“Beautiful Designer Towels”

Jennifer's Hamam
Ranked #6 of 552 Shopping in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The only company in country working directly with the last families of weavers, making the best quality towels, pestamel, bedcovers, robes, linens, table covers, etc. From only the best quality GOTS certified Turkish cotton, linen and silk. A must see for textile lovers.
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We purposely went to this shop to buy presents to take back to UK and were really amazed. the designs of these towels are outstanding. Would compare some to Missoni. We bought x 3 hand towels and 2 face flannels for £30. They came with string with glass beads on with turkish eyes, washing instructions and 1 cotton bag. Fixed prices. Excellent Quality.The shop staff are great, we stayed quite some time chatting away after purchase - great guys and met Jennifer too. Got some great restaurant recommendations too. Thanks - will be back.

1  Thank pabloboltonio
JennifersHamam, Owner at Jennifer's Hamam, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

I and especially the weavers appreciate all your efforts to get the word out about the wonderful quality this dying breed of artisans create. Without YOU! this art and this level of quality textiles would completely disappear from Turkey. Thank you so much for your patronage. We look forward to your next visit.

All reviews
in 16 reviews
"fixed price"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Istanbul is full of colorful shops and pushy shop owners trying to get you to buy mass produced products. It can be emotionally and physically draining to constantly be turning down cups of tea or invitations to "look for free" while the owners hardly give you a second to think.

My stop at Jennifer's Hamam was a breath of fresh air. The moment I stepped inside I knew something was different. It is one of those places that just feels good. And, you immediately know you are going to end up spending money.

The products all come from Turkish weavers and Turkish materials and are certified organic. There are only 9 traditional turkish weavers left due to the rise of factories and Jennifer's Hamam is helping to keep the tradition alive. It's a purchase you can feel good about...and then become inspired to check out a Turkish bath for yourself. Jennifer recommended a good one.

Lastly, The shop owner, Jennifer, behaves in a professional manner and is clearly very passionate about what she is doing. At no point did I feel pressured or uncomfortable. Jennifer seemed genuinely interested in hearing my story and in telling me the story of Turkish weavers.

I highly recommend visiting one of their three shops in the Arasta Bazar..each one with a Canadian flag.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

After reading about this business online, we decided to drop by when we were in the bazaar next to the Blue Mosque. It is clear that this shop is run by a Canadian, because there is nobody standing outside trying to draw you in, and you can look at the wares without feeling pressure, even though at the time that we visited the owner was away on holiday. That made it a bit more comfortable and familiar, which was a bit relaxing after several days of fending off people trying to sell things.

The first time we visited I bought some soap. Later, when I decided that I wanted some towels to use at home (not peştamal), we returned, and I was shown a wide selection of hand-loomed organic cotton towels. I bought three, and more of the soap I liked, and was given the towels in cotton bags with some care instructions.

I gave two of the towels as gifts and kept one for myself. After soaking it in cold water for 24 hours and letting it drip-dry before washing it, it became even softer than it was in the shop. It's very absorbent and I'm quite happy with it. It wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than purchasing a similar towel at home, and no different from the other shops I looked at in the area. If you plan to buy a towel, be sure you're not near your luggage weight limit, because it is a lot of towel!

JennifersHamam, Owner at Jennifer's Hamam, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Thank you for your lovely words of praise and for taking the time to share them with the world. Your words have a profound affect and the livelihoods of the families we work with. Without people like yourself, these artisans would not have a means of making a living with their art and the art itself would die. Although they never get a chance to meet people like you, they are always asking that I pass on their appreciation and thanks. YOU are making a difference!!
We very much look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I had visited the during las summer but last week I really went for the good quality of hamam towels and accesories they have. The English speaking staff (Jennifer, the owner was in Canada) shows you all the range of good quality product and prices. You will have a hard time choosing among the beautiful colors and great cottons. They also have antique hamam bronze and copper bowls, the scrub mitts, and best quality rose creams and lotions. This time I went to the rug factory they recommend and came out with a small silk rug I could not refuse. But if you are not to indulge yourself with a rug just go to Jennifer's Hamam for a quality of products you can not find at least in the Grand Bazaar.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 2, 2013

You can find the most beautiful hamman towels and soaps in Istanbul, all in organic fabric (very good quality) and with beautiful color. staff very friendly and knowledgeable without being overbearing (this is so important !!).
the location is very nice Arasta Bazar, the bazar is little than Gran Bazar but for this reason you can find shops with high quality products. Highly recommended!!!!

In our busy world today, so many things go unnoticed. YOU took the time to listen, notice and make a real difference in the life of many weaving artisans by making the effort to write this review. I, but more importantly the weavers thank you for your patronage and your support because without you, the art of weaving would die in Turkey and all the people that make the beautiful, quality items you purchased would no longer have a livelihood. Be proud of yourself, because you are part of the big picture. Thank you!!