“pestamel from jennifer's haman”
Review of Jennifer's Hamam

Jennifer's Hamam
Ranked #2 of 535 Shopping in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: The only company in country working directly with the last families of weavers, making the best quality towels, pestamel, bedcovers, robes, linens, table covers, etc. From only the best quality GOTS certified Turkish cotton, linen and silk. A must see for textile lovers.
McLean, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“pestamel from jennifer's haman”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

high quality and beautiful product we are very happy with our purchase much better than the others at the grand bazaar/

Visited November 2012

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great quality, but...”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I visited Jennifer's Hamam in October 2012 after seeing reviews in several places. I was impressed with the quality of the towels. The workmanship is amazing and it's clear that the staff has great pride in the store's products. I ended up buying two white towels from Jennifer's new store (a few doors away from her original store in the Arasta Bazaar) along with several kese. The white towels at the second store fit my decor better and were less expensive than those at the original store (though not INexpensive...just less expensive!) Though I've only had the towels a month, they have held up well in the wash. I was concerned about the fringe, but so far it hasn't been a problem. The kese are also fantastic--very happy I bought those, and the price was reasonable. So the "but" of my review...I felt like I was getting a very hard sell from Jennifer, and that made the shopping experience less enjoyable. She is certainly knowledgeable and proud of her products, but there was a lot of pressure to buy and to not set foot outside her shop once you're in...it was a harder sell than you get from the rug dealers in town. I'd chalk it up to a bad day, but I visited her store twice during my stay in Istanbul and received the same hard sell both times from Jennifer. On the other hand, I didn't receive this kind of hard sell from any of the other staff. They were very easy to deal with, knowledgeable and friendly, and answered all my questions. So my advice: If you're not the type to brush off a hard sell easily (or the type who finds it annoying), deal with one of her other salespeople. It wasn't really a problem for me, but I think most people would find such a hard sell very bothersome. All that being said, I will certainly visit the shop again when I'm in Istanbul. The towels, robes, and kese are of the highest quality and would make spectacular gifts. I'm absolutely thrilled with the towels I bought.

3 Thank NicB70
JennifersHamam, Owner at Jennifer's Hamam, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
In our busy world today, so many things go unnoticed. YOU took the time to listen, notice and make a real difference in the life of many weaving artisans by making the effort to write this review. I, but more importantly the weavers thank you for your patronage and your support because without you, the art of weaving would die in Turkey and all the people that make the beautiful, quality items you purchased would no longer have a livelihood. Be proud of yourself, because you are part of the big picture. Thank you!!
Winnipeg, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“My lost opportunity”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

In October 2012 I had the opportunity to visit Jennifer's Hamam wth fellow Canadian travellers (the Canadian flag certainly helped me find it). I was truly impressed with the variety and quality of the products, as well as the advice and information Jennifer provided about the care and construction of the products. As it was still early in my trip, with many miles yet to travel, I chose only to purchase a washcloth which would easily fit in my luggage.
A week later when I returned to Istanbul, I had no room to take home any of the towels, nor the robe which I still wish I had on me as the cooler mornings and evenings have arrived at home.
My advice--if you see someting you want in either of Jennifer's stores, just get it and find a way to send/take it home--it will be cheaper than another trip to Istanbul, which I will have to do.

1 Thank 154954John
JennifersHamam, Owner at Jennifer's Hamam, responded to this review, November 10, 2014
Weaving is a dying art in Turkey. We are the only company in the country that supports these last artisans, but without YOU, we mean nothing.
The time you have taken to share your wonderful positive comments affects the lives of hundreds of weaving artisans.
It is a rare thing to make a mark, a difference in todays world and you have done it with sharing your opinion. I and especially the weavers thank you and appreciate you more than you'll ever know. We look forward to your next visit in Istanbul.
In the meantime if you have anything to share with us, questions, comments, news or otherwise, please feel free to contact us at jennifershamam@gmail.com
All feedback is important to us because we continuously strive to improve ourselves and maintain the quality we are famous for.
Thank you!!
Vienna, Austria
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Beautiful products”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

The quality of the towels and other goods at this shop in the Arasta Bazaar is quite outstanding and we were very happy to purchase two gorgeous handmade bath towels at very reasonable prices. However, unlike other customers, I have to say that I found Jennifer herself to be not very friendly or welcoming - maybe she was just having a bad day but after practically sneering at me because I had bought a rug on my first day in Istanbul and telling me that Istanbul is "not all about the shopping" she proceeded to ask if I was interested in buying tiles and/or rugs in one of the other shops in which she had an interest. Unlike all the encounters we had with Turkish people during our visit I found Jennifer to be a bit rude and stand-offish - but I acknowledge the many great reviews she has had and I guess it really was a matter of her having a bad day or me misinterpreting her comments/attitude. We would happily buy more products from her shop in the future.

Calgary, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Jennifer's Hamam”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I visited Istanbul in mid September 2012. The lovely hotel we stayed at (Sokulu pasa in Sultanamet) had wonderful towels. They told us we could buy them at Jennifer's Hamam in the Arasta Bazaar. We went to Arasta Bazaar in Sultanamet and met Jennifer at her shop. We had excellent service, and were interested to learn that the towels are woven by local weavers so our purchase was contributing to creating employment for local communities. Our towels were shipped back to Canada and arrived as we had requested the week of our return to Calgary. Not only are the designs unique, the towels are great. We bought both heavier bath towels as well as lighter weight towels. The quality is superb and the designs beautiful. I can highly recommend Jennifer's Hamam. If you go, make sure you have some time as you will find yourself captivated by the many lovely items them have available.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Elise-Doug
Thank you for your review and the effort it took to write and post it. Your comments and praise assist this dying breed of artisans in a way that you can never imagine. Their appreciation of these kind words will never be heard by you personally, but they constantly tell me to pass their thanks and gratefulness onto people just like you. Thank you for your support and patronage. We hope you'll visit the shop again soon.