“Poor service & quality but with good location”

Ares Hotel Istanbul
Ranked #193 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Izmir, Turkey
“Poor service & quality but with good location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

I stayed at the ARES hotel (Istanbul) in Oct/ Nov 11, I meant to share this review sometime back but didn’t find time, here goes:
1. My first disappointment was that the taxi cannot go till the hotel as there is no pathway, stops about 150 meters away and had to call the hotel with the help of the taxi driver (who was very helpful) and told us the way to get there. It was quite a walk with the luggage.
2. Second disappointment was that though I had 2 bookings from bookings.com as I changed my dates and the rates had changed, only the 1st booking for 1 night stay was what they confirmed. The other booking to continue my stay for another 2 nights wasn't considered by the hotel even though it was a confirmed paid booking. Then the hotel staff at the reception said they are fully booked so not sure if he can accommodate us and said that if he cannot they will refund the booking amount (as the rates had gone up by then).
3. At the time of booking I had specifically requested for a room with bospherous view or street view, sadly I was given a room with a view which had a view of the wall of an adjoining building about 2.5 feet away so the balcony was locked and room was pitch dark throughout the day without room lights. When I requested for a room change the manager said they are fully booked but realized this wasn’t true as other guests checked in later that day as well as the next day and I saw their rooms were with a good view….guess they had paid a higher rate. The bathroom was tiny and with no ventilation it was stinking from the drain and this bad odour spread to the room. I couldn’t even open the window/balcony for some ventilation as it didn’t have any.
4. Breakfast is below average, well can’t really call it breakfast itself. Just a boiled egg, slices of bread, butter & jam. Fruit juice, tea or coffee, other than the tea others are horrible and or poor quality concentrate based juice diluted with water. Not sure of the Turkish coffee but the regular one was bad. The staff were very un-friendly and fairly rude not bothered, all they cared was banging this set plate on the table you would sit and not bother coming back even to check. I had to walk up a couple of times to ask for sugar, get the tea hot etc. There were cockroaches/ bugs on the sofa of the next table and a lady sitting there suddenly sprang up and shrieked, that’s when I got to see what it was. The hotel/restaurant staff were not bothered and no apology.
5. As per my booking internet was included in the rate but in the 3 days I was there they kept giving me wrong passwords for their wifi so I could not connect from the room of the restaurant. When I took the laptop to them to show it they would say its your laptop so it must be a problem with your laptop. I check with 3 people from the hotel owner/manger/staff and all 3 wrote different passwords and gave it. I just gave-up and used the wifi from the restaurant opposite the Ares hotel (DUBB) the staff and food at DUBB is great. I loved the place and the wifi was a bonus.
6. I needed airport transfer and day 3 of my stay from the hotel to Sabiha Gokcen the hotel staff quoted 100 euros but as I was roaming the streets I found a travel agency that was doing mini van transfers at 10 or 15 euros per person. So obviously I went with and don’t regret it. It was pretty good. The hotel manager was very rude from the time he got to know about it. He actually was planning to send me in a similar mini van and was charging a lot more 50 eurp pp. After that he started ignoring me and would not respond correctly if I asked him for directions or which way I need to walk/go towards to reach a place – he would give answers like there are many ways you can go right or left so I stopped asking him anything for his stupidity. There are whole lot of people on the streets who are very helpful and will help you.
7. I had requested a late check-out 2 hours after the check-out time at the time of booking and this was confirmed by the hotel. I spoke to the owner as well and he was okay with it. On my last day at the hotel, the hotel manager however kept asking me when I will check-out, and he started soon after I finished the lousy breakfast. And when I was checking out no one came to help with the baggage luckily there was a lift so I managed by myself.
All in all a very bad experience, I have traveled quite a bit and stayed at different hotels and to a great extent can adjust and manage ok however this kind of stood beyond acceptable levels and would like to share this bitter experience. The location however is great, it is walkable distance to Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi palace and the metro, cafés, restaurants etc. Worth avoiding this place if you have an option.

Room Tip: Road facing rooms are better
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank SeanTraveler007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

The location can't be beat if you are looking to stay close to the main tourist attractions. It is so close to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Basilica Cistern, Topkapi Palace, Cagaloglu Hamami (turkish bath house) and the Hippodrome. The metro line is really close as well. If you are up for a walk you can walk to the Galata Bridge and the Grand Bazaar or the Egyptian Bazaar. The rooms are small but they are clean and have the essentials. The service is great. They greet you by name, remember just about anything you have asked about or mentioned. They also have a great roof top restaurant, while we were there very few people ate up there so we got the roof almost to ourselves! All around a great hotel! I would definitely recommend this to others.
One warning is it is close to mosques so you will hear the call to prayer. Which in Istanbul is hard not to be around.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ihearttravel99
UAE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I Booked 1 night stay for my 2 aunts who passed by Istanbul on their way to Bodrum. It was their first time to Turkey and the staff of the hotel were very helpful. they gave them directions and instructions on where to go and how to. They booked tours for them (market price) and gave them tips on the new attractions in Istanbul.
Location of the hotel was great!! specially that they had only 2 days to see most of Istanbul's attractions and they managed to due to the great location of this nice hotel.
Thank you Ayhan and the whole team for the great stay and help you provided to my aunts during this unforgettable Istanbul holiday!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Pokanad
liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in late March 2012, I will not lie to you and tell you the rooms are great, they are small but clean,as is the hotel, we only used the room to sleep in so space was not an issue.

The staff are freindly and very helpful, what the hotel lacks in space is made up by its great location, when we arrived we went up to the roof terrace bar, which overlooks the Sultanahemet square with unspoilt views of the blue mosque and sophia's palace.what a great place to relax and soak up the last of the days sunshine.

Breakfast is the usual turkish style, bread cheese and sliced meat, we ate at the hotel restaraunt one evening the food was very good and not too expensive.

What stands out for me is the cost, we paid very little for a room in a fantastic part of Istanbul, we would stay there again next time we visit.

We found it very easy to get around as the transport network in Istanbul is very good and easy to negotiate which puts ours in England to shame

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the square
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rudolph-hucker
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

Very friendly staf! Close to Blue Mosque, Hagaya Sophia, Tokapi Palace, Hippodrome, Cistern, walking distance to Grand Bazaar etc. Tram/train lines and awesome view from rooftop restaurant. I'm definitely recommending Ares Hotel to friends and relatives. Mr Ayhan Salur is very helpful in organizing our excellent tours!

3 Thank joeblas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

I found ares hotel through tripadvisor. I didn't regret on choosing this hotel. It is close to blue mosque, sofia hagia, hippodrome, cistern basilica and topkapi palace. My husband and I enjoyed our stay. We will definitely recommend this to our friends.

3 Thank Emzmarie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

Ares is located in the very centre of historic Istanbul, a stone's throw away from the hippodrome, the hagia sophia and the blue mosque. Public transport is extremely good, right next to the tram line.

Although these are advantages in themselves, the staff are amazingly friendly and hospitable, and never cease to lend a warm helping hand.

Many thanks to Kadir, Osman, Ayhan, and the team of Sultanahmet. You are all too kind!

6 Thank Talossa