“Good if it is what you are looking for”
Review of Jennifer's Hamam

Jennifer's Hamam
Ranked #7 of 542 Shopping in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: The only company in country working directly with the last families of weavers, making the best quality towels, pestamel, bedcovers, robes, linens, table covers, etc. From only the best quality GOTS certified Turkish cotton, linen and silk. A must see for textile lovers.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
235 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 548 helpful votes
“Good if it is what you are looking for”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We only went there to see what all the hoopla was about on TA. :) They had beautiful towels and we were shown various quality and differences were explained. The one thing I loved but outside of my budget and definitely outside of my packing space was the most delicious bathrobe i have seen. A natural cream color and thicker than a sheep before shearing. It was wonderful.

This is definitely a place to go if you are looking for the real turkish towels but if you are a browser and not too interested, look at the rest of the Arista Bazaar.

1 Thank jroihl
JennifersHamam, Owner at Jennifer's Hamam, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
A big thank you from all of us at Jennifer's Hamam and especially from the weavers!! Your support, patronage and assistance in saving the dying art of weaving in Turkey is grately appreciated.

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
“A Must Buy”
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

My son and I recently went ro Istanbul and stopped in Jennifer's Hamam looking for Turkish towels. To my delight, I found the most incredible towels....beyond my imagination. These super soft, absorbent, and handmade towels are better than any towels you could purchase anywhere. I waited to write this review until I had washed and used the towels I purchased.....they performed exactly as Jennifer, the owner of the store, had promised. If you want to turn your bath or shower into a spa experience, don't leave Istanbul without purchasing these towels. If you feel that you deserve the very best money can buy, treat yourself to these towels. Lastly, don't just go to buy towels, ask for Jennifer....and you'll meet a store owner that believes in her merchandise, very customer focussed, and absolutely...NO hard sell as the product sells itself. We left Istanbul, but feel that we brought a little of the culture with us along with pleasant memories of meeting Jennifer!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Truly Turkish Bath Towels!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

One of my goals for my trip to Istanbul was to come back with a suitcase full of Turkish bath towels. Rick Steve's had recommended this shop, which has two locations in the Arasta Bazaar (look for the Canadian flag and avoid the knock-off shops!). The prices seemed pretty good to me (especially for organic and hand-woven products) but I thought I could get some really CHEAP towels elsewhere. So I bought a few beautiful ones for myself and set off to get some cheapies for gifts (heh).

Little did I know that the prices of the towels had gone up everywhere else! I couldn't find a better deal, even with bargaining in the bazaars. Everyone else was charging the same for machine-made products of inferior quality. Chagrined, I made my way BACK to Jennifer's and bought the rest of my towels there. Except the owner, everything about the shop is Turkish, and the focus of the business is obviously supporting the Turkish families who do the weaving. You can also find some really nice hand-stamped copper bowls of the type used in hamams here. This is a low-pressure environment where you won't have to dicker over the price. The service is excellent, and I really love the cloth bag I got instead of a plastic bag to put my towels in - how green!

With both the quality and the price being right, how can you go wrong?

Spain
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Nice things”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

As most other people who go here, I followed the lead through other reviews. I did end up buying three lovely peschamals. The only thing I did not like is that, despite everyone saying this store is low pressure to buy etc, the day I was there, a young Turkish man was very pushy about having me try on a bathrobe (which I considered far too expensive for what it was) and did not allow me time to really look. He made me feel under pressure to choose, not giving me time to look and think. The whole reason I went here is because I hated the pressure at the Grand Bazar.
There is a very nice selection of beautiful and reasonably priced items, but Jennifer should know that her clients do NOT want the typical Grand Bazar pushiness of the sales people. I almost left because of this. In addition, this paricular salesman insisted that I visit the "neighbor" ceramic shop close by. I doubt this shop has anything to do with Jennifer´s Hamman.......
By the way, I myself am a clothes designer and have my own boutique.

Visited September 2012
JennifersHamam, Owner at Jennifer's Hamam, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for your lovely words of praise and for taking the time to share them with the world. Your words have a profound affect and the livelihoods of the families we work with. Without people like yourself, these artisans would not have a means of making a living with their art and the art itself would die. Although they never get a chance to meet people like you, they are always asking that I pass on their appreciation and thanks. YOU are making a difference!!
We very much look forward to your next visit.
san francisco
“Wonderful Products, Positive local impact”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Amazing selection of high quality and beautiful products - everything from towels to robes in huge spectrum of beautiful colors - much nicer and bigger selection than anywhere else we saw in Istanbul including actual hamams or other stores with similiar goods that don't compare.

Even better - Jennifer's store supports 9 families of Turkish weavers. Couldn't have had a better experience. She has two locations now in Arasta Bazaar (look for Canadian flag in window) Don't miss this store!

Also, I accidentally forgot an expensive camera with all of our vacation photos in Jennifer's store and realized only when about to board my flight. Jennifer took the time to reach out to DHL and another shipper to get estimates on shipping and then wrapped camera securely for return. So hugely appreciated, and probably would not have happened many other places in the world!

Visited August 2012