“Still wishing I had bought the linen towels”
Review of Jennifer's Hamam

Jennifer's Hamam
Ranked #11 of 579 Shopping in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The only company in country working directly with the last families of weavers, making the best quality towels, pestamel, bedcovers, robes, linens, table covers, etc. From only the best quality GOTS certified Turkish cotton, linen and silk. A must see for textile lovers.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

It's been a year and I'm wishing I had bought the linen towels, but I had too much traveling to do afterwards to add to my luggage. Jennifer opens up a world of towels that you never imagined!

JennifersHamam, Owner at Jennifer's Hamam, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Thank you for your lovely words of praise and for taking the time to share them with the world. Your review has a profound affect on the livelihoods of the families we work with. This means that YOU are making an incredible difference!!! I and especially the weavers, who never have a chance to thank you in person, applaud your efforts. Without people like yourself, these artisans do not have a means of making a living with their art, so you must pat yourself on the back and feel good that you have truly made a difference with your words.
We look forward to your next visit to Istanbul and hope you will stop by again to see what's new in Jennifer's Hamam.

All reviews
in 94 reviews
"weaving"
in 87 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had done some research on where to shop prior to my trip to Istanbul and Jennifer's Hamam continually popped up as the best place to purchase quality, authentic Turkish towels. I made it a point to go and visit the shop and was not disappointed. In fact I was blown away by how informational Jennifer and her staff were about the material, method and history behind their products. I was also impressed that all of the products are done on hand looms by 9 families of weavers handing down their trait from generation to generation. I purchased two large linen bath towels and hand towels, 1 very cozy cotton blanket, a cotton bath robe, a linen pestamel and a silk scarf. With the purchase Jennifer gives you a info card on how best to care for your organic cotton and linen items and a woven cotton bag that is extremely durable and I use all the time.

It was also an added bonus to get a little piece of North America in a sea of foreign language and customs. There were about 10 people in the very small shop from Colorado, Arkansas, South Carolina, Washington DC, and Canada. We laughed and joked for hours. It was far better than trying to barter in broken English for an unknown quality and the uneasy feeling of being taken for because you are a tourist. This was an overall wonderful experience. I can't wait to go back for my next trip and my family is already placing their orders for when I do.

Weaving is a dying art in Turkey. We are the only company in the country that supports these artisans, but without YOU, we mean nothing. The time you have taken to share you wonderful positive comments affects the lives of hundreds of weaving artisans. It is a rare thing to make a mark, a difference in todays world and you have done it with this wonderful review you've posted. I and especially the weavers thank you and appreciate you more than you'll ever know. We look forward to your next visit in Istanbul.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were wandering down Arasta Bazaar in Istanbul and found this lovely shop. Service was friendly and informative and the products lovely (this review is being written a week after washing and using the gorgeous thick bath towels). Love my new scarf as well - thanks for the lesson in the new way to tie it. A visit to this shop is highly recommended.

Thank you for your lovely words of praise and for taking the time to share them with the world. Your words have a profound affect and the livelihoods of the families we work with. Without people like yourself, these artisans would not have a means of making a living with their art and the art itself would die. Although they never get a chance to meet people like you, they are always asking that I pass on their appreciation and thanks. YOU are making a difference!!
We very much look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Thank you, Jennifer.
Jennifer’s Hamam has obviously done a study of the Turkish textile industry, and has identified nine families of weavers that produce quality products.Everything in Jennifer’s shops is Turkish workmanship, made with Turkish materials, on old-style shuttled looms. These products are special and have exceptional aesthetic value. Jennifer and her staff took the time to explain the weaving process, how the cotton is grown, and the importance of textiles to the Turkish culture. His English is perfect and he knows all about the local culture and attractions. Highly recommend visit if you want to take home real Turkish towels!We will be back!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were recommended Jennifer's Hamam by a friend and were delighted by her fabulous selection of towels, robes and scarfs. My husband is extremely tall and finds it hard to buy bathrobes that fit him, however Jennifer had the perfect fit. The shop is a welcome relief from the heat outside and both Jennifer and her shop assistant were extremely helpful and knowledgeable, explaining how her products come from some of the few remaining weaving families. All her products are Turkish workmanship using Turkish materials and made on old style shuttled looms. I could have bought everything but settled on 4 towels and a bathrobe, which are soaking in our bath as I write this and can't wait to use them. If you're in Istanbul and want a welcome relief from the bustle of the grand bazaar, I would thoroughly recommend a trip to Arasta Bazaar and to Jennifer's Hamam

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Your words have a profound affect on the lively-hoods of the artisans/families that we work with. Without you, the art of weaving would die in Turkey. I, but especially the weavers thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support and patronage. We look forward to your next visit.