul visit.
It will make us happier to see you in our hotel one more time.
When you need any assistance for everything, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yeşim Korkmaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I booked the Sultania for 2 nights based on its high TripAdvisor reviews and its quirky yet sophisticated feel. It was right on!

Upon arrival, the check-in experience was comprehensive and included tips on ideal tourist itineraries based on my preferences. The concierge sought me out at the rather hearty breakfast just make sure I had what I needed for my sightseeing -- and provided great suggestions on how to organize my day.

The hotel is very central to the main sights, as well a tram stations for more out of the way destinations. Easy walking to Galata Bridge, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, etc.

I booked a Sultan Spa package that was worth every penny in the hotel spa downstairs! A great and relaxing experience (if more pricey) than a local hammam.

Overall, the service was exceedingly friendly, but not in a way that felt intruding or imposing. And the rooms were immaculate -- with a fun design. My room on the 1st floor was quiet and comfortable, despite being close to the street cafes.

Definitely check out the view from the roof deck!

I would definitely book the Sultania on a return trip to Istanbul.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Kinsale, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was my second trip to Istanbul and my first time to stay in this hotel. I have recommended it to my friends who intend traveling there later this year. It has a lot of pluses. Firstly, do take advantage of the transfer from the Airport - it really is worth and extra cost, though it is free one way for minimum stays. Secondly, the staff are genuinely friendly and helpful throughout the hotel. Thirdly, the hotel has an English speaking (Aussie) guest relations manager who is also extremely helpful and will make enquiries and reservations on your behalf. The list goes on ...the breakfast is one of the best I have had (do try their omelets). the location is central being close to the tram line, Gulhane, the bridge, Sultanahmet etc. The rooms are very well appointed - we stayed in the Hamam style room as shown on their main website and this appears to be the standard room - the photographs give a very accurate reflection of what to expect. Stay there - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I went to Istanbul for a conference and the hotel came as part of the package. I didn't research or inquire about the place, I just chose Hotel Sultania because it was convenient (the conference was held there). After falling in love with this city, I have to come back and see it again and I can't imagine staying anywhere else but Hotel Sultania. I've been in dozens of hotels from large chains to luxury hotels, and by far this has been the best hotel experience I've ever had. My room was beautiful, the hotel is in a great location (walking distance to many sights and in front of the tram line for farther distances) and the staff is so friendly and courteous that you feel like you're part of a family. Zeinep and Mesut were gracious and humble hosts in the restaurant, always smiling and always checking on you. Lovely Berfi cleaned my room and folded my clothes and always had a smile on her face. Semih was always ready for an intellectual conversation about politics and history and a spirited debate about football. And then there's Yesim...she takes so much pride in caring for her guests. From keeping me company at breakfast to helping me find my way around the labyrinthine city to helping me find specific materials required for my conference. I misplaced my passport (scary moment) and she was ready to take me around the city to track it down. Being in the hotel was as positive an experience as visiting the city. I'm truly going to miss Istanbul, and Hotel Sultania is a special part of it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank AhmadKareem

Farnham Common, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just returned from my first visit to Turkey and was not disappointed.
The staff welcomed us as soon as we arrived and were gracious and friendly throughout our stay. Nothing was too much trouble, they were all so friendly. In fact we found all the Turkish people willing to help, even after all the haggling and pressure from theirs sales technique, there really is no malice in anyone we met. The hotel was very clean and the rooms were brightly decorated and unique, just as the description described. Breakfast buffet was amazing. The hotel is very central in the historical quarter; all the main attractions are in easy walking distance. Go stay there and I am sure you will enjoy the experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
yasmaksultanhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Sultania, responded to this review, March 19, 2013

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Recommend that you book directly with hotel, they offer great package including transfer to/from airport in private vehicle (we were group of 4), half day boat trip on Bosphorus including visit to spice market and an evening meal in their rooftop restaurant.

Exceptional welcome on arrival, relaxed informal and personal check-in where information regarding our trip and sightseeing opportunities were explained. It seemed really important to the hotel team that we were armed with plenty of tourist information which was a very nice touch. The rooms are well decorated, comfortable and very clean. Everything that I hope for in a city break hotel was available in the room. Breakfast is outstanding, lots of variety with attentive staff. Great reception area with fresh fruit and nuts available which we chilled between touring. Unfortunately it was raining whilst we were there, but the hotel had umbrella's available. As we left the hotel accommodated a slightly early transfer as we were ready and we left with a warm goodbye from the team. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are a bit bigger, but not that important.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jude0506

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Pros:
Location is convenient.
Good breakfast buffet.
Reasonably friendly staff.

Cons:
1) Expensive for what it offers.
2) Serious problems with air conditioning. It the middle of the night the room temp went upwards of 35+ C, despite reducing the thermostat dial temp. The next morning, we were told that there was a block in the vent and it was all fixed. The same problem happened the next night. Then came the truth: Apparently, there is no cooling turned on and the A C system does not work. Therefore, we were asked to leave the window open. The problem with the windows left open: road noise and people on the corridor 'peeking' in a glance as they walk by. They should disclose this issue candidly.
3) Tacky interior decorations for family type stay.
4) Over rated.

Room Tip: Check: Noise, temperature control and AC issues.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family